Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How and when does PCGS assess certified coin values

Case in point, I have a few relatively nice certified coins and was wondering how often they may be evaluated.

R,
JimH

Answers

• Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

i have no idea but thats nice

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a massive undertaking to keep all the current dealer sales and auction prices up to date on every coin in every series. Take Gold for the moment - its up and down and backup -no way can it be kept current. PCGS does as good a job for the number of coins it list. But list are called "Price Guides" for a reason. They are just that "guides".As I said, they use dealer coin sales and auctions to determine values. But you can do the same. eBay,Great Collections archive their sales data which you can search.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • WS - Thanks, I guess I should have asked how often does PCGS update their guides?

I get their daily rare coin market reports, and wonder how they determine the overall criteria/assessment of those coins?

R,
    JimH

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2020 8:56PM

I would assume there are guidelines and policies that govern PCGS's "value assessments" and determine when a coin value needs to be adjusted...

If that criteria was published...we'd all be "value assessors" for coin values

My advice as a long-time buyer and seller of PCGS coins would be to pay no more that You think the coin is worth...and don't settle for less than Your bottom price to sell a coin You own

I have often compared the price I paid to PCGS's coin value...and I'm usually pretty good at it

Only on a rare and infrequent purchase am I surprised to find out I paid a bit more...but that does not decrease My pride of ownership

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold