Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Baltimore Coin Show - Canceled

CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen anything about it on the Whitman Coin Expo website, but Baltimore news outlets are reporting that the Mayor has canceled all events within the city of Baltimore with 250 or more attendees until the end of March.

Got Crust....y gold?

Comments

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

WBALTV Baltimore.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is true!!!!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

as the world turns is no more

its "as the list grows" of cancellations

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the dealers got an email over an hour ago.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

To those of you who think this stuff is not important, it's time for you to reset your clocks.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:

@CharlotteDude said:
    ... the Mayor has canceled all events within the city of Baltimore with 250 or more attendees until the end of March.

So the ban may not affect a coin show? ;)

Stop it!!! Ok, I may giggled a little! o:)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad, but it makes sense....What does bother me, is those that realize they are sick, but refuse to quarantine... The transmission is bad enough from those who are not aware they are infected, but transmitting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine Dalton would be next...

Understand, and honestly it might finally force me to concentrate on selling and grading my existing cards and coins.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 8:38AM

The Governor of Maryland has stated there can be no events with over 250 people until the.State of Emergency is lifted. The city of Baltimore can restrict this to less people but can not circumvent the State and allow more people.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do they even put a number on these new rules. It's like nothing can transmit if there's only 227 people?
    Here in NY the number is 500.
    I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm tired of listening to the whole thing.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    Why do they even put a number on these new rules. It's like nothing can transmit if there's only 227 people?

Same logic applies to the age at risk 60 and up. What if you are age 59 and 360 days, are you exempt despite so close to age 60?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 10:33AM

My kids school just got canceled in San Diego :o

For at least one month :o:o:o

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@thebeav said:

Same logic applies to the age at risk 60 and up. What if you are age 59 and 360 days, are you exempt despite so close to age 60?

@thebeav said:

Obviously, these limits are being put into place to limit spread. They aren't hard figures in the sense that the virus can't spread among x number of people, or that 59 year old can't get sick by 60 year olds can. These are to give people a sense that large gatherings are to be avoided, and the older populations are more vulnerable. There's nothing unreasonable about being careful at this point. The point, which the comments miss, is that officials are trying to contain the spread as much as possible. Same thing with limiting travel and closing border. It doesn't mean the virus won't cross borders or that you will necessarily get sick if you travel. The point is containment.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:

Odd that a sporting event held in the wide open air/spaces like Golf or Nascar where air circulates would be canceled, but up to 500 people in close quarters inside a closed bldg. would be safer.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's for the best. Time will tell.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't prove it, but I think the 250 number might have something to do with allowing religious services to continue. I am guessing that most church or other religious services have less than 250 attendees, but not by much. And there could be some craziness if people felt their church-going was being "outlawed".

Most anything else, like sporting events, coin shows, or professional conferences, are probably much more easily brushed off as "disposable".

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lest anybody not take this seriously... we are starting to see actual albeit preliminary science being done. These are showing up as letters (i.e. not peer-reviewed science) in respectable medical journals...

Real estimates of mortality following COVID-19 infection
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30195-X/fulltext

As of March 1, 2020, 79 968 patients in China and 7169 outside of China had tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).1 Among Chinese patients, 2873 deaths had occurred, equivalent to a mortality rate of 3·6% (95% CI 3·5–3·7), while 104 deaths from COVID-19 had been reported outside of China (1·5% [1·2–1·7]).

>

However, these mortality rate estimates are based on the number of deaths relative to the number of confirmed cases of infection, which is not representative of the actual death rate; patients who die on any given day were infected much earlier, and thus the denominator of the mortality rate should be the total number of patients infected at the same time as those who died. Notably, the full denominator remains unknown because asymptomatic cases or patients with very mild symptoms might not be tested and will not be identified.

>

We re-estimated mortality rates by dividing the number of deaths on a given day by the number of patients with confirmed COVID-19 infection 14 days before. On this basis, using WHO data on the cumulative number of deaths to March 1, 2020, mortality rates would be 5·6% (95% CI 5·4–5·8) for China and 15·2% (12·5–17·9) outside of China. Global mortality rates over time using a 14-day delay estimate are shown in the figure, with a curve that levels off to a rate of 5·7% (5·5–5·9), converging with the current WHO estimates. Estimates will increase if a longer delay between onset of illness and death is considered. A recent time-delay adjusted estimation indicates that mortality rate of COVID-19 could be as high as 20% in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.6 These findings show that the current figures might underestimate the potential threat of COVID-19 in symptomatic patients.

5.7% is 57x greater than the mortality rate of seasonal influenza (0.1% which causes between 291,000 and 646,000 people to die each year worldwide - https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2017/p1213-flu-death-estimate.html)

Get your flu shot - CDC estimates it has prevented from 3,500 to 12,000 deaths each year in the US (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/past-burden-averted-est.html)

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a necessary and wise decision. We can't take the risk especially with our seniors and those with pre-existing conditions with higher susceptibility. Hopefully the testing will be done as rigorously as in South Korea so we can separate those infected so they can fully recover and not infect others.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post BStraus- I wish more had listened earlier to professionals instead of faux news and coin dealers turned medical professionals

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file