Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

URGENT WARNING!!! PCGS and UPS deliveries - PCGS requires signatures, and UPS disregards that!!

cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 26, 2020 6:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Some time ago PCGS selected UPS for delivering coin submissions. For prudent precautions, PCGS requires a live signature on delivery. With a recent submission of mine, PCGS finished the grading and encapsulations, and sent it out to my address. I have a UPS My Choice Delivery so that I can track shipments and manage the delivery date. With this most recent delivery, I used my account to have the package delivered this coming Monday (tomorrow) as I have been traveling, and I received a text message from UPS confirming that date. Several hours later, I received another text message stating that my package had already been delivered yesterday - and the driver noted that my "signature on account." I most certainly did NOT allow that!

I immediately called UPS and after 40 minutes, I was able to speak to an UPS agent, who said they would have the driver come back to pick up the package, and have it re-delivered, and that once the package had been picked up, I would get another text message confirming that pickup. This is now 20 hours after I spoke to that agent, and now UPS is closed until tomorrow.

Will the package get picked up? And if not, will the package still be in front of my door when I get there?

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to know. I've noticed similar behavior. I'm asked for my signature a lot less during Covid.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does PCGS provide insurance?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I've stated before, I would NEVER consider having coins delivered to my residence. My address on file with PCGS is my PO box.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    I’ve had USPS (I know we’re talking about UPS) sign the delivery confirmation instead of me and leave it in the mailbox. Annoying.

The USPS is allowing that these days due to the Covid-19 virus.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I have also had “signature Required” mail left in my street mailbox (USPS). So far no theft. The COVID-19 world we live in.

• Options

In my neighborhood, the FedEx driver is the same one on the route for more than 20 years, and ditto with my mailman! (They know me well, and truly accommodate me by delivering packages at the beginning of their routes.)

The UPS driver seems to change every few months, and I have ZERO trust in them. I also expect that along with insurance, PCGS is paying for UPS to get our signatures (of course, passed on to us).

• Options

@PerryHall said:

PCGS does provide insurance, and adds that to our shipping costs. However, If the package was actually delivered and then stolen, I expect PCGS would say they have no liability for the stolen package, and we would need to fight UPS to make us whole.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, UPS is less diligent in their delivery tactics than the USPS. Seem to be more concerned about volume and deadlines and less concerned about the package left in the shrubs or in front of your garage facing the street.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that if you didn't receive the text saying the driver picked up the package then it's most likely still sitting there. I don't think either UPS nor FedEx are very good on customer service issues or following up with what an agent on the phone tells you IMO.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

As many have stated the drivers are instructed by their companies to social distance and not get signatures due to COVID-19. Since tracking is available you should be able to work with these companies to be home or have a trusted neighbor get your package. I think we need to work together and stop complaining about it

• Options

@PCGSFreddie said:
    As many have stated the drivers are instructed by their companies to social distance and not get signatures due to COVID-19. Since tracking is available you should be able to work with these companies to be home or have a trusted neighbor get your package. I think we need to work together and stop complaining about it

I agree somewhat, but in my case, I actually scheduled the deliveries for when I would be available to receive them, and UPS just disregarded that - even though I had PAID for the stated delivery date!

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@PCGSFreddie said:

I agree somewhat, but in my case, I actually scheduled the deliveries for when I would be available to receive them, and UPS just disregarded that - even though I had PAID for the stated delivery date!

That sucks, but then again things can go AWOL when in UPS's possession. Do you have a nice neighbor?

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Given the virus pandemic I get that signatures aren't done. And I don't have a problem with that so long as person-to-person handoff occurs. It is completely unacceptable for any carrier to deliver a signature-required package via drop-and-run.
    Lance.

That is a good point. Also, as a suggestion for USPS Priority deliveries you can ask your local post office to hold delivery so you can pick them up at the post office

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    I’ve had USPS (I know we’re talking about UPS) sign the delivery confirmation instead of me and leave it in the mailbox. Annoying.

I have the same thing except my mail carriers (2) will NOT leave it in my mailbox. I, only me, have to stand in the doorway and, even though it is a past practice, they ask me "May I sign for you?" This is every time I receive a package requiring my signature, coins or not. This Covid-19 has made a lot of changes in our day to day lives. I wish it would end soon.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2020 8:18AM

@CoinJunkie said:
    As I've stated before, I would NEVER consider having coins delivered to my residence. My address on file with PCGS is my PO box.

Good thinking. More important now.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

fwiw. i worked with my local letter carriers and on several occasions, fed-ex, ups etc and they had my number so they could text or call to make special arrangements. it turns out to be far less work for everyone to do it that way.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@cardinal said:

fwiw. i worked with my local letter carriers and on several occasions, fed-ex, ups etc and they had my number so they could text or call to make special arrangements. it turns out to be far less work for everyone to do it that way.

Yes, I have the phone numbers for my mailman and my FedEx delivery agent, and I get AWESOME service from them. I'm planning to speak with someone at PCGS to see if I can have them mark my account to always ship via FedEx - even if it costs more, it would be worth the peace of mind!

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@cardinal said:

Yes, I have the phone numbers for my mailman and my FedEx delivery agent, and I get AWESOME service from them. I'm planning to speak with someone at PCGS to see if I can have them mark my account to always ship via FedEx - even if it costs more, it would be worth the peace of mind!

