Home Metal Detecting

"Cleaning" my coins

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Decided to clean some finds this weekend. Never done that before.
I found this video interesting, you folks probably know all of this but maybe some new posters on this forum would like this info.

Also, let me know any suggestions to improve the process.
https://youtu.be/u4K89e6mNwA

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

OK

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

What exactly are you cleaning with gravel? Gonna add some soap? Inquiring minds want to know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted my rock tumbler method awhile back. I put the coins in the barrel as I find them. then I add sand, dish soap and water. Let it run for maybe 4 hrs or so. I then use a strainer to dump the mixture into when finished. Pour water over the mixture to get the sand out. I have a drying rack to put the coins onto let dry and take to the bank counting machine.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

I own the exact same Lortone tumbler, although mine is quite a bit older. They are $200+ brand new. You need to be pretty serious about metal detecting to justify the cost.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Bayard1908

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think walnut shells would be easier on the coins.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A vibratory case cleaner (for used ammunition cartridges to be reloaded) works extremely well. I used mine years ago for crusty dug coins (long since sold it along with associated equipment)...can use various mediums from corn cop to walnut shells....Cheers, RickO