Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting damaged coins...have any?

ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being stuck at home like most/many, I started going through some less valuable stuff I have in the house and remembered I had this. I bought it from a dealer friend from Momence about 15 years ago. The more I look at it, the more I like it and chuckle a bit. I wonder what kind of round and from what distance...

Post a cool or interesting damaged coin if you've got one stashed away.
(Cue AirplaneNuts Bust Dime of course) :)

Comments

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

My kind of thread!
    I'll dig around too and see what I've got!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChangeInHistory said:
    The more I look at it, the more I like it and chuckle a bit. I wonder what kind of round and from what distance...

That was me shooting a .45 at 1000 yards. B):D

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChangeInHistory said:
    Being stuck at home like most/many, I started going through some less valuable stuff I have in the house and remembered I had this. I bought it from a dealer friend from Momence about 15 years ago. The more I look at it, the more I like it and chuckle a bit. I wonder what kind of round and from what distance...

Post a cool or interesting damaged coin if you've got one stashed away.
    (Cue AirplaneNuts Bust Dime of course) :)

Betcha can't eat one,cent that is. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the resultant damage to this Morgan from being stored 50 years in a small envelope inside a leather coin purse. Coin originally given to me in 1958.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this recently from a friend after wanting one for years. Rare type made to compete with the American trade dollar. That said it is 90% similar to the Japanese yen
    Trade dollar slightly damaged

Yen slightly damaged

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really nice JT$, @Crypto!

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭

I have a large cent with the 'modified E on the One Cent. No pics though.

imageimage

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2020 8:06AM

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GaCoinGuy said:
    I have a large cent with the 'modified E on the One Cent. No pics though.

Saw that on a number of Canadian Large Cents over years as well.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Sellers pics... Almost seems like it was used for something..?
    One item on my list I'm still looking for is a large cent pie crimper. I've seen some nice ones available but pretty steep. One still had the handle intact 👍
    Could be this coin was used for something like that?

• Options

Sweet!👆
    Did you find that cbh ring or have it made?

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1873 DDO Closed 3, scratches across front and back, sad. Cert #38051036.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a damaged coin that I am guilty of committing! I acetone abused it.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 That's awesome to see the pellet stuck to Lincoln, and a KISS Washington on top of it!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

I don't remember where I got this but kept it since it was an interesting find. The date is 181?.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭

Forgot bout this one. It came from the wife's grandfather's collection. I suspect it was headed towards becoming a button, as there was a button/fastener plant in town. It's a 64D

imageimage

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

What are those, Dave? Did they have a function of some kind?

AKA Pakasmom

• Options

That’s a great question!
    Maybe a knob? A socket? I don’t know either but it must have been worth 5 cents to make it.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

My oldest damaged piece.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, one more...

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

I like to think those older square holes pieces were nailed to the rafters in old houses and barns. We used to do that sort of thing.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file