Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1986 Fleer Basketball Sequence

cabowabo1963cabowabo1963 Posts: 5

I've been reading other discussions about this subject. I purchased 2 packs recently and was able to identify Gerald Wilkins on top. The pack has been not tampered with. What cards are next? I'm thinking of ripping! Thanks

I'm not sure if I said the Gerald Wilkins on top. The card is upside down. I wonder if that is the sequence change

Tagged:

Comments

• hamilton989hamilton989 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 12:59PM

I think you may have missed 57 by one. I think the next card after him is typically mj

• hamilton989hamilton989 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

I think dominque and magic though

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hamilton989 said:
    I think you may have missed 57 by one. I think the next card after him is typically mj

Think the card below Gerald will be Vinnie Johnson. Dominique and Magic will be in there though if the pack has not been tampered.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

What stickers are you looking at on the backs?

Sequencing can flip mid-pack, so you could still end up flipping towards a Jordan, fwiw. It is like a 15% chance of a flip from what I've found.

• ReedDACWReedDACW Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

Sequencing can flip mid-pack, so you could still end up flipping towards a Jordan, fwiw. It is like a 15% chance of a flip from what I've found.

I've discussed this with Steve over the years, and we're almost certain the sequencing does not flip randomly, but at specific points in the collation. We we're lucky enough to watch a box being opened about 4-5 years ago, and I took notes of every pack being opened in the box, card for card, and even though one box is a small sample size, I think our theory is true.

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭

Unless they are in a PSA slab or come from BBCE then there is a great chance those packs were resealed. I'm fairly certain none of the cards will be in sequence.

edited May 21, 2020 3:12AM

@ReedDACW said:

@secretstash said:

I've discussed this with Steve over the years, and we're almost certain the sequencing does not flip randomly, but at specific points in the collation. We we're lucky enough to watch a box being opened about 4-5 years ago, and I took notes of every pack being opened in the box, card for card, and even though one box is a small sample size, I think our theory is true.

What is the weirdest goof from the factory that you have ever seen in 86 fleer? I saw a PSA graded pack have a sticker mid-pack on youtube I can find if that would be something you'd like to see. I believe it was a Larry Bird sticker in the middle of the pack. It was a PSA 8 graded pack if I recall correctly. I don't believe it was resealed or anything.

• The Sticker is Wilkins on back

• The other pack has Ralph Sampson on top.

• ReedDACWReedDACW Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@ReedDACW said:

@secretstash said:

What is the weirdest goof from the factory that you have ever seen in 86 fleer? I saw a PSA graded pack have a sticker mid-pack on youtube I can find if that would be something you'd like to see. I believe it was a Larry Bird sticker in the middle of the pack. It was a PSA 8 graded pack if I recall correctly. I don't believe it was resealed or anything.

I was just talking to Steve about this the other day. Not sure I want to share just yet, but I do have proof, which for me is rare at times. LOL I should probably go and find the proof first if I wanted to explain it.

• I'm not sure if I said the Gerald Wilkins on top. The card is upside down. I wonder if that is the sequence change

edited May 22, 2020 10:02AM

@ReedDACW said:

@secretstash said:

@ReedDACW said:

@secretstash said:

I was just talking to Steve about this the other day. Not sure I want to share just yet, but I do have proof, which for me is rare at times. LOL I should probably go and find the proof first if I wanted to explain it.

@cabowabo1963 said:
    The other pack has Ralph Sampson on top.

Erving and Drexler would likely be inside of this one.

• If the top card is upside down(name on top of pack) signify the flip?

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Only one true way to find out.... RIP it. video it.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@cabowabo1963 said:
    If the top card is upside down(name on top of pack) signify the flip?

That’s a different definition of flip. More likely that the pack is not real then has a flip sequence in it. But I agree rip it and let’s find out for sure

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

Why would someone place a card upside down and then reseal it? I know nothing about 86 Fleer packs, but I would think an upside down card may show a sign that it is original.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

@rtimmer said:

@cabowabo1963 said:

That’s a different definition of flip. More likely that the pack is not real then has a flip sequence in it. But I agree rip it and let’s find out for sure

This is not true. The card placement compared to the sticker on the back is irrelevant as the sticker was added separately to the base card sequencing and has no attachment to the cards inside. I believe no one has ever found a sticker to determine a card order, but BBCE Steve or Reed can confirm this for certain.

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cabowabo1963 said:

No. About half the box has the name of the player at the bottom in the blue part of the wrapper and the other half has the name at the top part of the wrapper in the red section. This is standard and does not signify any flip.

• rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2020 6:20AM

@secretstash said:

@rtimmer said:

@cabowabo1963 said:

This is not true. The card placement compared to the sticker on the back is irrelevant as the sticker was added separately to the base card sequencing and has no attachment to the cards inside. I believe no one has ever found a sticker to determine a card order, but BBCE Steve or Reed can confirm this for certain.

No, it is true but you’re not addressing the question I was answering. @cabowabo asked if the top card (Jerald Wilkins) being upside down signified the card sequence in the pack would flip. His question and my answer has nothing to do with the sticker on the back as I‘ve often said the sticker is irrelevant to the card sequence or it flipping mid pack.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies