Home U.S. Coin Forum

1968s PF DDR- Quarter?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 21, 2020 12:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guy's. Can I once again get your help? Is this the real McCoy? Split Serifs? ThankYou!

Thank you! :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• TestoonTestoon Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

That is a doubled die. You can see the notching on the corners of the ES in STATES, for example.

Bill
    witty quote goes here
  • JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks good to me!

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• NomaderNomader Posts: 122 ✭✭

You got it!!!

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep! I cherried several of the '68-S DDO-001 but could never find this DDR-001. It's a toughie! Did you cherrypick it?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2020 2:12PM

Nice! Excellent pics!

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's it worth?

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2020 3:06PM

@koynekwest said:
    Yep! I cherried several of the '68-S DDO-001 but could never find this DDR-001. It's a toughie! Did you cherrypick it?

Yes! I did cherry pick it! Thanks guy's. I seem to be on a roll. I picked a 1981s half Type 2, yesterday at the same shop. <3

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    edited June 20, 2020 6:16PM

@erwindoc said:
    What's it worth?

According to the C.P.G. in a 63 it's worth, $250? I'm thinking I must have at least a 64, maybe 65?

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@erwindoc said:
    What's it worth?

@erwindoc said:
    What's it worth?

According to the C.P.G. in a 63 it's worth, $250?

Nice!

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great! Congratulations!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Get Ready. You know, I'm sending this one in! Lol " Anticipation" kicking in already. :D

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Get Ready. You know, I'm sending this one in! Lol " Anticipation" kicking in already. :D

I don't blame you for wanting to see it in plastic. but all these single coin submissions are going to add up. ;)

P.S. - congratulations!

@joeykoins said:

@koynekwest said:

Yes! I did cherry pick it! Thanks guy's. I seem to be on a roll. I picked a 1981s half Type 2, yesterday at the same shop. <3

Well, congratulations to you!

edited June 20, 2020 3:53PM

Sales from Heritage range from $164.50 for a PR67 in 2017 to $432 for a PR68 in 2018. These are the only two sold.

It's impossible to grade yours from those images joeykoins.

By the way, there is an important lesson here, especially for newer collectors.

By familiarizing yourself with known varieties you can focus your search for those. It is far more productive than someone scrutinizing every coin for varieties that don't exist on those dates/mm.

Here's a couple of image of the 1968-S PR DDO-001, which is a Class I doubled die. Since the hubbings are very close in strength it doesn't "jump out" like many other strong doubled dies.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good find - that is a hard variety to cherrypick!

The Great Collections website is a great resource for past sales records:

https://www.greatcollections.com/search.php?fromyear=&toyear=2020&grade_range_1=1&grade_range_2=70&ungraded=0&ungraded=1&fromprice=&toprice=&mode=product&sort=02&series=0&q=1968+s+quarter+fs+801&listing_type=4&frombid=0&tobid=500

Don't rely on the price guides from CPG - they are usually way off!

I have one of this variety that I legitimately cherrypicked, and another that felt like a cherrypick, but wasn't. The coin was labeled as the DDR in the slab (which was shown in the listing photo), but nothing about the DDR was mentioned in the listing title or description (and the price was not a DDR price). I'd like to find more listings like that!

Thanks for all that info. B)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find....You did well.....Also, excellent pictures. You are on a roll Joey...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file