Home U.S. Coin Forum

My latest pickup and my first guess the grade...Grade revealed in first post.

divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 17, 2020 10:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

and since we are always talking about CAC, does it have a CAC sticker? My photography skills are severely lacking and the scans show no luster which it has. I also included a Trueview to give more data to look at.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions, good or bad.

I will post the grade later this evening.

Thanks, Donato

Graded MS61 CAC

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 CAC 62 No CAC

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pickup Donato. Since I don't know how to grade gold, I'll agree with whatever @Smudge thinks! B)

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. 55

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

60 gold cac

Many happy BST transactions
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

61 I LOVE it!

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 no CAC, and a like from for sure!

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess 58 CAC approved

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 10:49AM

I don't know squat about gold.

The fields are throwing me a curve.

My first thought was AU 58... but I am going with MS64 based on the Tru View

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice to me, AU-50 to me. If it was silver, I’d go XF-45.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

ms62 cac

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought "solid AU58" when I first looked at it, but then remembered my tendency to undergrade gold, so I'll now guess MS61.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • jedmjedm Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 with the CAC green bean

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 CAC. As well> @Hallco said:

Very nice pickup Donato. Since I don't know how to grade gold, I'll agree with whatever @Smudge thinks! B)

You sure that is wise?

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

61-62.

Nice choice!
    Lance.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 cac

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

58+ and a really lovely "keeper" coin

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 CAC

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the answer, and will only say it's super nice for the grade! Should bean.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 4:16PM

I love the look of the coin. However, without knowing the grade, guessing whether it has a CAC sticker seems very odd to me. And you’re not the first poster to offer such an exercise. Someone could guess multiple grades, each one low enough to merit a sticker, if submitted to CAC. But that would be largely meaningless.

Edited to add : My grade guess is MS63. And shame on any grade guesses below 58 even if it turns out that the coin was graded that low.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

63 no CAC

@MFeld said:
    Edited to add : My grade guess is MS63 and shame on any grade guesses below 58.

I wanted to say that it is a guess I made. I don’t have a lot of experience with this coin type and I made my guess based upon the luster cartwheel. Every coin I’ve ever seen with that cartwheel was never graded above 50. I don’t have the opportunity to view the many hundreds of thousands of coins needed to be more accurate. Mine was a sincere attempt even if no one chooses to accept that.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

great looking classic head! I guess 62

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I love the look of the coin. However, without knowing the grade, guessing whether it has a CAC sticker seems very odd to me. And you’re not the first poster to offer such an exercise. Someone could guess multiple grades, each one low enough to merit a sticker, if submitted to CAC. But that would be largely meaningless.

@MFeld Mark, you are correct as far as guessing CAC or no CAC. I thought about it after posting it. I would have been better off just doing a guess the grade and then after revealing the correct grade a more educated guess could of been made on the coin having a CAC sticker or not.

Thanks for your input and all the other comments. Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin! 64.

@TurtleCat said:

@MFeld said:

I wanted to say that it is a guess I made. I don’t have a lot of experience with this coin type and I made my guess based upon the luster cartwheel. Every coin I’ve ever seen with that cartwheel was never graded above 50. I don’t have the opportunity to view the many hundreds of thousands of coins needed to be more accurate. Mine was a sincere attempt even if no one chooses to accept that.

Well sure, luster plays a big part in the grade (particularly with UNCs), but a 50 grade would be based on obvious wear, and this coin doesn't show that. Furthermore, the cartwheel effect can't really be observed from still photos.

@CoinJunkie said:

@TurtleCat said:

@MFeld said:

Well sure, luster plays a big part in the grade (particularly with UNCs), but a 50 grade would be based on obvious wear, and this coin doesn't show that. Furthermore, the cartwheel effect can't really be observed from still photos.

And hence it was a guess from a picture. I have several coins where the TrueView isn’t exactly a perfect representation of the coin. Sorry if my guess is insulting to people. Hard to believe it would be and it’s weird I feel I have to defend myself. Chalk it up to me being imperfect.

edited February 17, 2020 4:53PM

@TurtleCat said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@TurtleCat said:

@MFeld said:

And hence it was a guess from a picture. I have several coins where the TrueView isn’t exactly a perfect representation of the coin. Sorry if my guess is insulting to people. Hard to believe it would be and it’s weird I feel I have to defend myself. Chalk it up to me being imperfect.

I wouldn't say your guess was "insulting". You stated that you didn't have much experience grading this type, and as such, you should probably be open to educating yourself based on other (more experienced) posters' grade guesses and comments. I retracted my LOL from your initial post, as I hadn't realized you'd take it personally.

EDIT: While luster is hard to gauge from photos, wear is generally easier. Look through CoinFacts images (or Photograde) for this type to get a sense of which areas of the coin would typically show initial wear.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Europe, it's an XF.

Good thing that we're not in Europe.

I think that it's a 58 which means that it will probably holder in the 62-63 area.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 cac

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 5:26PM

@TurtleCat said:

@MFeld said:

@TurtleCat said:

@MFeld said:

We’re all guessing. I apologize if I sounded harsh, in trying to provide some insight into how a I thought the coin should grade (and into how it shouldn’t grade). I’m mistaken plenty of times. And you weren’t the only one who guessed below 58.

Cartwheel luster is far more likely to be evident on mint state coins, not coins graded 50 and lower. So I don’t understand your comment about that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

61-62

The surfaces look unmolested, but i can't guess the CAC without knowing the grade. Unless graded super optimistically, it would have a good shot.

@MFeld said:

Cartwheel luster is far more likely to be evident on mint state coins, not coins graded 50 and lower. So I don’t understand your comment about that.

In the first pictures the cartwheel only appears to be around the outside edges. TrueView pictures tend to obscure cartwheel luster because the prioritize lower contrast images to show more color. If I was looking at the coin in front of me, I would likely judge differently. And I guess sometimes words just hit us certain ways on certain days.

Hence why I would likely not buy much of the TPGs weren’t in existence.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice example. MS62.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 6:19PM

AU 58 - Solid quality coin. If u sent it to CAC it should have beaned.

Coins & Currency
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

The assumption is if you believe your guess to be correct. Which I assume you do or why would you have guessed it. Would the coin in the grade you guessed receive a sticker.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the coin with the grade below. Some nice guesses and some not so much. This is exactly why I don't buy coins on-line and only buy in person at shows. Still photos or scans, especially coming from some rookie like me don't show luster or the cartwheel effect that a coin may have and believe me, I tried. I did not mean for this post to cause hard feelings, my apologies if it did. I appreciate all the guesses and comments.

Thanks, Donato

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know diddly about grading gold but seems MS 62 MS 63 to me. I'd think the coin has a green bean only because if I owned it I'd sent it in for review.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the party. Man, that’s at least a 62 and 63 wouldn’t have surprised me.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the party again.... However, I would have guessed MS62.... Nice gold coin.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file