Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Epiphany Regarding Circulated Coins

brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe my tastes are maturing, or maybe I'm just getting cheap in my old age, but this coin in XF45 - which I hope will arrive in the mail soon - has made me re-think collecting grades below 60. If a coin has made you feel similarly, post it!

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

An 1839-O RE half dollar in EF45 can be a great coin at a great grade. There is certainly nothing wrong with that combination. I have managed to squirrel away one or two pieces of this issue in this grade for myself over the years, as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great example of a classic issue in American numismatics. Nothing wrong with owning nice circulated coins for dates where UNCs are just too pricey.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this pissed off some but I thought it was a good purchase. I've had my share of MS .

Ken
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it sounds like you don't like the coin! If that's the case....why did you buy it? I will say I'm not a fan of the coin. There are nicer examples out there for the grade.

@brianc1959 said:
    Maybe my tastes are maturing, or maybe I'm just getting cheap in my old age, but this coin in XF45 - which I hope will arrive in the mail soon - has made me re-think collecting grades below 60. If a coin has made you feel similarly, post it!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

45 and 58 are terrific grades.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2020 6:05PM

I like circulated coins for a couple of reasons. They were made to circulate in commerce. The price drop from MS/PR coins...kinda like a new car. As the owner, once you drive it off the lot it depreciates...how much? Quite a bit.

Very nice looking Branch mint Reeded Edge Capped Bust Half Dollar with Repunched Mint Mark!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love ef45 coins

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an affinity for circs too.
    My sweet spot is Vf 30-40.
    I definitely wouldn't turn your 45 away though.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that mid grade coins can get the pulse moving.
    They show off a coin to a certain degree.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

A have a soft spot for circulated gold. Sexy

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say focus on the coin.... if you like it, then buy it. Now, if you are a dealer or participate in registry competition, then grade is important. I have XF45 coins and I like them very much... and sure, I have some 69's and 70's that give me great viewing pleasure....It is all about the coin and the hobby for me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Here are my favorite XF coins that I would not get rid of.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Initially I wanted only MS coins for my gold set, but would let MS looking AU58 coins pass...

These two changed my outlook:

• Options

Mainly because of cost, but I ended up with XF45 Charlotte:

And I couldn’t pass this one up either:

• Options

@Crypto I love that 55-O T2 Dollar!

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