Home Sports Talk

Oh Ye of Red Sox Nation, Hear Ye, Hear Ye

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rick Procello has left the building. He is now a Met.

And so it begins.

That is all, carry on.

Comments

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭

Reports are that Mookie want $36 million a year for 12 years to sign.
    I say sign him and then trade him for 6 or so high level prospects to the Dodgers.
    That would be a great deal for both teams..

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad Porcello is gone. never cared for him even in the cy young year. It is a big price for Mookie, but the red sox also have a lot of money. why not sign him? it is not as if there is a hard cap in baseball.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to get Pedroia off the books, just cash settle him and say bye bye. He has been nothing but a parasite for years now, enough is enough

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone see a good reason to not sign Mookie? The Red Sox print money.

They definitely should sign him and see what else happens. That is the going price for superstars like him. Do you realize what he could bring in a trade signed for 12 years?

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enough with the Mookie thing already...get rid of him. Seriously, a great talent, but what does he add to the bottom line out of 162 games?? How many wins can be directly attributed to him...2/3?

Agree, about Pedroia...they still owe him a mind-bogging $25m. Crazy money. That's what you get for having a forever long MLB policy of pay up front, thus no incentive...or, if he can't play, there's gotta be a reduction clause of some kind.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Betts =/= Trout. No contest. $300 for 10 sounds about right.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed about pedroia. Ready to move on. Not sure why he would settle though. All he has to do is " rehab" for two more years and collect his salary.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Mitch Moreland has been resigned for one year.

The Betts saga continues...maybe a deal with Betts/Price is brewing.

That is all, carry on.

Well the football season is over so now its the Red Sox on schedule. Seeing as how I can't do much anymore I have decided to get the baseball package again this year. It will be something to do every day instead of looking at my walls.

Betts and Price are now members of the Dodgers. YA!

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

The Sox have now unofficially thrown in the towel on 2020 and are an absolute train wreck, BUT the next 24 months should be interesting!
    Give Pedroia the job as manager for this lost season and save some $. Maybe he'll do it. How disheartening for the guys on that club. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if someone gets hurt and they lose 90+ games.
    Plenty of good seats available!!!
    Good news is Perkdog gets the opening day pitching assignment and I'm hitting in front of DJ.

On another note, can you imagjne the Dodgers NOT winning in 2020? That would be hilarious...and a serious setback to that franchise.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red Sox had thrown in the towel when their biggest free agent signing was Martin Perez. If they can really get Verdugo and Graterol for Betts and Price (even if they have to pay two thirds of Price's contract) then this is success beyond their wildest dreams. I had thought that the best that they would be able to do was to trade the pair to San Diego for Myers or otherwise the only way to get rid of Price's contract would be to send along Devers for a PTBNL.

Easy to imagine the Dodgers not winning. In baseball the team with the best collection of players doesn't always, or even usually, win. If so, the Red Sox, with almost exactly the same team as won the world series in 2018 at this time last year should easily have won again.

At least with Graterol they have a prospect now. Dalbec is in no sense a prospect.

Betts refused to sign and Price is worthless so it is best to lose Betts now instead of next year and losing Price and his $31 million contract is a good move. We shall see what the new season brings..It should be interesting.

In regards to Pedroia and handed the keys as a Manager I would say that would be a terrible idea, the guy has ZERO leadership skills, cut ties with him and don’t look back. I’d like to see Varitek given a shot at managing the team.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2020 5:53AM

Up next for the Sox this offseason is MLB's investigation.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Good on the Betts/Price deal. It's all about the Benjamins.

Bad idea on Pedroia...pay him off and say "c'ya".

Buck Showalter or Hensley Muellins next manager, Varitek not in consideration. My money is on Buck. He suffered in Baltimore with no talent to manage. Well, there was one with a big mouth.

That is all, carry on.

I agree with Showalter.

I would welcome Showalter

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I would welcome Showalter

I would too, but I like your Varitek idea.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2020 6:50AM

@daltex said:

At least with Graterol they have a prospect now.

Hated to see Graterol go. I have been following him for the last 3 years or so as a Twins prospect.

He finally made it to the majors last year and looked good. Smaller guy at 6'1", but throws HARD and doesn't seem to have the wildness that a lot of young "flamethrowers" have. He has hit triple digits!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@softparade said:

And hopefully another year when the Yankees spend more and don’t win it 👍👍

I think the investigation will mostly be around the Astros .
    Gratol sounds like a good prospect.
    I like Veritec but he needs some seasoning in the minors before jumping into the majors or at least some coaching experience.

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

Won't bother me at all. Seen plenty of winning in my day. Glad to be a fan of a team that wants it every year. Can't ask for more than that. You should know as the Sox are the same way. But I'm gonna enjoy the penalties handed down that are inbound :)

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2020 9:10AM

@daltex said:
    Red Sox had thrown in the towel when their biggest free agent signing was Martin Perez. If they can really get Verdugo and Graterol for Betts and Price (even if they have to pay two thirds of Price's contract) then this is success beyond their wildest dreams. I had thought that the best that they would be able to do was to trade the pair to San Diego for Myers or otherwise the only way to get rid of Price's contract would be to send along Devers for a PTBNL.

Easy to imagine the Dodgers not winning. In baseball the team with the best collection of players doesn't always, or even usually, win. If so, the Red Sox, with almost exactly the same team as won the world series in 2018 at this time last year should easily have won again.

At least with Graterol they have a prospect now. Dalbec is in no sense a prospect.

Sour grapes much?

Losers tout prospects.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

glad to see Price gone. He had a good run for a couple of weeks in 2018, thank you for that. Betts was gone end of this year anyway, better to get at least something out of him. As much as it would be great to have a team chock full of the best in the game, the sport is still a business and paying two guys 30 million a year doesn't seem like good business.

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

Won't bother me at all. Seen plenty of winning in my day. Glad to be a fan of a team that wants it every year. Can't ask for more than that. You should know as the Sox are the same way. But I'm gonna enjoy the penalties handed down that are inbound :)

Yea the best part of it is that it won’t hurt them one bit.

edited February 5, 2020 11:20AM

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

Might lose draft picks. That would hurt. Not to mention an asterisk on a championship. We'll see.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting seeing comments from fans of the rich teams. The Red Sox just dumped two players that earn more money than my team's (Pirates) entire payroll. Time for me to go watch Moneyball again and then figure out if there are any more cheap misfit toys on the scrapheap that can be a headline signing before we break for camp.

I hope baseball somehow figures out how to balance out the league. The current system isn't working.

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

Might lose draft picks. That would hurt. Not to mention an asterisk on a championship. We'll see.

Nah they can just spend on players if they get hit with losing picks on the draft. And good luck with getting an asterisk on the ‘18 series, you could find something wrong somewhere on an Championship Winner

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

Nah they can just spend on players if they get hit with losing picks on the draft. And good luck with getting an asterisk on the ‘18 series, you could find something wrong somewhere on an Championship Winner

Probably, but the court of public opinion can be ruthless. We'll see.

@hammer1 said:

@daltex said:

Sour grapes much?

Losers tout prospects.

Not at all. Did you read my post? I thought the Red Sox would have to pay more than one year of Betts to make Price's contract go away, like the Angels with Cozart. Getting something back that may even pan out in the future is gravy. Dodgers overpaid, IMO.

Why should the Red Sox cut ties with Pedroia? No financial benefit. No salary cap benefit. On the 60 day IL he doesn't even take up a roster spot. Even if there is no chance he can play in the majors again, it's a feel-good story at almost no cost.

@daltex said:
    Why should the Red Sox cut ties with Pedroia? No financial benefit. No salary cap benefit. On the 60 day IL he doesn't even take up a roster spot. Even if there is no chance he can play in the majors again, it's a feel-good story at almost no cost.

