Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

How come they didn't put DDO on the label? :*

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    How come they didn't put DDO on the label? :*

It could be that it was labeled as a discovery coin for the first 2019P AMP quarter found in circulation because if it was a DDO that would have labeled it.

As of now, NGC does not recognize any 2019P AMP quarter DDO's on their website.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Robot1010Robot1010 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

They know it's the ddo discovery coin but don't yet recognize the variety since it's not on cherrypickers red book or price guide

• Options

Coneca and Wexler both have it listed so it's only a wording issue until it hits the books

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robot1010 said:
    They know it's the ddo discovery coin but don't yet recognize the variety since it's not on cherrypickers red book or price guide

If they know it’s a DDO the they would put DDO on the label!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robot1010 said:
    Coneca and Wexler both have it listed so it's only a wording issue until it hits the books

are you listed as the discoverer on either of their sites for this particular DDO?

your post reads like you are saying the holder pictured is listed as discovery coin because of the DDO, which is not the case. It is listed because (it seems to me) it is the first one of that type to be sent to NGC. (which now makes me think of do NGC and PCGS and possibly others list the first one sent to them both as discovery? if so, that is absurd but another issue entirely.

i've not gone to verify this is a listed ddo but will take your word for it and say gratz on a neat modern ddo, although it really doesn't look like it from the pics provided imo.

do you have a link to wiles site listing this officially? i can nav. his site except for these moderns. ty

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Per their policy if it's not on variety plus then it can't be said to be a doubled die by ngc. If I went with anacs they would have labeled it ddo and discovery coin. I am listed as the discoverer on both sites. Sorry but I don't know how to link the site but can provide more pics. Obviously ngc doesn't put discovery coin on the first anything they see so I agree with you that would be absurd. Thanks for the congrats it has been a very exciting journey so far

• Options

• Options

@Robot1010 said:

thanks for the info and the pics. don't worry about the links. i believe you.

if you received a letter with the information from Wiles, if he is whom you sent it to (i don't know if they would take a discovery letter from wexler only because i've not sent coins to him), make a copy and either contact which service you want the coin to be listed as a discovery with.

i do apologize as it looks as though this may be a situation where the discovery on the holder is referring to the ddo instead of the first coin submitted (even tho ddo wasn't listed, which is quite odd and also i blew it because this isn't a W and i think only those were getting the discovery/first reported labels. ). if that is the case, it is the first time and i've seen quite a few. i would keep all documentation and communications from everyone for this coin so that in the future, you may get ddo and the number added to the holder, even if FS have not seen the coin.

i do think from my experience anacs is the way to go with coins like this that don't have FS #'s yet, as i've done several with them, the process was quite pleasant. all boils down to the amount of effort, time and money you want to spend getting it into a specific holder.

as a side-note, i originally doubted the doubling just because there appears to be so much die erosion/machine doubling and the images being less than optimal.

either way, congratz again!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

No apologies necessary I totally get why you would think it's something other than a ddo because the label doesn't say so. I also have not seen a coin only labeled discovery. I'm sure most are in private collections not for sale or cost a few arms and legs to acquire one. I couldn't find out how to get the fs# I guess when they recognize it in the upcoming years it gets a number. As for now I'm happy the way it is and this holder may be its permanent home without the ddo designation on the label

• Options

getting an FS as far as i've heard/seen is to get the coin(s) to the FS guys.

if it helps, in the future, mostly big discoveries, no offense to your ddo, usually get FS #s listed out of the blue. 19 10c ddo, 52 50c pr bugs, new die marriages in 19th/20th century coins etc. - i've had plenty of discoveries/first reported coins that i think were not FS worthy lest we just congest the catalog.

i've also lost the contact info a friend gave me on how/where/what to do with big new discoveries. i'm sure the info is held a little close so we don't wear them out with measly discoveries. lol

does anyone have the link to the variety page that wiles has which shows the most recent discoveries he has listed? it is a list of about 10 coins in the top right and as new ones are added, the older ones fall off the list. i have a lot of his pages bookmarked but i've been looking for it again after losing a while back. tia

this is yours right?

i rarely get to this side of the sight and didn't realize it was there with all the others. :blush:

• Options

Thanks lancenewmanocc. I was kinda thinking if its worthy then it happens behind closed doors. Not sure if this qualifies or not so I'll wait and see. I appreciate the help and info. Yes these are my coins. I had the discovery one attributed with Wiles last year and Wexler this year. Mr Wexler put it in coin world last month

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat find.... will have to watch for this in change....Might even check my quarter jar.... ;) well, it is possible...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks ricko. You know how the saying goes check your change. I find more goodies in everyday change than in bu rolls

• Options

@Robot1010 said:

this is yours right? <----you know this is a link right

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent.

• Options

Glanced right over it didn't see it was a link but yes that's me

• Options

Thanks aspie rocco. Good luck coin roll hunting to all

• Options

Being a newer collector I need a little advice. Would anyone here care to give me a guesstimate on what the approximate value of this coin is? Also would like to know where you think i should sell this at auction house or ebay? Thanks

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many others have been found and graded? Is this a top pop coin at NGC? You might want to hold the coin and see if it comes out in the next CPG than it will get included into the registry set at PCGS and be worth more. I like it. Nice discovery.

Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

Thanks 1Tommy. Ngc doesn't recognize the variety yet so no top pop. I think I read somewhere that they need to grade 2 before its recognized and that won't happen because they're not in cherrypickers or cpg. I'm sending 2 to anacs soon and hopefully that will help to end this viscous cycle. I know it usually takes years but I'm going to try and speed up the process if I can. Doesn't cpg come out a few times a year? Anyhow I'll probably have to wait for these to make the cherrypickers guide if they even qualify for inclusion. I may need to hold for 5 to 10 years to realize actual value. I'm not sure how the whole red tape process works. I tried to send to pcgs but they never returned my email

• Options

Thanks 1tommy for the insight on how the process works. Since anacs is the only tpg that will recognize this variety as of right now im guessing and hoping the same concept should apply with ngc price guide since they are now working together. Sending 2 off soon so we'll see what happens

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really neat variety - congratulations on the discovery!

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to rain on your parade but I don't think this is that unusual. A friend of mine found several 2019P DDO American Memorial in bank rolls last year and when I did an Ebay search for him I found one sold for $12 so we just kept them in a cardboard 2×2.

I am unaware of any W version that are DDO.

Believe me, I hope I am wrong since I have 2 in my possession which I will send off to PCGS for grading if everyone here thinks they are valuable.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone

• Options
    edited September 1, 2020 1:40PM

@WQuarterFreddie

To answer the question of whether or not to get your quarters certified, the first step is to determine whether they really have the DDO, and we would need to see photos to give an opinion on that.

If they do have the DDO and you want them to be certified by PCGS, you can send them in for grading at any time, but you're better off waiting until PCGS starts attributing the variety so you can get that attribution on the label.

Die varieties like doubled dies don't leave the mint randomly mixed with all other coins - they go out in batches. So, if you get lucky and find the right rolls, you may find several together, even if it is a rare variety.

• Options

Thanks ikest and wquarterfreddie. No worries it's always sunny from my point of view. Glad you ran across a few of this variety. In no way are they super valuable at this point just another cool new variety to collect. Only time will tell value wise. I bought one for 5 bucks last year. Definitely unique as I have never seen a doubled die with such strong die deterioration doubling. Good luck with the grading but as you can see ngc maybe pcgs won't recognize this variety yet so I'm going with anacs unless you know something I don't which is absolutely possible. I hope you're wrong too in a good way. There's no shortage of collectors so it should be an easy sale if that's what you're doing. If I see any for sale I'm buying. That should be a good sign

• Options

@Robot1010 said:
    Definitely unique as I have never seen a doubled die with such strong die deterioration doubling.

There are also some true doubled die varieties that commonly have machine doubling on them, as well. It pays to look carefully!

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please keep us updated on your quest. Good luck!

• Options

I check check and recheck absolutely everything. If I don't know I don't let go. There's a reason for the coin shortage. Us. The mint better step it up because I'm not the only coin hoarder out there. With the sellout of the ase s we know there are well over 40k serious collectors out there. Thanks and I will update when I grading is complete. Good luck to all in your endeavors collecting and otherwise

• Options

Just looked at the comment about if these are actually the ddo. I knew there was something to these when I found the first in circulation. A few days later I found one about an hours drive away at a currency exchange. I had them attributed with Wiles and Wexler and the coin has also been in coin world. It may not make financial sense to have them graded now but I want to preserve them and crossover when recognized by tpg because this is my first discovery. I also want to try and get it in the price guide. Good luck to me

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a DDO. I see shelf doubling. Just what I see.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file