Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG on this Draped Bust Half. **Updated with grade**

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 27, 2020 11:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'll post the grade tomorrow.

I'm guessing the netted it for the mark in the right field. It's pretty minor, and I would think it would be acceptable for coin that is 213 years old.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF30

Love the color.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Looks like it has the luster to go XF. Wear might keep it at high VF although the date is often weakly struck.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF-40. Nice coin.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 Tough coin to call!

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vf35

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look! 35?

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

25-30.

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF25. Love the coin.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin and interesting GTG!
    I'll guess VF30, very nice color.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the VF-30 w/a bump to VF-35 for the lovely color factor. A little too much wear to hit the XF realm for me.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2020 8:26PM

VF30, with beautiful color.

• android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40. Cool coin!

• RWMRWM Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I'll guess VF20. Thanks for sharing.

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF20

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF20 here too.
    Lance.

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking VF30

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

25 came to mind first but not my series so probably wrong.

Collector, occasional seller

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

40ish

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF35 and gorgeous toning might raise it to XF40. Nice coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has to be at the very least a vf30.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice T-11, the last Draped Bust half dollar made. These are tough to grade, VF30.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial reaction was 20, then convinced it's a 30. Actually I think it's a F/VF/XF/AU depending on which element you are looking at. The strike, the wear pattern, the luster peeking out and the color all move my brain around (which is why I let so many other people go first).

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Very nice
    edited March 27, 2020 10:48AM

@shorecoll said:
    My initial reaction was 20, then convinced it's a 30. Actually I think it's a F/VF/XF/AU depending on which element you are looking at. The strike, the wear pattern, the luster peeking out and the color all move my brain around (which is why I let so many other people go first).

There is indeed a lot going on here, the details are in the 20 range, but the strike on these is almost never full to start with, so that and the luster tends to increase the grade a little imo.

The colors are very attractive and add to the value (even if not the texhnical grade) , while likely acquired secondary after an old cleaning, possibly through circulation ages ago.

There are some field marks I'd like to take a glass to, they detract but not sure how much..

Those saying VF20, imo, are unlikely to be able to buy it at that level, even if slabbed VF20.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still like it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• RABRAB Posts: 132 ✭✭✭✭

Based on the pics, I certainly don't find the marks in the obv right field distracting. Great looking coin!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I would crack it out and resubmit. Love the coin and the toning.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the game... but, to me, looks like the scratches in the field may have caused the 30 grade...otherwise would consider it a 40. Cheers, RickO

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was going to say 35.Great looking coin with pleasant toning. The scratches don't bother me. Depending on how deep they are I can see it in a straight grade holder.

Awesome coin and great example of fair net grading. Some
    Strict collectors feel that any problem subtracts All the points, some old time insiders apparently feel that no problem subtracts any points from the "Technical Grade"..
    Here good old ANACS subtracted 10 points for the sum of the scratches ( we clearly see more than one, but not many more)
    This is the same calculus i used to guess.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file