Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ike is confusing!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2020 9:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guy's, first of all, my thread is NOT what you're thinking. Lol. I like typing in catchy titles, sorry. What I am talking about is this.
I've been cherry picking for a majority of my collecting life. I've been taught by a dealer friend of mine who I can honestly say, " he is an expert in the variety/error game." He's in a few books. In saying that, regardless of all the learning and knowledge I continue to be confused in this coin, as the variety aspect. It's the Ike Dollar! There are a few Varieties for this coin. Esp. the 1972 Reverse Type II. Also, the 1971s "Peg Leg". Here is where the confusion comes in. What are the KEY years for these? Proof or not proof, Business strike or not Business strike? I know there are different years for different Varieties. Which one is the BIG ONE for the "Peg Leg"? Which one is the BIG ONE for the Type II Variety? Before you guy's show me any pics, I seen all these and still can't really determine. Lol. Maybe it's just me getting old? Anyone else have these same confusing choices with the Ike's? Boy'o boy, It gets to be too difficult in pulling the trigger on purchasing these potential gems. I don't want to spend money foolishly. I been at a shop today and thought I found one (Peg Leg) the BIG ONE! It is a 1971 Proof, Brown Box. Then, I read it's not the Proofs. Oh well, thanks guy's. :s
No big thing, it's just frustrating. :s
See how these pics don't explain enough of detail. What year?, what Mint? :s

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are the ones you are looking for:

1971-S silver peg leg (regular strike, AKA "blue ike" - packaged in blue envelope)
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1971-s-1-silver-peg-leg-fs-401/148405

1972 P Type 2 reverse
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1972-1-type-2/97409

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. :)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

@joeykoins I am not really a variety collector, but I dug into the Ikes a bit and I agree, I ended up as confused as you!

I too become an "Angry Turtle"! ;)B)

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for the 1971-s type I proof... It very well could be one of the rarest proof coins of the 20th century... And apparently one of the most under appreciated as well. Best of luck in assembling a set.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn...now I have to go check my Ike dollars.... I have several in one of my coin cabinets...never checked for varieties...Well...might have time in the next week or two :D ...Of course, it is also a good time for spelunking, no worries about distancing or germs when deep in the caves.... ;) Plus, good exercise....Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Darn...now I have to go check my Ike dollars.... I have several in one of my coin cabinets...never checked for varieties...Well...might have time in the next week or two :D ...Of course, it is also a good time for spelunking, no worries about distancing or germs when deep in the caves.... ;) Plus, good exercise....Cheers, RickO

Good Luck, Ricko, in the world of The Ike. The Temptations said it best, "Ball of Confusion". :#

@coinkat said:
    Look for the 1971-s type I proof... It very well could be one of the rarest proof coins of the 20th century... And apparently one of the most under appreciated as well. Best of luck in assembling a set.

See, this is what I'm talking about. Type1?

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to collect Ikes, you should join the Ike Group and buy their reference books. That should answer your question.

@Insider2 said:
    If you are going to collect Ikes, you should join the Ike Group and buy their reference books. That should answer your question.

Good point! ;)

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me explain... The 1971-s proof Ike that everyone encounters has bold wings and breast feathers and is basically the type II reverse. Take a look at a blue envelope 1971-s unc. -look at the revers and it is clearly different than the brown box proof. The blue Ikes feature the type I reverse...look at the wings and breast feathers...they are different. There are a handful of the type I reverses that exist as proofs... The quantity that exist is truly as much as a mystery as to how it all happened. The documented number that exist is around 8-10 or so. Besides the mystery surrounding the 1964-D Peace Dollar, this is likely the best numismatic mystery of the second half of the 20th century... Of course I will limit that to US Coinage not to overstate the case.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Thank you for your clarity my friend! ;)<3

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2020 6:15PM

@JoeyCoins I see a lot of confusion on Ebay with what a Type 2 variety is. It seems everything is a Type 2.

The coin I think they are referring to is the 1972 IKE Type 2. That variety is exclusive to the 1972-P ike... not D, not S, not Proof.. Only the 1972-P (no mint mark) IKE. I see lots of 1972-D IKEs with the title Type 2.. It is confusing, I hope this helped

Also, the Types 1 & 3 are in reference to the 1972-P... I'm not saying there aren't other Type 1 and 2 varieties (1976), but in reference to the 1972 IKEs, I think that's what confuses folks..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file