Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rick Tomaska stickers...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I se all these "stickers" placed on slabs, some do bring a premium to the holder. Esp. Cac stickers. How does Rick's sticker stand up to these others? Does a Tomaska sticker help the PCGS Kennedy coin or not? I do have one in my collection and I know where to buy many more. Just curious before I spend my money knowing the sticker will bring a premium to my coin. Thanks.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met him at our local Restaurant few years ago. Absolute Coin expert. Highly recommended.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

Absolute Coin expert. Highly recommended.

Yeah, Rick certainly knows his stuff when it comes to The Kennedy half dollar, as well as, Franklin's. As a matter of fact, I have his book about those two coins.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

So every coin expert gets to have a sticker now :o

I could imagine some very cluttered up slabs.

• Options

I heard that Rick was once a part of the old PCI Coin Grading Co.? True? Also, if anyone on T.V. selling coins, I would listen to him before many others. ;)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

However, by recall not always the most equitable when it comes to buying....Great at selling, and lots of knowledge.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

I see your point about maybe a tad overpriced anyway. That cable program he's on I'm sure isn't cheap to run. Overhead has to be paid somehow? As for the unsophisticated, like mentioned above, he's a teacher in the subject as well. Even I learn from my mistakes. Just as long he's not deceiving anyone, like some other guy on TV. :)

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    I heard that Rick was once a part of the old PCI Coin Grading Co.? True? Also, if anyone on T.V. selling coins, I would listen to him before many others. ;)

I don't think Rick "worked" for PCI as much as he endorsed the product they were producing. I have a 1950 cameo quarter that really does not meet PCGS standards, but I don't have a photo to prove it. Here is one I found on line, you be the judge as to whether it is a cameo or not. I will note that I recall a similar signature series for errors at PCI which were endorsed by JT Stanton. I have one of those stashed somewhere and it was correctly attributed and graded.

As far as the Everest Sticker goes, I have only seen a couple and both were solid or premium for the grade. However, I was not a buyer of either due to the asking price. Let's face it, dealers will try to charge a premium for any sticker if they can get away from it.

Here is the PCI photo:

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion is he is an absolute expert .... at twisting population reports into whatever he wants them to make his overpriced merchandise attractive. He is not an asset of numismatics. Possible future numismatics could easily be turned off to the hobby when they find they have over paid

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

NASCAR slabs would definitely broaden the coin market!

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the CAC sticker it means the coin is nicer than your usual coin in the same grade . He does
    sell coins on TV just not at the mark up as Mike Meez. Not defending just making a comment
    as I see them.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin collecting 2020. Why pay once for an opinion when you can pay for 2, 3 , maybe even 4 more.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited August 16, 2020 11:04AM

Lol. Still, nobody answered my question. Does the "R.T." sticker on my PCGS slab, make my 1974s Kennedy any more valuable? :*

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, Rick is an acknowledged authority on modern proof coins. I also agree with others that he is using his name to push coins at high prices to newer collectors on his shopping channel. IMO, I feel he is taking advantage of those newer collectors in order to make the extra buck. When I see people doing doing that, I lose respect and discount the credibility of their comments. What a shame he went down the Mezack path. Just my opinion.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Why would it? That Franklin head sticker has no meaning to me. On the other hand I have seen an STP sticker before and knows what it means..."It's the racer's edge!"

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

The TV thing just turned me off on him. > @joeykoins said:

Lol. Still, nobody answered my question. Does the "R.T." sticker on my PCGS slab, make my 1974s Kennedy any more valuable? :*

For chesterb...no. In my experience/opinion, he's found a niche in the market that he can charge more and profit from. Generally, nothing wrong with that but when you add TV marketing and stickers on top then it just seems like it's a profit grab and the stickers don't mean anything to me. Does he guarantee buyback for what's been stickered like CAC? It seems to me, he stickers it and adds a premium to it.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, your sticker on the coin doesn't make it worth more. Some might actually consider it being worth less. In any case, your coin would be valued on its own merits in that holder.

Watched the prices in the RCI Coin World full page ads for many years, And formed my opinion for life.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot say if that sticker will be worth anything to someone else, it is worth zero to me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has SOME value. My two year old grand daughter might enjoy it. :D

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will dissent and say the sticker does make the coin more valuable... to anyone who values that sticker. I imagine there aren't a whole lot of such people out there, however. Not sure how the sticker could diminish value, as it can be easily removed.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    So every coin expert gets to have a sticker now :o

We need an EOC sticker!

