Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Week: "The Great U.S. Mint Silver Coin Swindle"

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is new to me. I'm sure some old timers and Mint historians will remember this period.

The Great U.S. Mint Silver Coin Swindle
By Tom DeLorey -June 1, 2020

Most U.S. coin collectors know that the United States Mint continued to pump 1964-dated 90% silver dimes, quarters and half dollars into circulation through 1965 and into early 1966. The reasons for doing this were several, some of them quite reasonable at the time.

What most collectors do not know is that in the second half of 1967 the Mint secretly began clawing some of that silver back, melting down dimes and quarters and refining it back into .999 fine bars that could be sold at a higher price than the face value on the coins so destroyed.

Mint Director Eva Adams watches a coin sorting machine pull out silver quarters.
Image Credit: Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine / Coin World. Used with Permission.

Article continues in link.

https://coinweek.com/modern-coins/the-great-silver-coin-swindle/

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting article.... I did not realize the Mint's efforts were so extensive. And yet, I did get a silver dime in change recently... :o Just lucky I guess....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

I got change at either Dunkin doughnuts or Mcdonalds and got 2 Silver Nickels and a steel cent.
    Someone must have been cleaning out their sock drawer.
    But as far as the OP comments, I always wondered what the gubermint did with the old silver coins that they pulled out of circulation. Along those lines, why did they keep those millions of morgan dollars and not melt them ?
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a shame to let all that silver coin into circulation then do all that work to recover it. Amazing

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:
    I got change at either Dunkin doughnuts or Mcdonalds and got 2 Silver Nickels and a steel cent.
    Someone must have been cleaning out their sock drawer.
    But as far as the OP comments, I always wondered what the gubermint did with the old silver coins that they pulled out of circulation. Along those lines, why did they keep those millions of morgan dollars and not melt them ?
    Bob

My supposition is they needed them until 1965 to back the silver certificates. Then they came up with the brilliant idea of selling them to the public at enough profit to be worthwhile (at the time).

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2020 11:22AM

@TurtleCat said:

My supposition is they needed them until 1965 to back the silver certificates. Then they came up with the brilliant idea of selling them to the public at enough profit to be worthwhile (at the time).

Yeah but those GSA sales didn't start till 1973 I think.. maybe it took the Government that long to remember they still had them,
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:

@TurtleCat said:

Yeah but those GSA sales didn't start till 1973 I think.. maybe it took the Government that long to remember they still had them,
    Bob

You're probably right. >:)

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:

@TurtleCat said:

Bob

They were literally holding onto hundreds of bags of CC minted dollars that had been stored at the Philadelphia mint into the 1960's. They were the bigger part of the GSA sales. There were some non- Carson City dollars in the sale, but they were a small part of the sale and largely overlooked now.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting history. Swindle in the title strikes me as hyperbolic clickbait, however.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Interesting history. Swindle in the title strikes me as hyperbolic clickbait, however.

That is not the title I put on the article, but authors do not have the final say in such matters. I did not like it either.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    What a shame to let all that silver coin into circulation then do all that work to recover it. Amazing

Sounds like a normal day in the life of a fed to me.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US government needed the silver for the Vietnam war which was to be fought with high-tech weapons.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

It figures.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

So- you take bullion worth more than face value, spend money turning it into coinage worth- well... face value, then melt it and you've got your bullion back.

I think the "swindle" is that taxpayers paid to have this done.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShadyDave said:

@johnny9434 said:

Sounds like a normal day in the life of a fed to me.

Make 3 copies throw the first two out.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@MasonG said:
    So- you take bullion worth more than face value, spend money turning it into coinage worth- well... face value, then melt it and you've got your bullion back.

I think the "swindle" is that taxpayers paid to have this done.

What most collectors do not know is that in the second half of 1967 the Mint secretly began clawing some of that silver back, melting down dimes and quarters and refining it back into .999 fine bars that could be sold at a higher price than the face value on the coins so destroyed.

The coins were already in possession of the government. Why wouldn't they maximize the value of that asset?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    The coins were already in possession of the government. Why wouldn't they maximize the value of that asset?

According to the OP:

"Most U.S. coin collectors know that the United States Mint continued to pump 1964-dated 90% silver dimes, quarters and half dollars into circulation through 1965 and into early 1966. What most collectors do not know is that in the second half of 1967 the Mint secretly began clawing some of that silver back..."

That makes it sound like the mint was recovering coins from circulation. I suppose "clawing back" could have a different meaning, but I'm not sure what that might be.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@CoinJunkie said:

According to the OP:

"Most U.S. coin collectors know that the United States Mint continued to pump 1964-dated 90% silver dimes, quarters and half dollars into circulation through 1965 and into early 1966. What most collectors do not know is that in the second half of 1967 the Mint secretly began clawing some of that silver back..."

That makes it sound like the mint was recovering coins from circulation. I suppose "clawing back" could have a different meaning, but I'm not sure what that might be.

During testimony before a House Subcommittee on Appropriations on February 27, 1968, Mint Director Eva Adams said “During 1967 the Mint was assigned an additional task resulting from the decision to recall circulating coins from the Federal Reserve System in order that silver Dimes and Quarters could be held as reserve inventories for emergency situations. The Mint will separate the mixed lots of subsidiary coins returned, retaining the silver coins.”

I guess it depends on how you read the above. To me, the Federal Reserve System is part of the government, so I stand by my original statement. If the government was actually demanding that retail banks return silver coins in exchange for clad, I'd feel differently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file