Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1908 $5 Liberty Half Eagle MS63+ CAC

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's my first bean on gold. It caught my eye because of the luster. Seller shipped free certified wrapped up nice and tight in a pretty box, nice premium, I mean.. she's beautiful. She even came a day early.

Thoughts on color, surfaces? The darker (deeper?) yellow tones tend to worry me because of what cleaning agents can do when they retone. So I went for the bean and a premium seller and think I'm alright.

Seller's pics:

Hope you're all staying safe and healthy.

Comments

• Options
    SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Congrats. PQ for the grade

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Very solid coin for the grade. Nice purchase!

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SSR said:
    Very nice. Congrats. PQ for the grade

+1

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic coin, has a “+”, merits a CAC, great luster, hammered strike. What more can one want in a coin? You hit the jackpot! Congrats!

By the way, night and day difference between your photos and that of the seller.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. Nice gold.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice gold coin... Plenty of luster....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    lowcountrycoinutlowcountrycoinut Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Nice coin! The reverse is a killer!!

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice type coin! :)

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent purchase!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, I like it a lot. The last year of a 70 year run for the type and a beauty at that.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    Congratulations, I like it a lot. The last year of a 70 year run for the type and a beauty at that.

Now just add an 1839 in the same shape for an easy bookend set :)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice A coin. Super for type. Congrats on nice pickup.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2020 10:39PM

@lowcountrycoinut said:

Nice coin! The reverse is a killer!!

My wife really likes it too, specifically for the gorgeous reverse, so I didn't have to hear too much about the price tag. They easily could've listed this for $300 more it'd still sell within 24h on ebay. I'd have paid up to the end of sub 1k. I really fell head over heels for this piece. It's the background on my phone right now haha.

To be honest, that seller throwing a bone out like that says a lot about the quality of their character. I'm just glad quality professionals like this exist in the higher end coin market. It's a refreshing change of pace to be treated like I'm spending hundreds or thousands on these things or something.

@ricko said:
    Very nice gold coin... Plenty of luster....Cheers, RickO

Awesome thank you I wasn't 100% on how lustrous a specimen for this grade would be. The "learning how gold looks in different light with different flashes and backgrounds" has proven to be an obstacle I'm trying to surpass. I appreciate your expertise.

@winesteven said:
    Fantastic coin, has a “+”, merits a CAC, great luster, hammered strike. What more can one want in a coin? You hit the jackpot! Congrats!

Awesome thank you, I guess most of my apprehension here was I don't normally pull the trigger on pieces like this so fast. I grabbed it in the first 20 seconds and that's just because the PayPal wouldn't load any faster. It didn't last a few hours and had ~20 watchers.

I generally take pause when I see numbers like that because it doesn't always mean it's a good piece.

And hah yeah my dude I knew I couldn't hold a candle to their pictures. Wasn't even gonna try.

@SSR @JasonGaming Thank you, I appreciate your weighing in on this piece. It really helps me knowing this is what nice ones of this specific coin should look like in this grade. Anybody can be congratulated for hitting "buy it now", but it's the comments like these that help me get better at this and that's what is important here.

I'm glad the rest of you enjoyed it too. Feels good to have a little luck for once, and making the right call on pulling the trigger so fast like that. Phew.

• Options
    edited May 15, 2020 12:26AM

Oh, and regarding the + grade.

Is it likely the coin caught the +, because it failed to hit the 64, presumably over the hit between the eagle's neck and wing? That's more or less what those designations are for, right?

(..I am very happy this is in a PCGS holder btw. Even with the bean I doubt I'd have snagged it so fast. I hate to buy the plastic like that but these folks are really on point. Part of the reason why spending that money was so easy.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file