Can you choose a carrier on the submission form [using your carrier account info] or are you required to use the default?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Can you choose a carrier on the submission form [using your carrier account info] or are you required to use the default?

see section 8

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

PO Box all the way for me. That said, it should not be a requirement for everyone. If a signature is required then a signature should be obtained. It's just that simple. For the cheap and everyday things that are delivered to my home, I have also noticed a lot of resistance to obtaining signatures since COVID-19. A lot of miscellaneous shenanigans are eliminated with a PO Box but I also understand they aren't for everyone..

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@keyman64 said:
    PO Box all the way for me. That said, it should not be a requirement for everyone. If a signature is required then a signature should be obtained. It's just that simple. For the cheap and everyday things that are delivered to my home, I have also noticed a lot of resistance to obtaining signatures since COVID-19. A lot of miscellaneous shenanigans are eliminated with a PO Box but I also understand they aren't for everyone..

In my area, the local Post Office has such a small parking lot, it's nearly impossible to get there during operating hours! Considering that packages from PCGS can not fit in a PO Box, retrieving the contents of a PO BOX after hours would not help!

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@keyman64 said:

In my area, the local Post Office has such a small parking lot, it's nearly impossible to get there during operating hours! Considering that packages from PCGS can not fit in a PO Box, retrieving the contents of a PO BOX after hours would not help!

Yup, they aren't for everyone! If an item is shipped with signature confirmation then a signature should be obtained, it's really just that simple.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@keyman64 said:

Typically most post offices have PO boxes large enough to hold PCGS shipments, but the real issue is they won't just put a parcel requiring a signature into the box. No doubt that PO boxes are less convenient, but the trade-off in terms of security is worth it for me. Equally important is that I can use it as my return address when I sell coins and other stuff on eBay. Better safe than sorry is my philosophy.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all coin related stuff sent to my office and there’s always someone around who can sign for a package. Over the last few years I have noticed that USPS service has slowly deteriorated. USPS packages which require signature are often left in the locked mailbox outside. I’ve had several packages delivered to the business next door to me without them signing for it either. I haven’t had any problems with UPS or FedX. I’ve had the same UPS and FedX driver for years while it seems like there’s a different mailman every day. I think having coins delivered to your house especially for someone like cardinal is a bad idea. The local UPS store rents mailboxes and they will sign packages for you. Your address if you have a UPS box has a street address so you can also receive FedX packages.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2020 11:49AM

Once it has been declared "delivered", you are just about totally screwed.
    USPS has never been a problem here.

One morning I opened the front door and discovered a box with ROLEX written in big letters on the porch.
    Thanks FedEx :#

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    edited July 26, 2020 12:15PM

@ReadyFireAim said:
    One morning I opened the front door and discovered a box with ROLEX written in big letters on the porch.
    Thanks FedEx :#

You got a FREE Rolex?? ;)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Pnies20 said:

The USPS is allowing that these days due to the Covid-19 virus.

Been that way for a while now

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also had a USPS package marked as delivered to adult at address vanish. I knew we were at home the time delivery was shown. When I complained I learned about the "adult delivery" being faked due to the virus. Dam.

Vplite99
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

No carrier ask for signature anymore for home address. They just left in the door or mail box if it can be fitted in it.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that my submission is coming back UPS as well. Didn't PCGS used to mail back submissions via registered mail as the default option. Is it just because of Covid? I haven't submitted in a few years so I'm out of the loop.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last time around May they mailed back using USPS priority but my address is PO Box.

• Options

@cardinal Irrespective of shipping practices, I hope you get your package!

• Options

@jt88 said:
    No carrier ask for signature anymore for home address. They just left in the door or mail box if it can be fitted in it.

My mailman and my FedEx guy never leave packages, and always hand them directly to me -- even during the covid pandemic. They knock on my door, and when I answer, they enter my name while I watch, and then hand me the package. Totally secure!

However, In my area my experience is that UPS stands for "unreliable package services."

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you have surveillance cameras with a fool proof back up video. Personally I do not even receive mail at my home. It is frustrating for me when sellers will not deliver to a PO Box....and yes! I am having to sign for my signature required deliveries to my PO Box!

@cardinal said:

@PerryHall said:

PCGS does provide insurance, and adds that to our shipping costs. However, If the package was actually delivered and then stolen, I expect PCGS would say they have no liability for the stolen package, and we would need to fight UPS to make us whole.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

UPS is terrible! Has PCGS really switched to them to save a few bucks? That is terrifying.

They constantly lose my packages, including a $3,000 watch I ordered. They made me file a police report to start a claim, then denied the claim despite the signature for delivery being literally two dots, and this was pre-Covid! I was eventually made whole when I hired a lawyer to send them a letter.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a problem with a lazy mailman. Rather than come to the door for a signature he just throws the slip in my mailbox saying he missed me. One day I chased him down the street in my car and we had words. Of course he lies to my face that he did knocked on the door so I told him to his face he was a damn liar. Since then he knocks on the door and does his job properly. He has a great job and too lazy to do it. Bad attitude too.
    Happy hunting 😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local carrier here does not require signature (even though signature is required) due to current covid pandemic situation right now. At the beginning of pandemic I was still required to sign for parcels and when the carrier stop asking for signature I asked and was told that "signature not required right now due to pandemic - until further notice". Same with the UPS and FedEx carrier. I had an expensive set of J.Wiener cathedral medals delivered and I asked if I need to sign and the UPS carrier said NO and handed me the package (from UK). What I'm doing right now is keep an eye for an expensive parcel on my surveillance CAM if I am expecting them on that day.

• Options

Thanks for the idea!!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a P.O. box .

• Options
    edited July 26, 2020 6:35PM

If you're worried about someone taking the entire mailbox, you could go one step further:

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭

I have long thought UPS would not deliver to a P.O. box

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file