Otherwise, how will I be able to determine EOC-approved coins!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

An absolutely worthless sticker IMO, perhaps as worthwhile as a Dole banana sticker.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the new norm that spoon feeding is an accepted component to make this a hobby it was never intended to be?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of these "sticker people" must be laughing all the way to the bank.

• Options
    edited August 16, 2020 12:23PM

How 'bout a

RickO Sticker?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give a Ricko BW sticker more credibility than that silly tomaska thing.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 12:50PM

Last sale on the Stickered version was $8 on open bid plus $3.50 shipping. My son Justin sells them in blue labels with no stickers for $10.99 BIN with free shipping and just posted (50) for sale in a single ad at that level (in line with a prior ad already out on eBay from a top seller at $11 with free shipping that sold many coins). This would seen to support the findings that the sticker may not add much value on this particular coin in this particular grade. I should also note, however, that the $8 seller of the stickered coin was out of Florida, while Rick is out of CA so it was probably not his firm running that open bid auction.

The subject coin in this particular grade is about as common as they come. The majority of every 50C coin in a retail friendly 1974 proof set is 69DCAM quality I believe. The coin does become very challenging to locate in PR70DCAM however. Also, an exceptional quality 69 DCAM coin would be very difficult to locate for this date as well. Show me one that looks even close to that 1964 Kennedy on the cover of the book and I will pay wildly huge multiples of the current prices I just saw on eBay! But, I know, they just don’t come that way. And, that does suggest that a special sticker has its place for the very special Clad DCAM coins. Having said that, the OP’s coin and the one that last sold for $8 on eBay ( eBay item number:133460407589) doesn’t jump out at me from the pics as an extraordinarily exceptional coin. But, might look better in person.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I should also note, however, that the $8 seller of the stickered coin was out of Florida, while Rick is out of CA so it was probably not his firm running that open bid auction.

Of course not. Rick would have listed it as $80 obo.

• Options
    edited August 16, 2020 1:00PM

Would this qualify for a RickO sticker?

• Options
    dimebagdimebag Posts: 108 ✭✭

just another sticker that blocks the view of the cert. number.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a world of mustard stained shirts and copious dandruff Rick does set himself apart.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's the P.T. Barnum of coins and you gotta love him.

I DO enjoy his commentary and knowledge and he DOES have some interesting offerings.

The ECC sticker stands for 'Extra Cameo Contrast' and it does appear on nice cameo contrast coins.

I'd pay a small premium for it but not that much.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has zero participation in the normal venues of coin collecting. With his pricing if he set up at a major coin show he better bring a book to read. A detriment to the hobby. The sticker would add zero value IMO.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    He's the P.T. Barnum of coins and you gotta love him.

I DO enjoy his commentary and knowledge and he DOES have some interesting offerings.

The ECC sticker stands for 'Extra Cameo Contrast' and it does appear on nice cameo contrast coins.

I'd pay a small premium for it but not that much.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 3:23PM

I don’t know how much he sells stuff for on TV, but it sounds like he’s trying to set/create a market for his product and may have succeeded a bit in being the high tide that raises all the ships of that kind.
    I’ve got one of his books and it’s a great resource for me. As far as his sticker goes, I might view it more as a novelty...but I don’t yet own any stickers of any kind, so there’s that.

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    He has zero participation in the normal venues of coin collecting. With his pricing if he set up at a major coin show he better bring a book to read. A detriment to the hobby. The sticker would add zero value IMO.

You never saw him at a major coin show?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 6:29PM

I'm going to start my own sticker company called "Nice Coin". If I think it's a nice coin you get an N.C. sticker.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a few slabs stickered at shows, but IMO the sticker does not really add any value. Just more of a novelty and I have not heard about anyone paying more because it had the sticker on the slab.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be coming out with "Rookie" stickers in Dec.

They identify coins that make a great first impression on someone who knows nothing about coins.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    Possible future numismatics could easily be turned off to the hobby when they find they have over paid

When you sell your coins, do you make sure your prices are on the low end, so as not to turn off future numismatics through overpaying?

• Options

Mine will a R&R symbol for coins that should be used to level tables.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like his books on cameos, but the sticker would be meaningless to me.

----- kj
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rick flipped a long time ago.

• Options
    KSorboKSorbo Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 6:54PM

I don’t want to fault anyone for how they make a living in this hobby, as long as they are accurately representing the product they are selling. However, once someone starts selling on TV I start to lose interest, especially when it involves modern proofs minted by the millions. Therefore I don’t see the benefit of a sticker, but if someone does, more power to them. I wouldn’t mind having a nice cameo Franklin sometime though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file