Home U.S. Coin Forum

Maybe the best coin gag ever

USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2020 6:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'd like to share a quick story that happened just today with me and my old man.
My dad made his biggest coin purchase on single coin just recently a 1802/1 $5. He asked to have it shipped to my address to help with sales tax, of coarse I obliged. So after picking it up today I called him to let him know it arrived and he said he would leave immediately just cause he was so excited to get it.
Now some of you may know I'm a bit of a wise butt and a jokester so I decided to play a little trick on him. I sliced opened the overnight mailer with a razor knife took out the coin that happened to be in another two envelopes (seller has great shipping procedures) replaced the turban head with a common date ms64 Morgan dollar the happened to be in a OGH. Resealed all the envelopes with tape and left it on the counter like nothing ever happened.
So he gets to the house makes small talk with his grandkids and my wife but you could smell the excitement coming out of his pores. I pointed at the envelope on the counter and he picked it up and his hands started shaking. I smiled and gave him a pair of scissors and let him at it. I'm watching with a grin ear to ear knowing I'm about to get him real good. The coin finally appears. He just stares at for what seems like 30 seconds. He takes the coin( the Morgan) slams it on the counter yells "He sent me the wrong damn coin!!!" Puts his hands to his face like the world was gonna end in the next ten minutes. He's getting all huffy and puffy and I'm loving every minute of it. So I let the antics go on for another 2 minutes or so before I pull out the 200+ year old coin out of the cabinet and hand it to him. I couldn't take it any longer and start laughing and he being a lot like me enjoyed the gag.
Here is the coin in question. As he was leaving he said " Your not getting the coin when I die!!" And slammed the door behind him.

Comments

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a way cool coin....I love it !

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2020 6:53PM

LOL.... That's something I would try to pull off.

NICE COIN!

I'm going to guess XF45.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start groveling now and beg for forgiveness. Maybe you’ll get lucky and he will change his mind
    Good luck

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just remember, payback is a witch.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your story. Great gag.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

At least you still have that Morgan dollar....

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'( !!!

Timbuk3
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a rotten trick to play on your dad. If he's anything like me, he'll find a way to get even with you. He should have also kept the silver dollar. >:)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• RonBRonB Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully he didn't crack the Morgan slab when he slammed it down.. Be careful of Karma.

Collector of Classic US Coins
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have kept the Morgan.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing like the bond between a father and his son. Great coin.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you trying to give him a heart attack? Was your dad a jokester too in his younger years?

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh ya the apple didn't fall far from the tree. He vowed to get me back in the near future.

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Naughty boy.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Great prank..... still chuckling..... but watch out - even now, your Dad is planning....Really neat coin by the way...Cheers, RickO

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Leave it to the Grand Kids while Daddy drools!!! :D

Craig

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somehow, I believe him. He may think of something even more diabolical. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your dad can skip his next EKG.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good one!
    🤯

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great gag! That's a beautiful looking overdate. I love the original skin on it. Damn shame about your inheritance though. :D

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

It's a good thing that he didn't grab his chest and say "this could be the "BIG" one! I know I may have if my "kids" pulled that on me. Glad your dad is so understanding, sorry you will miss out on a Great Coin.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy the times you have with your dad. Looks like that’s just what you’re doing.
    A VERY good gag 👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great prank! But where's the pic of the Morgan?

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    Great prank! But where's the pic of the Morgan?

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

I can only imagine the look on your dads face when he opened it up and seen the Morgan. I know I would of been just like him for those couple of minutes until you gave the correct coin. I would have walked out with the OGH Morgan too and told you that is what you get for almost causing a heart attack! lol Great joke though! lol

• AttumraAttumra Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

So he changed the will right away didn't he? lol You planted a seed that hopefully wont grow into something diseased.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an emotional roller coaster for you dad, the anticipation, excitement, disbelief, anger, then back to calm.... and now likely in the revenge stage.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really nice coin. I try not to joke when people could take it the wrong way. When I was a kid I got "coins" from a Johnson Smith catalog that would adhere to the floor but were impossible to pick up. Had a little chuckle when and elderly JW guy bent over to try to pick one up!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Idiotic "gag."

• steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

good one, got a good laugh out of that. Hope he leaves it to you, it's a beaut

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.

Let us know what your dad does when he gets even with you. :D

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve heard something along the lines of... a dealer looking at a fellow dealer’s/friend’s raw, six-figure coin, secretly taking a pocket change coin, making a commotion of accidentally dropping it on the floor and pretending that he was dropping the six figure coin.😮

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:
    I’ve heard something along the lines of... a dealer looking at a fellow dealer’s/friend’s raw, six-figure coin, secretly taking a pocket change coin, making a commotion of accidentally dropping it on the floor and pretending that he was dropping the six figure coin.😮

Did he stamp on it with his foot to keep it from getting away? LOL. :D

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@MFeld said:

Did he stamp on it with his foot to keep it from getting away? LOL. :D

No, but obviously, he should have.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

I did something very similar to this to njcoincrank at one of the FUN shows where we shared tables a few years ago. I believe I saw blood spurt from his temple before I pulled out the real piece and grinned at him.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LJenkins11 said:
    What an emotional roller coaster for you dad, the anticipation, excitement, disbelief, anger, then back to calm.... and now likely in the revenge stage.

Well, revenge is best planned when calm.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@LJenkins11 said:

Well, revenge is best planned when calm.

And while revising a will. B)

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dad is taking his time to get it right. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
    Lance.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy, you got one coming. LMAO !!!!!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s pretty funny. Someone would have to tackle me. I’d have the dealer on the phone before I even looked at the reverse.

This actually happened to me back in the 1990's. I bought a slabbed Liberty $10 gold coin from HLRC. He sent me a slabbed Morgan dollar. I contacted Harry and got the shipping information for the rightful owner and just forwarded him the coin. The guy who got my coin did likewise for me. Harry is a great guy to buy from and I just paid the shipping cost and didn't worry about the few dollars it cost. Mistakes happen and hopefully no one got fired for this mix up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file