Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Scans of more of my OCD Player collection projects (Reggie added)

rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

My player collections almost always have a tie to my youth. When I was a kid in Ruston, LA one of my best friends dad was an assistant coach for the La Tech Dunkin Dawgs., their star player was Karl Malone When I was in 5th grade he came to our class and spoke and I had several small interactions with him through my friend. He was my favorite player of course for that reason. I started working on a basic Fleer set of him this year, like most of these projects Rookies are easier it is tough to find already graded copies of PSA 10 mid to late years and even raw that have a shot at 10s. This is what I have mustered so far. Several self subs.

The next project I have been working on for about 5 years now maybe longer. One of ,myfavorite players as a kid and this project is much broader. It started with just Topps and Fleer. Then Donruss then Basic set. Very hard to track down 10s I do not have and I have several 8-9s I need to upgrade. Have not put much of a dent in this for over a year now. Current progress

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great seeing all of the Strawberry cards together! The card companies loved to pick photos highlighting the cocked knee at the beginning of his stride, for sure... Or the completion of that sweet swing. Strawberry was always one of the favorites of my youth.

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the Strawberry collection! I still collect his cards, but ungraded.

I'm not a Malone fan, but putting together his Fleer player set was a great idea.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Mike, I’ve seen parts of your Straw collection but didn’t realize how many you had!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet run of Malone and Straw. Love looking at player runs. Impressive collection.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Wow Mike, I’ve seen parts of your Straw collection but didn’t realize how many you had!

Yeah I most recently upgraded my 91 Topps from a 9 to finish off Topps all in 10. Really want to have the Topps Donruss and Fleer in all 10. I like to throw a few on each sub if possible but have had poor luck with hitting dimes lately. Very few pop up on eBay that I do not already have so subbing is my only route to making headway.

That means I will probably divert to a few other projects that I will post scans of in this thread like Ryne Sandberg. I have been thinking about doing a Fleer only Ripken run, or Puckett since I hit the 84 Update dime in my last sub. Will probably post current progress on Mike Singletary and Sam Mills once I get around to scanning them. Gooden and Dale Murphy are always in the back of my mind as well and I have subbed some with hit and miss results. If I do them there will be a lot more 9s.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap! Amazing!

Andy

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are some SICK Strawberry’s. Great collection. He was my favorite player when I started really collecting in 1987. His 1987 Topps is one of my all-time favorite cards along with his 1984 Topps RC. Thanks for sharing!

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great collection! Thanks for scanning.

• RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

Love the Mailman and Pistol Pete. Nice collection.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

love all the cards

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

This is where I really show my OCD tendencies. The new stuff has so many parallels and I decided to chase them with a guy I loved to watch at LSU that was drafted by my favorite team.

Alex Bregman

Work in progress have several more in grading and waiting to be sent.

I'm a huge Staubach fan, but I don't know anyone that doesn't love Walter Payton. When I get around to starting a few other player sets Walter will be at the top of the list. Your run is outstanding!

@Kid4hof03 said:
    I'm a huge Staubach fan, but I don't know anyone that doesn't love Walter Payton. When I get around to starting a few other player sets Walter will be at the top of the list. Your run is outstanding!

I did a Staubach too. Not as high end as Paytons (all 8s) I’ll eventually post those. I am not quite old enough to remember seeing him play. I grew up in the Danny White era. I am working on him too. I am hung up on the 85. I can’t see myself paying $100 for a 9 and all the ones I have did not make the grading cut. Even though I am a Saints fan, those Cowboys teams of the 80s were fun to watch.

edited May 17, 2020 11:03AM

@Kid4hof03

Here is my Staubach run along with another La Tech guy that he is inevitably tied to Terry Bradshaw

@rexvos Those are two great looking player collections! I know it's not the same, but as a football fan from that era, I see Bradshaw and Staubach almost like Bird and Magic, you can't really talk about one with the other.

@Kid4hof03 said:
    @rexvos Those are two great looking player collections! I know it's not the same, but as a football fan from that era, I see Bradshaw and Staubach almost like Bird and Magic, you can't really talk about one with the other.

Thanks to really cap that era I need to do Stabler. I have his RC and second year but will probably be a while until I revisit his stuff.

I believe this is the first player set I completed. I remember at the time that I wanted only Mint cards for the run. I hate that there is no 1977 card made of Arch since he missed the previous season due to injury and the Saints had to suffer the infinite cruelty of the dual QB talents of Bobby Scott (later New Jersey General) and Bobby Douglas (Chicago Bears castoff, a team known for lousy Quarterbacks).

