Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Vermontensium... Fork

I wanted to share a pretty cool numismatic item i recently picked up. Its not a coin but has a sweet relation to them. William Coley and Daniel Van Voorhis had a very short two year partnership together from 1785-87. During this time they were under contract to mint coppers for vermont. William Coley engraved the dies for the vermont landscape coins and Daniel Van Voorhis minted the coins from my understanding. While colonial forks are super rare to begin with this one was made by a cool numismatic partnership . I would think they would have been pretty busy with the minting operation, im curious to how much silver they actually made.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting,... would be nice to find one of those old coins....maybe at an estate sale or antique shop grab bag....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Two of my favorite hobbies combined! I have a colonial spoon by William Hollingshead who in addition to being a silversmith, was also a regulator in Philadelphia.

• Options

Same mark, not my coin

• Options
    steviegetzsteviegetz Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Thats sweet! Mine too! Few months ago i picked up a Daniel Van Voorhis Ladle with the same mark he used to regulate gold! There is a spoon on ebay with the same mark right now but its damaged. I think alot of Voorhis spoons cracked same spot tho. Weakness of design. Also not my coin...

• Options

Very cool connection!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that fork a sticker?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file