Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Shape of Plastic

There has been a deluge of posts regarding who likes which grading service and why. I was wondering who likes the shape and color of which holder and why. Clearly some stack better than others and you may have preferences for how a coin looks in a particular holder. I think gold looks better in a white background holder like NGC but I like the stackability of the ICG holder (probably an intentional design element to keep collectors happy while the ICG coin sits in a stack wating to earn an ROI for the buyer). Some fit storage boxes better. What are your thoughts?
Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.

Comments

• littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    ACG all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!image

Actually PCGS' slabs stack pretty well. I like NGC's color choices. I like the size of ANACS' holders.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • I think the SEGS holder is unique because of the side ID labeling. As for the other major company slabs, PCGS and NGC look pretty good. ICG slabs have a unique shape to them. ANACS slabs are a bit drab but OK. PCI slabs look a bit dull to me. NTC slabs didn't look too bad until someone showed one up close that had insert material sticking out. ACG slabs are actually not that bad since they are very compact and easily stackable.
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    I like the ANACS slabs because they are compact.

Actually, Compugrade has top ID labelling, as well as the ability to view the edging of the coin.
    Mark
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2020 9:44PM

I’m pretty much a PCGS guy these days, but I must say, I’ve always loved the older small white ANACS slabs. I still own quite a few. Compact and sturdy. Can’t quite bring myself to cross them over.

Go PCGS!
    Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2020 9:55PM

Doing some forum archaeology are we?
    Small white anacs are the easiest to crack out ;) one snip with a wire cutter cracks it straight across.

The OGH is the nicest looking holder I think, the newest ones are a close second.

Collector, occasional seller

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS and the old small ANACS slabs are the best.

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SEGS holders are a pain to crack but probably the most durable one out there IMHO.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the PCGS ones the best. Nice shape, easy to stack or box. Classic small ANACS are my second favorite followed closely by older NGC ones. I’m not a fan of the current NGC styling or ANACS ones. The PCI holders were ok for me and segs was certainly secure but still didn’t aesthetically appeal to me.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a slab collector... I have different types picked up from coin shows out west...my preference is, really, the TPG - our hosts to be specific. I really do not care about the slab. Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no preference.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old ANACS all the way !

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite are the old Hallmark / PCI green label holders, both by slab and grade accuracy and more importantly grade consistently.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

The small ANACS are by far the best. The other slabs are larger that they need to be. Storage space in a safe deposit box is very limited and size does make a difference. At the time the small ANACS were being used, they were big enough to hold every US coin ever made with the exception of the large gold slugs which most collectors can't afford. They are 2" wide and will fit nicely in boxes for the 2" X 2" cardboard holders and the standard sized coin flips. The PCGS and NGC are both fine and I have no real preference. I also like the ICG slabs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SEGS holders feel best in your hand and actually fit in PCGS boxes better than the PCGS holders. The newest PCGS holders are their best ones to date and they have never taken steps backward in their holder design. For space considerations, you can't beat the original ANACS holders. I still have a box full of the Coin World DIY holders in CBH size that are this form factor, but CW has since changed their holder to the PCGS form factor.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2020 7:50AM

Sorry guy's, I think there isn't any other but the best, our host, "PCGS"! One can do a major deal over the phone, when you just mention those 4 letters, PCGS. Deal done, unseen. ;)
    As to which era, I like the new ones.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • 50cCOMMEMGUY50cCOMMEMGUY Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    Old ANACS all the way !

As others also have said, I completely agree. Old ANACS all the way. Nice and compact.

"Today the crumbs, tomorrow the
    loaf. Perhaps someday the whole damn boulangerie." - fictional Jack Rackham

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy the coin not the holder. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file