I would have loved to have seen what he could do with any competency around him from coaching, front office or teammates. His greatest accomplishment is found in the fact that he has produced two Super Bowl MVP offspring

The Patron Saint of New Orleans: Archie Manning

I have some chances to add a few other issues but only want them in Mint or better. My biggest whale for this set is the 1979 Coke Saints Team issue.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Some very nice player runs.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    edited October 9, 2020 7:24AM

Another modern one to add, this one I have several more in grading. Not sure where I am going with it but definitely will continue to add Heritage. I posted several of these once before in a Heritage thread but added the 2013 Topps Pro Debut today.

Wow!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Please have a Carlton Fisk run like this. He has the greatest live action Topps cards out there.

@Horse said:
    Please have a Carlton Fisk run like this. He has the greatest live action Topps cards out there.

Not yet. I have several in the pipeline and a few more completed that I have not scanned together yet. I did a raw run of him decades ago but none met the grading requirements

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is amazing! Quite the collection!

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow what great player collection you have. a nine payton and montana rookie amazing.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

the 82 Bert Jones is a tough one to find that nice...

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    edited October 8, 2020 3:24PM

@jackstraw said:
    the 82 Bert Jones is a tough one to find that nice...

I had over 15k 1982 Topps football singles. Only have subbed Ferguson, Jones, Rogers and LT and Lott all 9s and a Pat Tilley 10

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dustinspeaks said:
    I want to see more Leaders cards get printed. It's good for the hobby and the game.

I always liked team cards as well.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some outstanding player runs you have. I really enjoy player runs and seeing what other collectors have. Thanks for posting.

• I am working on a Willie McCovey Player Run, but not at the 9-10 level. I also collect multi-player HOF cards, mostly in the 50-60's. There was a big drop off of these until the 80's hit and those I have runs of in mostly 10. I alos love the HR Leaders Cards that started in 1961. I started a Trout run since the Angels are my team, but got behind and now it's a bit late.
    You've got some nice runs there, thanks for sharing those.

Previous CU user: jmmiller777
    Baseball HOFer's-PSA6+
    Heritage Sets
    Kellogg's Graded-PSA 8+
    60's Topps Sets-Raw
    Anything that Catches My Attention

@miller777 said:
    I am working on a Willie McCovey Player Run, but not at the 9-10 level. I also collect multi-player HOF cards, mostly in the 50-60's. There was a big drop off of these until the 80's hit and those I have runs of in mostly 10. I alos love the HR Leaders Cards that started in 1961. I started a Trout run since the Angels are my team, but got behind and now it's a bit late.
    You've got some nice runs there, thanks for sharing those.

Thanks. I am waiting for a card to get in tomorrow to post an up to date run that you might have interest in.

I have a few older runs as well that need a few before I post. I have not been able to get a few of the ones I am looking for that I am happy with.

Would love to see some of the early HR leaders

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

You've got some fabulous cards there. Wow! Super nice!!!!!!!

edited October 13, 2020 12:52PM

Just finished this one today. Current through 2020. A lot of self subs here but had to buy the 2013-2015 Actions already graded as well as the 2015 Sp I got in today. I had 2 raw 15s that both scored 9s recently, so I used my eBay bucks to cap the Sp - Action run

Mike Trout

edited October 15, 2020 4:07PM

Schocked to wake up today to hear the man that wrote “Warrior” on the tape on his cleats passed away. Another native of my hometown who I would see at La Tech games every year. Pro Football HOFer and the man that Ronnie Lott spoke of saying James Dean was not as cool as Fred Dean. #RipFredDean

Yeah I heard about Dean. Bummer. Did he not have an 83 Topps?

Yaz Master Set

@DBesse27 said:
    Yeah I heard about Dean. Bummer. Did he not have an 83 Topps?

Nope. Strike year and that was the one 80s year the 9ers were bad

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

Incredible run of cards! Love the variety, the Strawberry run is just awesome (as are the others!)

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

I figure tonight would be a great night to add these. Shutting up the post season haters with 6 dominant innings before he was pulled early with a 7 run lead

Clayton Kershaw

Just got the 2020s back recently. Need to upgrade the base Topps and the Action.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Epic run!

I'm Samurai Mike I stop'em cold.
    Part of the defense, big and bold,
    I've been jammin' for quite a while,
    Doin' what's right and settin' the style,
    Give me a chance, I'll rock you good,
    Nobody messin' in my neighborhood.

@LarkinCollector said:
    Epic run!