Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Early 20th Century Egypt

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2020 3:05PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Trying my hand at North Africa, early 20th Century, Egypt and Morocco for now. My first example, courtesy of Civitas, is this 5 Qirsh piece. Tiny 0 on the obverse is the 5. On the reverse is the AH date. The 7 at the top is actually an Arabic 6, the regnal year.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 9:02PM

I have one too:

Egypt 5 Piastres
    Sultan Mehmet V ascension date AH 1327 (AD 1909)
    Regnal Year 6 (AD 1914)
    Silver, 26 mm, 6.82 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Just noticed that spelling function turned Civitas into Civets! How catty of it. I made the correction.

DPOTD
  • Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Check out my MS66 same coin in my registry set
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/162426

• Options

Your registry set will be an excellent reference for me!

DPOTD
  • Options

@harasha said:
    Your registry set will be an excellent reference for me!

These are tough coins to find today in high grade. A very underrated series IMO. And beautiful designs to boot. My favorite denominations are the 1 and 20 qirsh silvers. The smallest and largest sizes with the same design are exquisite!

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 9:02PM

Egypt 20 Piastres
    Sultan Mehmet V ascension date AH 1327 (AD 1909)
    Regnal Year 6 (AD 1914)
    Silver, 40 mm, 27.62 gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Very underrated is a very polite way to put it, they are dirt cheap masterpieces of Ottoman coin art.

Welcome to the club ! :)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

That’s a splendid example of year 4 a scarcer date.
    Is it not going to be entombed?

• Options

NGC MS66

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Absolutely on target
    Great coin!! enjoy

• Options
    edited September 2, 2020 6:06PM

One of my favorites
    Strike, surface and color on this 2 qirsh so captivating

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, that color is amazing!

• Options

This IS a beauty.

You’re not that guy who sold that drop dead gorgeous 1 qirsh MS67 at $700 or nearby, are you? There is an eBayer with great Egyptian coins on eBay, all PCGS certified and Trueviewed, tremendously overpriced (per my taste), but with unquestionable quality or beauty.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    This IS a beauty.

You’re not that guy who sold that drop dead gorgeous 1 qirsh MS67 at $700 or nearby, are you? There is an eBayer with great Egyptian coins on eBay, all PCGS certified and Trueviewed, tremendously overpriced (per my taste), but with unquestionable quality or beauty.

Nope, not me. Would you happen to have an image to share? I'd like to see that coin.

Some of my stunners, all grading 65:

5 Qirsh

10 Qirsh

20 Qirsh

• Options

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    This IS a beauty.

Just found that ebayer seller you must be referring to. Has the 1 Qirsh MS67 available at 599.99. Is this the same coin?
    Agree - he's got many beautiful coins in high grade.

• Options
    edited September 2, 2020 3:50PM

Ooh, he lowered the price! I thought that it had been sold! I can’t say that I share your passion for the small denominations and in particular the tiny tiny 1 qirsh, I’m more of a 10-20 qirsh guy with the occasional 5 qirsh that I will fall in love, but I’ve had my fair share of ALL denominations of AH1277, AH1293 and AH 1327, after which my interest stops, with the exception of some copper Heaton or KN specimens of Fouad and Farouk (1/2 or 1 mil), of which I’ve handled a few as well, but my favorite favorite of all, is of course the « floral » one year type gold 100 qirsh, AH1293/12 -1886- , that I’ve owned for a while in MS62, forgot to bid on a 63 that sold for $850,forgot to bid on a way scarcer MS64 ex Atlas that sold for a ridiculously low $1150 then got blown away when an MS65 was auctioned and reached $2800....

Atom, your collection blows away that guy’s offerings, and I have yet to look at your registry set, that I simply bookmarked for later enjoyment. We are very few that like these coins without a head on the obverse, which I believe that is the main reason of the series being so underrated. The fewer of us,the better.

And the other good thing about Trueview, besides the fact that Phil can capture that unique angle of « glamour shots » as I call them, is that when you post the images, they all look identical, wether they are 1 or 20 qirsh. You also strike me as the guy who’s not that much into gold (but still, you gotta respect the ultra rare choice unc and above 500 (Turkish) kurush, not the deluxe ones, but the regular strikes, before Kemal), which is also fine with me, because I won’t have to compete with you when the next 1886 gold lira comes around. ;)

SUPERB SET! Respect.

PS: I just posted the first comment on your set.

Looking at the 1/20th and 1/40th qirsh, I believe that they’re probably the only ones with room for improvement, as in full RD ,especially since they are the cheapest of that all time finest set and good luck to anyone who would like to surpass you. But this isn’t in the comment that I left. :)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Thanks for your kind words

Know that the 1 qirsh denom is simply exquisite; all the details packed into a miniature version. I've still got to get mine encapsulated, it boasts beautiful toning too!

Here's my 100 qirsh you mentioned as your favorite:

• Options

So it was you...... :'(

Would you like me to sign a contract to wash your feet every day for the next decade? :p If, I say IF, you ever decide that you got bored of it.... ahem.... (and there was NEVER that little green sticker, make offer to owner....)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Don’t know if it makes any difference but actually it was not me.

• Options

Dimitri,

Thanks for your post on my set! I rarely look at them, but now I took the opportunity to add a few links to my signature, thanks to you

• Options

You’re welcome. :)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3