Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Blue Hue on coins

Hoping for a good PCGS grade

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    gareaugareau Posts: 19 ✭✭

I went through over 60 proof sites looking for some good toning I have found out they’re very hard to come bye

• Options

Sets not site Lol

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are common and not worth submitting. You will likely get a lower grade due to the haze. It’s not the kind of toning that will garner a premium.

• Options

That sucks

• Options

Learning what and what not to submit to PCGS is as a learning experience which cost money LOL

• Options
    Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

@gareau said:
    Learning what and what not to submit to PCGS is as a learning experience which cost money LOL

amazing toning

• Options

Thanks. I like it too

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gareau said:

True enough! If it is something toned, I wouldn’t submit unless it’s very dramatic and/or has a unusual/unique pattern to it. If I feel like gambling I’ll look on eBay to see if I can find comparable coins and how they’ve been selling.

• Options

• Options

The 1953 is an older harder Coin to get a good grade on this has some blue toning in the grade was OK

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gareau said:
    The 1953 is an older harder Coin to get a good grade on this has some blue toning in the grade was OK

Your mistaking the haze on your coin for the toning on the 53, they are not the same.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those proof sets often come hazy due to the materials the sets are made of. Rather than a premium, they drop the value of the coins.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 8:17PM

@gareau said:
    Hoping for a good PCGS grade

if there is 100% no color toning and you are good at dipping proof coins (in well ventilated areas), now is the time. that haze will only harm the grade as others have said. just make sure to look at the coins in various angles because many coins like these have haze blue/brown and still have amazing toning depending on the angle. don't over-dip cam/dcam coins as it can reduce the frost.

dipping high-end proofs is an art, not a science.

what in tar-nation! i scanned that 53 5c and it came back a silver eagle ms69! - the cert pulls up ok though.

did you submit a group of odd medals with that nickel? the certs around the last digit turn up some interesting coins/medals.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gareau .... Welcome aboard...Some excellent advice above... Good luck. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    :/

:)

• Options

Coin collecting is a hobby to enjoy
    It’s what you like , it’s not about what it’s worth . Always remember a lot of opinions are from people who don’t know what they’re talking about and of course they are negative . I am happy I didn’t take the views of people on the forum I am happy with my grades

love the blue

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2020 6:52PM

@david3142 said:
    These are common and not worth submitting. You will likely get a lower grade due to the haze. It’s not the kind of toning that will garner a premium.

Yup, this! It is toning from the 1970 proof set packaging and very common for the date.
    Based on the grades posted...PCGS Price Guide on your quarter is $14 and $12 on the nickel. A lot more was spent on the shipping both ways, any insurance, grading, true views etc and this does not take into account anything that was paid for them. The toning does not make up for this. As long as you are happy though.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think all shield holders have trueviews.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The blue haze is quite common on 1970-S proofs.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gareau said:
    It’s what you like , it’s not about what it’s worth . Always remember a lot of opinions are from people who don’t know what they’re talking about and of course they are negative . I am happy I didn’t take the views of people on the forum I am happy with my grades

love the blue

I'm glad that you're happy with your submission results; that's what matters. As for the rest of your post, the advice you were given was spot on.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

As has been stated, this bluish toning is very common on the 1970 proof sets. Sometimes the cent turns out very beautiful, with a ring of rainbow toning around the periphery.

BTW-that nickel and quarter are very nice, LanceNewmanOCC.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gareau said:
    It’s what you like , it’s not about what it’s worth . Always remember a lot of opinions are from people who don’t know what they’re talking about and of course they are negative . I am happy I didn’t take the views of people on the forum.

I'm happy too because they look great in PCGS plastic.

I'm very happy you like your coins and thank you for submitting this. I really like them both.

I just pulled this one out of a mint set the other day. I didnt know anybody else liked them. The devices are a brushed steely blue, beginning to get gentle lavender accents.

The fields fade from blue to purple to magenta. It's the most beautiful nickel I've ever seen and it's from my dad, so I'm sending it GS Express. My pictures dont show the nice colors which is why I pay PCGS for TV.

The last image is closer to what it actually looks like but is still missing so much. I dont regularly photograph proof nickels so this is a disaster for me.

• Options

Excellent, came from your dad you’ll always cherish it and protect With a PCGS holder I’m sure in person the coin has more color to it ,very hard to take a good picture
    enjoy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file