Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thumbprint on my nice find!

Was searching some rolls of coins and found a nearly uncirculated 1994-D Lincoln cent. :smiley: But then I flipped it over and found a big old fat fingerprint on it. :neutral:

So I have not tried to do anything to it. Can I soak it in mineral oil or something? Is there anything I can do? Or should I just send it over to Dick Tracy to help me find the culprit? LOL

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like he has a runny nose. Maybe coronavirus! :o

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

Yeah wash your hands after handling that one!

• Options

Oh no, he was just chewing bubblegum and it blew up and then he sneezed and it made a bubble out of his nose. He's not been to China in the past weeks and shows no symptoms. ;)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

I was born in Corona. Nice town. Long ago.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had cents with prints on them that looked just like that .. I tried removing the print with a soak in acetone with no luck.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably been on there too long to remove with acetone. The oils from the skin have likely discolored and/or lightly etched the copper plating. It’s very doubtful you can remove it without messing up the coins

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with fingerprints, is that they are acidic to some degree (depending on the individual) and if left for any length of time, etch the surface of coins....and this cannot be fixed. So, likely there is nothing that will help that cent...you could try a short soak in Dawn dishwashing liquid.... then an extended hot water rinse. I doubt it will remove the print, but it will remove any residual oils. The cent itself is not of any numismatic value and you could likely buy uncirculated 1994 rolls on ebay. So, unless you have a sentimental attachment to this coin, I recommend you just move on... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks for the comments guys. I seem to get caught up in no value coins because they are shiney! I just recently figured out many of the pre 2000 cents in my collection have probably been cleaned because they shine but worn. Lol well I gotta start somewhere.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:

Well....I found this 72 DDo back in 1972......With a fingerprint!

As far as fingerprints go that is fairly attractive!

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

pCGS MS63 RB

• Options

@ironmanl63 said:

@ambro51 said:

Well....I found this 72 DDo back in 1972......With a fingerprint!

As far as fingerprints go that is fairly attractive!

Looks like somebody rang his liberty bell and the words got blurry! Lol

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't like finger prints ... but yours has character. Nice coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file