Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I bought a raw Trade$ on eBay..(well actually it's a Potty dollar..) is it real?

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 18, 2020 9:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The obverse has "issues" but can you tell if it's genuine from just the reverse?
(..btw year is 1875)

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m no expert but I’d say counterfeit. It just feels wrong to me but trade dollars are not my area of specialty.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we see the obv? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2020 3:50PM

I'm thinking genuine, but with issues.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is something about the surfaces that seems off to me, but I know very little of the series so it could be me that's off.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like porous surfaces to me. Environmental damaged. Still looks weird though. Not sure if its genuine.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

opium dollar?

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really can't tell from the photos if it's genuine. If it is, a 75 cc type 2 rev is a scarce coin. Here is mine for comparison:

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually figure raw T$'s are fake until proven genuine. And I wonder why genuine ones aren't slabbed, given all the fakes out there.

This one looks a bit odd (the drawn shape of the legend letters, e.g.) but that may be due to the photography angle. It's not square to the camera so the whole coin appears out of round.

Knowing @jayPem, the obverse is probably engraved with a love message or something. Which would explain why it's not holdered.

My guess is genuine.
    Lance.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

As with the others, my first impression was fake; but not a T$1 expert by any means....

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options

@coinbuf said:
    There is something about the surfaces that seems off to me, but I know very little of the series so it could be me that's off.

Definitely issues with The Surfaces🤪

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

Fake. Look at those denticles.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

@lkeigwin said:
    My guess is genuine.
    Lance.

That's my guess too Lance...
    As to the photography, I wish that I just had it sent straight to you..😅
    Taking phone pics through my loupe is about the best I can do..

• Options

@Pokermandude said:

Could that be a result of my terrible pic, or do you see something definitive?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

@Pokermandude said:

Could that be a result of my terrible pic, or do you see something definitive?

I think because they look unevenly struck.

Did you weigh it? Or is it actually a Love token and so planed off.

• Options

It's that cell phone through the loupe thing. It's just not a cooperative image for those of you who might actually be trying to help me out here...🤔

Might be about time to post the obverse..

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake, fake, fake. But I would have said that without looking at the picture. That just confirms it.

Vplite99
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:
    Fake, fake, fake. But I would have said that without looking at the picture. That just confirms it.

Oh, good. A psychic. Can you give me the PowerBall numbers?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhh a potty dollar

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    dimebagdimebag Posts: 108 ✭✭

poo-poo dollar ???

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew there as a bit more carp to go along with it

• Options

@kaz said:
    I really can't tell from the photos if it's genuine. If it is, a 75 cc type 2 rev is a scarce coin. Here is mine for comparison:

I can't tell.
    There are a couple of points that don't seem to line up.
    Can anyone tell from my best attempt to image the reverse?

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

From the obverse picture it looks like it comes open and may be hollow on the inside.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...she could use a small nose job if you got your pocket knife handy ;)

• Options

Nicely made potty dollar! I might be reading too much into this, but her facial expression looks like she's concentrating really hard on something. Maybe the olive branch?
    I think it's a real trade dollar.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

One nipple variety, nice

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    One nipple variety, nice

A real trade dollar nerd would break that down into left and right varieties, inverted or everted, or both. :o

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Klif50 said:
    From the obverse picture it looks like it comes open and may be hollow on the inside.

That was my first reaction, as well.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was fake.... after seeing it is a potty dollar, well, some of the reverse issues could be from the work done on it...but the denticles still do not look right... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2020 8:04AM

I would buy them only if slabbed.

The op cc Trade Dollar / if real why not slabbed?

I say it’s fake.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    Nicely made potty dollar! I might be reading too much into this, but her facial expression looks like she's concentrating really hard on something. Maybe the olive branch?
    I think it's a real trade dollar.

That's called "straining at stool". It's what killed Elvis.

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

@bsshog40 said:
    The obverse may tell more!

