Home U.S. Coin Forum

Al Kaline R.I.P.

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Tiger.

Comments

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

That name will always remind me of my high school chemistry class.
    The teacher was talking about alkaline and one of my friends told her there was a baseball player named Al Kaline.
    I wonder if his parents did that purposefully?

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Met him at a card show in the early 80's. A true gentleman.
    RIP

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I played BB in HS my favorite/ lucky bat was a Louisville Slugger with Al Kaline’s signature emblazoned on the meat of the bat. What a great bat that was until I cracked it. Had many of his Topp’s BB cards as well. RIP 🙏🏻

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I grew up in Detroit proper. Besides being a great ballplayer Mr. Kaline sweated class. He’s been part of the city since he’s been 19. Just a wonderful human being.

From Wikipedia:

After hitting .294 in 1971, Kaline became the first Tiger to sign a $100,000 ($631,306 in today's dollars) contract. He had turned down a pay raise from $95,000 to $100,000 the previous year, saying he did not feel like he deserved it after hitting .278 with 21 home runs in 1970. [emphasis mine]

Classy indeed. Times have changed. RIP, Al.

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2020 12:56AM

There are more comments here than in the Sports Talk forum. My pic from the 2019 Tigerfest:

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the great legends !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid in the 60s, I went to Tiger Stadium quite frequently. Would always get excited when good ole number 6 came to the plate. He will truly be missed.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Mr. Tiger.

He was the embodiment of baseball. 100% class act. Friendly and humble.

Rest easy, Al.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    As a kid in the 60s, I went to Tiger Stadium quite frequently. Would always get excited when good ole number 6 came to the plate. He will truly be missed.

Remember "Free Bat Day?" They had to stop doing it because we all pounded the bats on the floor and they were afraid that that old stadium would collapse!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2020 9:48AM

😢
    When baseball WAS baseball!
    Everytime an old timer, in baseball, would pass away, it always brings me back to my childhood when my father would teach me the game. He loved the game and now so do I. 😢
    I would always remember when my dad would joke about Harmon Killebrew's name. He loved that name. He would joke saying,"Killebrew"! Meaning, "kill a brew!" Lol
    Harmon left us 9 yrs ago as well. 😢

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2020 10:25AM

@CaptHenway said:

Remember "Free Bat Day?" They had to stop doing it because we all pounded the bats on the floor and they were afraid that that old stadium would collapse!

Remember "FREE BEER DAY? " They had to stop doing that too. Too many brews were being pounded down and the drinkers were LITERALLY collapsing and hitting the floor. Not to mention hitting each other.

P.S. Actually, it was 10¢ beer day and in Cleveland. 1974. But it could have been anywhere. Anytime. The results would have been the same regardless of location, free, or 10¢. What a disaster!

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2020 9:53AM

@Hydrant said:

@CaptHenway said:

Remember "FREE BEER DAY? " They had to stop doing that too. Too many brews were being pounded down and the drinkers were collapsing and hitting the floor.

P.S. Actually, it was 10¢ beer day and in Cleveland. 1974. But it could have been anywhere. Anytime. The results would have been the same regardless of location, free, or 10¢. What a disaster!

That reminds me of those old long bugles they would sell at the park that made a bone crushing sound! 😁

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    edited April 7, 2020 6:54PM

Good guy.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a great player who was not a Yankee!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    Yes, a great player who was not a Yankee!

+++++++++

If you have the MLB network turn it on. 1968 Game 6 onnow, Game 7 after.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2020 9:15PM

Thanks Tom! Watching game 7 now!

I forgot that the St Louis fans gave Lolich a huge ovation when we came to bat in the 9th

Tigers Manager Mayo Smith probably made the ballsiest move in WS Series by starting their stud centerfielder at short stop to make room for Kaline in the line up. Kaline was hurt in the regular season in 68 and the Tigers went with Willie Horton in left, Stanley in center and Northrup in right during the bulk of the season. In the WS Mayo Smith moved his CF to short ( never played in before in the majors), put Northrup in center and Kaline in right. Stanley played flawless at short and Kaline rewarded his manager by hitting .379 in the series, with 2 HR’s and knocking in a team high 8 rbi ( tied with Northrup)

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited April 7, 2020 9:05PM

YouTube has some good stuff on the 1968 series. I loved that Detroit team. Best uniform ever!

I'm sort of watching the '68 WS replays in the background. I had forgotten the umps used to wear ties!! What a hoot. Also, the WS used to be exclusively day games. Memories.

edited April 7, 2020 9:50PM

@CoinJunkie said:
    I'm sort of watching the '68 WS replays in the background. I had forgotten the umps used to wear ties!! What a hoot. Also, the WS used to be exclusively day games. Memories.

Crazy. In 1968 they wheeled in TVs into class rooms to watch the games and then we would run like the wind to get home when the bell rang.

A fun fact

Journey man Larry Jaster who relieved Washburn in game 6 for St Louis had one of the most remarkable lines ever in 1966. He started 5 games against the Dodgers. He shut them out in all five games.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Larry Jaster was my third (?) cousin. My grandmother’s maiden name was Jaster.

@CaptHenway said:
    Larry Jaster was my third (?) cousin. My grandmother’s maiden name was Jaster.

He was from Up North. Midland I think

m

@Justacommeman said:

@CoinJunkie said:

Crazy. In 1968 they wheeled in TVs into class rooms to watch the games and then we would run like the wind to get home when the bell rang.

A couple of fun facts

Kaline had a hit in every game of the 68 WS.

Journey man Larry Jaster who relieved Washburn in game 6 for St Louis had one of the most remarkable lines ever in 1966. He started 5 games against the Dodgers. He shut them out in all five games.

m

Man, the Cards are getting crushed in Game 6! I was a big baseball fan back then, but don't remember watching the '68 Series. The only thing I remember about those Tigers was McLain winning 31 games. I was a massive early 70s Oakland A's fan. Their playoff and WS games always seemed to be decided late by a single run. And the good guys won most of the time! For some reason, I also loved the Orioles and remember being crushed when they (unthinkably) lost to the Mets!

Last thought: Any baseball fan who's never read Ball Four really should do so. Possibly the greatest sports memoir ever written. No Al Kaline anecdotes that I remember, but that's probably a good thing (for Kaline).

@CJ

In 1968 Jim Northrup had 4 grand slams in the regular season and a grand salami in game 6 of the World Series.

FWIW he had two grand slams in one game in 68. Legend has it that both went to the exact same seat. He hit another the same week.

m

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2020 10:20PM

@Hydrant said:

@CaptHenway said:

Remember "FREE BEER DAY? " They had to stop doing that too. Too many brews were being pounded down and the drinkers were LITERALLY collapsing and hitting the floor. Not to mention hitting each other.

The game you’re referring to was nickel beer night and the game was suspended in the 6th or 7th inning second after the 60,000 fans began rioting.

You know that right field "home run porch" that Kaline worked in front of for 20+ years, where the upper deck stuck out over the lower deck by about 12 feet? My Grandfather helped build that. He was a Foreman for the R. C. Mahon (sp?) Co. in Detroit, and after the Tigers won a World Series in the early 30's the owners decided to add the outfield upper deck.

Ever get one of the many "obstructed view" seats at the old ball park? The pillars were put in because the park was built in many different stages, and they needed them to support the upper deck. He and his crew put some of them up. Had the park been built all at one time, it could have been designed a lot better.

Just watched the Game Six tape. The ultimate World Series game, IF your team is the winner! Watching Game Seven now.

This discussion has been closed.