Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Whitman Baltimore Spring Show. Is it still on? Who is attending?

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maryland just declared a state of emergency over the first COVID19 cases in the state.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/05/coronavirus-maryland-cases-122587

Has anybody heard if Whitman plans to continue forward with the show? I would like to cancel my scheduled day off work if they are calling the show off. Much obliged.

Otherwise, I plan to be there on Friday. Who else is planning to attend?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far, we're business as usual at work, but the situation is fluid.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never gone so they won't miss me. Not due to a virus but their laws on concealed carry.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be there. Same Bat Time, Same Bat Table!

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭

I am planning to go on Saturday. Agree with @ricko, they should not cancel it unless there is major change in number of cases.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a coin show to me.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

The state of emergency was 3 cases in Montgomery County, which is more DC than MD, but panic is a weird thing to deal with.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be there Friday and perhaps Saturday.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be careful with those dealers eating and handling coins with their greasy paws.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Wow.... Panic is growing.... State of Emergency declaration?? Seems a bit radical....The flu, and flu death rate is in the thousands already this year... No SOE declared....Cheers, RickO

I believe a formal State of Emergency declaration allows a state to request federal funds as reimbursement for some costs. It probably also allows the government to temporarily bypass internal red tape at the state level to make procurements and deploy resources.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someyear, I'd like to make it back but not this year.

However, it is not because of the Corona Virus.

I do not let fear dictate my decisions.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:

@ricko said:
    Wow.... Panic is growing.... State of Emergency declaration?? Seems a bit radical....The flu, and flu death rate is in the thousands already this year... No SOE declared....Cheers, RickO

I believe a formal State of Emergency declaration allows a state to request federal funds as reimbursement for some costs. It probably also allows the government to temporarily bypass internal red tape at the state level to make procurements and deploy resources.

Exactly. There are many State of Emergencies declared so far. The county I live in has declared it.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

Based on a variety of factors I highly doubt I will be attending. I live in California, dont think cross country travel is the wisest for a show right now.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blu62vette said:
    Based on a variety of factors I highly doubt I will be attending. I live in California, dont think cross country travel is the wisest for a show right now.

Don't blame you.......Flying is different than driving.........You're basically trapped in an incubation chamber with (possibly infected) strangers.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be there! Virus don’t scare me. Making the 10 hour drive with a friend.

Any hotel recommendations? Never been to Baltimore.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:
    Not due to a virus but their laws on concealed carry.

What do you want to do? Shoot the germs?

He’s saying he won’t go to Maryland because they’ll hassle him about carrying.

I however will be carrying... go to Baltimore without a pistol? :D Hilarious.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

Priceline is your friend...especially the Inner Harbor in Baltimore!

@Pnies20 said:
    I’ll be there! Virus don’t scare me. Making the 10 hour drive with a friend.

Any hotel recommendations? Never been to Baltimore.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect by the time this show happens there will be many empty tables. Meaning more than usual.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    I suspect by the time this show happens there will be many empty tables. Meaning more than usual.

This is my suspicion as well. I will wait for the Thursday show reports before deciding if I want to make the trip down or not.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to a show today and it was busy. They said it was even more busy yesterday. Don't worry be happy!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m there This virus thing WAY overhyped with near riots levels of lemming reaction

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting to see peoples thoughts on this subject depending on what news service they listen to :o:o:o

I believe in science and facts, period.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s not get political. LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    @Pnies20 Any hotel recommendations? Never been to Baltimore.

I recommend the Days Inn at the Inner Harbour. Nice rooms and reasonable.
    Less than 5 minute walk to the show. Enjoy the show and I hope you will post
    a show report. Safe travels!!

I'll bet there will be some great last minute hotel deals online!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@2ndCharter said:
    Not due to a virus but their laws on concealed carry.

What do you want to do? Shoot the germs?

Now that would be a novel defense!

Andy Lustig

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Whitman decides to cancel the show I hope they do it soon so as
    not to inconvenience the long distant traveler. I would hate to be flying
    in and as I get off the plane, get a text that it has been canceled.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be smart to attend virtually.