Definitely genuine. I would send it in, could be XF. Very scarce "seated pot" variety.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2020 9:31AM

Probably should re-title this post in such a way that anyone with expertise in these bits of folk art might take a look...
    Couldn't resist the temptation to mess around with the fake eBay T$ crowd but that's not really the point.
    Or is it?
    What is the earliest time period that very accurate fake trade dollars began to show up?
    What exactly is the time period that legitimate potty dollars were made?

One issue here are my poor images, Sorry...
    Taking pics through a loupe distorts the rims I'm seeing, so realistic images of the denticles are lacking.
    Also my lighting is pretty glaring, I'm not capturing the aged look very well. My impression in hand is that this coin shows the type of circulated aging that is difficult to fake...
    But nothing would surprise me at this point...it could possibly be a piece recently carved into a very well made modern fake T$, struck in silver and aged to perfection.

Why would someone go to all that trouble?
    Because really nicely done potty dollars don't come cheap anymore...🤔

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse just doesn't look right to me, JMO, good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

from photograde

• Options

Why is this helpful 👆?
    Already have a type 2 CC reverse image posted, if you are looking for minute differences that will confirm or deny anything, you need to be looking at the same die from the same year from the same mint.
    You also need to be looking at a much better image than one I can provide, so unless you are an actual expert on trade dollars or potty dollars, there isn't a whole lot more to add...🧐
    On the other hand, if any actual experts of the above have taken an interest and would like me to attempt a better pic of any part of the coin, I would be delighted to!
    😊

• Options

Do you think you can get a sharp closeup of a part of the edge reeding, if not too beat up? A lot of the forgers don't pay much attention to the "third side."

• Options

• Options

The damage on the coin is various and possibly intended.
    Not to keep this thread going indefinitely, but it is an interesting study...if the coin is a Chinese fake, then obviously the carving is not contemporary.
    I put the likelihood of it being entirely legit above 90%..
    That would be easy enough to determine by authenticating the host.
    On the other hand, if it is bogus, it would be a work of such high quality deception as to make it a valuable piece to me for that reason as well...win win.

• Options

The edge looks pretty worn and dinged up so I can't make any definite conclusions from that. Those images do seem to show a sort of separation between the edge and rim that looks unusual. That makes me lean more towards counterfeit. It's really hard to evaluate things like dentils and detail sharpness when there is so much wear, surface damage, maybe even corrosion. Thanks for the quick work on the photos!

• Options

That edge thing is most perplexing!
    Many here have guessed box dollar and I can see why, but in hand it's just not there..an artifact of lightning.
    Kind of the same with alot if the other "issues" that show up under magnification. Looks to have had some sort of environmental damage on the reverse that was scratched at, thus the odd pitting and scratches that you see near 420 and fine...
    I'm loathe to spend grading $ on this since I have no desire to entomb. I will probably just let a few T$ experts have a look at it when the time comes.
    I'm probably creating more drama than required here, since short of an outright glaring pick up point, my images will create more problems than actually exist on the coin 😅

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 100% real to me. That lip on the edge is known on trade dollars. I’m not exactly sure why some are like that and others are not, but my working theory has been it’s due to slight differences in collar size, planchet thickness and possibly striking pressure.

• Options

And a real expert has arrived👆😅

• Options

Dan was the first person I showed this to (albiet with the same so-so pics..) if he feels ok with it so do I.
    As I said, I can live with this coin wether legit or bogus 😘

Now, any thoughts on the possibility of a type two reverse?

• Options

@jayPem said:
    And a real expert has arrived👆😅

Oops Kaz...I know you know what your up to as well.😃

• Options

Thanks, but Dan has examined a lot more trade dollars than I have, and if he has seen this edge phenomenon on other genuine coins that's good enough for me.
    This is one of the more artistic potty dollars I've seen. The scroll handle on the pot and the textured floor (?rug} are nice touches.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah Kaz can hold his own when it comes to trade dollars.

A while back, over the course of about 6 months I did a whole bunch of reed counts for trade dollars. That’s when I picked up on just how variable the edge profile can be. The SF mint even got in trouble with the mint director around 1876, the coins didn’t stack quite right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file