Home Metal Detecting
Options

So my current site yields no more coins

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 3 to 4 feet of frost action this winter will it be worth another try next year?

just wondering.
Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't possibly have just one site. With permission, I have been in most of my neighbors yards, front and back. Picnic areas, fresh and salt water beaches, flea market parking lots, under bleachers. If I do ground that's bone dry, I hit it again after a rain. Get down and give me 20 soldier! Have a good afternoon. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    You can't possibly have just one site. With permission, I have been in most of my neighbors yards, front and back. Picnic areas, fresh and salt water beaches, flea market parking lots, under bleachers. If I do ground that's bone dry, I hit it again after a rain. Get down and give me 20 soldier! Have a good afternoon. Peace Roy

I have a thousand sites, I was just wondering about revisiting this one next year. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in the Midwest where we get a long hard frost. After the Spring thaw a site I have hunted hard will give up a few more readings. I think the freeze and thaw can move buried targets some, making them easier to detect

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that you can ever get everything that is there.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would certainly try it again in the early spring....the frost can move things, and moisture will change the signal penetration....Far more moisture penetration than a summer rain....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

Just trying a small coil or an oversize coil will usually get you more finds. Also, switching to another detector with complementary capabilities will usually get you more finds. I use an Etrac for deep coins and an Equinox for masked coins.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

After 3 to 4 feet of frost action this winter will it be worth another try next year?

just wondering.
    Boston

or even 2 or 3 years Boston. just a suggestion

• Options

Thanks @johnny9434 :)

• Options

I used to live in Colorado and the winters can be pretty mean there. Sometimes in late fall, the ground would be frozen too hard to find the target I had detected. I always drew a 'map' of each place and after the spring thaw, I would take my 'maps' and go to the various places and I always found what I had detected in the fall. Most were cents, dimes, and quarters. When I told my brother what I did, he said I sounded like a pirate. I just told him no, because I never lived in Pittsburg. Ken

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing is for sure ... it can't hurt.

• Options

@Namvet69 said:

If I do ground that's bone dry, I hit it again after a rain. Get down and give me 20 soldier! Have a good afternoon. Peace Roy

Of course you were correct.......................Found a 1959 Quarter 8" deep yesterday :)
    After 3" of rain.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... silver is always good....Cheers, RickO