Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My old Dansco was the most ....FUN !!!

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sheeze, I have stacks of boxes of rattling slabs and could come very close to filling a 7070 with the coins in em.
But that would be a stupid move. For lots of reasons.

HOWEVER.....thinking back to the days of a 7070 full of what would be "problem" coins now, I can vividly remember the magic of flipping through the pages and imagining the times when the contents would have been used.

Sure, I like getting a new slabbed coin. But, man, the old days of innocence were way more fun. :)
Yes, I've thought of starting a new raw 7070.
But.......nope

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to look thru my 7070, yes many of the coins are problem coins like rim dings or scratches and cleaned, but as you mentioned its the history they represent and the ability to hold the coin not the plastic that is exciting.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 8:33AM

My 7070, which I have toyed with for decades, contains mostly coins that were removed from straight-graded slabs. Of course, it also has some problem coins (an antique electrotype, a counterstamped coin, and a variety of contemporary counterfeits).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    My 7070, which I have toyed with for decades, contains mostly coins that were removed from straight-graded slabs. Of course, it also has some problem coins (an antique electrotype, a counterstamped coin, and a variety of contemporary counterfeits).

Yep.. I know a lot of people do that. I just can't. It would be like repainting an original paint classic car to me.
    Although it IS tempting. ;)

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Filling an album would be fun if sufficiently challenging. Some sort of theme that would be practical ($$) for, say, XF problem-free raw coins (e.g. not first year of issue), but tough to locate. I like the idea of counterstamped coins, love tokens, maybe a hobo nickel. The theme would be coins with a story to share with non-collectors.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 9:21AM

I like the 7070, and have my PCGS holdered coins from the 7070 lineup, without the gold page.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    AzjediAzjedi Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

i have a 7070 and its my favorite book!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azjedi said:
    i have a 7070 and its my favorite book!

Same for me, but my 7070 is digital.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/album/213996

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Bye bye ...

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I swapped my coins from the Dansco to a CAPS Type album. Some of the coins were getting expensive and I didn't like the thought of slide marks or the disappearing trime as @SoCalBigMark posted. Even though the coins in the CAPS folder are better protected, it still is not the same and it's not as easy to flip through the pages. I miss the Dansco. I've thought of trying another but don't want to get into the new expense at this time.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy the coin and not the holder. I've cracked a few to get my dansco's where I want them to be.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another poster bites the dust. Jeez.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

Beat me to it......................................

Agreed. I liked "Toppy".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

Beat me to it......................................

Agreed. I liked "Toppy".

Pete

I did too, he did contribute. But that posting/subject line was pretty awful. Might have brought the house down if you were 12 in in 1955, but it just doesn't belong in today's world. And that's a good thing.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just like album collecting......PERIOD!
    I really miss those days. :'(

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't used albums for many years. I always had problems with the coins falling out, or sliding down between the cardboard. I worry about deterioration of the coins because of contact with the plastic or cardboard over long periods of time.

I prefer the Capital holders.

I have my complete set of Washington Quarters in two Capital holders.

The Capital holders are expensive, so I will only buy them if I can find them used, for a reasonable price at an LCS or coin show.

Otherwise, I prefer to store my circulated and uncirculated coins in the plastic roll tubes. They seem to be excellent for long term preservation of coins.

Of course, most of my better coins reside in slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file