Some European sports teams are still playing, but without audiences.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2020 9:46AM

If they cancel it will cost many of us $'s as me and many folks I know buy our non-refundable hotel rooms months in advance.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2020 10:44AM

I E-mailed the Whitman company asking them about the show status.
    no reply yet. Maybe contact Stacks/Bowers for info. Still just 10 days away.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    If they cancel it will cost many of us $'s as me and many folks I know buy our non-refundable hotel rooms months in advance.

I can never bring myself to do a non refundable hotel room, I keep all my travel stuff refundable, too much can go wrong. Right now I assume I am losing my table fee as I wont be traveling to the show.

One school district has shut down around here. My daughters will likely be next.

• Options

@Tibor said:
    I E-mailed the Whitman company asking them about the show status.
    no reply yet. Maybe contact Stacks/Bowers for info. Still just 10 days away.

I dont think whitman will cancel. Then they have to refund the table fees and it would be a huge loss to them. It is more if the convention center will cancel, then they take the financial hit.

• Options

Might be better to take a financial loss as opposed to bad publicity for having a
    show where many of the dealers decide not to show up. Those attending would
    most likely blame Whitman for not canceling the show because of the virus. As you
    pointed out, maybe the convention center will make the canceling decision. I hope
    the decision is made before many leave for the event.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2020 1:23PM

@amwldcoin said:

Many companies are recognizing the unusual situation and providing alternatives. I think I heard this for airlines.

• Options

Well, I probably stay in a nice hotel walking distance from the show for 1/2 what you pay. I suppose getting stuck once should average out well enough. Stayed at the Sheraton connected to the convention center last year for $71 a night!

@blu62vette said:

@amwldcoin said:

I can never bring myself to do a non refundable hotel room, I keep all my travel stuff refundable, too much can go wrong. Right now I assume I am losing my table fee as I wont be traveling to the show.

One school district has shut down around here. My daughters will likely be next.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2020 3:58PM

I seriously doubt Priceline will do any refunding, regardless of the circumstances. It's the chance you take for the savings. They do offer travel insurance that would probably cover it. In over a decade with 10-20 bookings a year I haven't missed a reservation yet(KNOCK ON WOOD!)

I think the only way the show could be cancelled is if the government forces it.

@Zoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

Many companies are recognizing the unusual situation and providing alternatives. I think I heard this for airlines.

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

I think the only way the show could be cancelled is if the government forces it.

It could be cancelled by Whitman. Did you mean would ?

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options

@Zoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

I tried changing a flight this week and got no sympathy from the airline. I had to buy a new ticket. Same story with non-refundable hotel purchases.

On the other hand, it might have been easier if I had been traveling to or from a "Travel Alert" nation like China or Italy.

Andy Lustig

• Options

Yeap! :)

@TradesWithChops said:

@amwldcoin said:

It could be cancelled by Whitman. Did you mean would ?

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

We will be at our usual table. Think of the airplane 757. As always we will be giving away plenty of candy and our coins all have the emergency masks as required see pic below

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Wish I could go! I always have a good time at the Baltimore Expo and always find nice additions for my collections. This time around I'll be chained to my desk in Atlanta, working on the next volume of the Cherrypickers' Guide and other upcoming Whitman books. Enjoy the coins and crabcakes, those of you who get to go!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter Perhaps your comment was intended to be sarcastic. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I stand by my comment. I have never been to the Balto show because I cannot protect myself or my assets. Like it or not No Guns = No $$.

I think you would be surprised at the number of dealers that carry a weapon. And they aren't likely to admit it on a public forum like this.

I won't miss Balto - and never will.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    @2ndCharter Perhaps your comment was intended to be sarcastic. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I stand by my comment. I have never been to the Balto show because I cannot protect myself or my assets. Like it or not No Guns = No $$.

I think you would be surprised at the number of dealers that carry a weapon. And they aren't likely to admit it on a public forum like this.

I won't miss Balto - and never will.

Nothing to see here, move along the government will keep you safe! Another day, another mass shooting in charm city..

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/6-shot-1-dead-in-overnight-shooting-in-rosedale-baltimore-county/31273211

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

If transmission of the virus doesn't get out of hand, I'll definitely be there...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was planning to attend. Have decided to pass this year. Not due to the virus but the presumption of lower attendance by dealers. I work in EMS. Not really concerned about the virus. My opinion, media blowing it all out of proportion.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would be a good show for buyers and not for the dealers with lower than usual attendance. But the show "Must go on!"

Ws

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

I’m going

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file