I’m lost on the feel good part?

edited February 5, 2020 4:25PM

@daltex said:

@hammer1 said:

@daltex said:

Sour grapes much?

Losers tout prospects.

Not at all. Did you read my post? I thought the Red Sox would have to pay more than one year of Betts to make Price's contract go away, like the Angels with Cozart. Getting something back that may even pan out in the future is gravy. Dodgers overpaid, IMO.

Did you read what you wrote, or did someone write it for you?

1) You said: "Easy to imagine the Dodgers not winning? " You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Very typical whiney SOUR GRAPES statement. Any unbiased fan/oddsmaker/player will tell you Dodgers will be one of two teams standing at the end.

2) You said: _ "At least with Graterol they have a prospect now". _ Every losing team has prospects. In fact the bigger losers have the higher draft prospects. When you got nothing you talk prospects. Again in case you have difficulty comprehending an irrefutable sports fact, Winning teams talk about their stellar players. Like the Dodgers. Losing teams talk about their "PROSPECTS." Exactly Like you're doing .

-btw Boston got the worst of this deal. You could've had Joc Pederson, 37 HR, and under $10m SALARY. Same day we got Mookie, we gave away Joc Pederson for a nothing infielder from the Angels. Might have been a nice replacement for Mookie's home runs. Nice bargaining Boston. LOL.

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

@perkdog said:

@softparade said:

Probably, but the court of public opinion can be ruthless. We'll see.

Dan, honestly do either one of us care even a little bit about the court of public opinion???

I am just looking forward to the season no matter what happens. I accepted the fact that Mookie was leaving long ago and just hope for the best. I need to fill my time with something as I really have nothing else to do anyway and its cheap entertainment for me.

@perkdog said:

@daltex said:

Not having to cut a franchise hero? Not seeing Pedroia in another uniform? Fans rewarding loyalty at no cost? It's not like Pedroia is going to retire and refuse his extra money.

@hammer1 said:

@daltex said:

@hammer1 said:

@daltex said:

Sour grapes much?

Losers tout prospects.

Did you read what you wrote, or did someone write it for you?

1) You said: "Easy to imagine the Dodgers not winning? " You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Very typical whiney SOUR GRAPES statement. Any unbiased fan/oddsmaker/player will tell you Dodgers will be one of two teams standing at the end.

2) You said: _ "At least with Graterol they have a prospect now". _ Every losing team has prospects. In fact the bigger losers have the higher draft prospects. When you got nothing you talk prospects. Again in case you have difficulty comprehending an irrefutable sports fact, Winning teams talk about their stellar players. Like the Dodgers. Losing teams talk about their "PROSPECTS." Exactly Like you're doing .

-btw Boston got the worst of this deal. You could've had Joc Pederson, 37 HR, and under $10m SALARY. Same day we got Mookie, we gave away Joc Pederson for a nothing infielder from the Angels. Might have been a nice replacement for Mookie's home runs. Nice bargaining Boston. LOL.

Things happen. In 2001 what were the odds that Seattle would win just one game in the LCS. The Dodgers may be the best team on paper and probably are the best team on paper in the National League, but injuries happen, and funny things can happen in a short series.

Yes, a prospect is better than the nothing they would have due their laughably stripped minor league system after Betts is a free agent next year.

The Dodgers may have gotten the better of the deal, but they paid far more than I ever thought the Red Sox could have gotten for Price and Betts. I really thought that the best they could do was Wil Myers for those two. By the way, can you name a single GM out there who wouldn't pay $17 million for a year of Betts over a year of Pederson?

BTW, what on earth makes you think I'm a Red Sox fan?

@daltex said:

@perkdog said:

@daltex said:

Not having to cut a franchise hero? Not seeing Pedroia in another uniform? Fans rewarding loyalty at no cost? It's not like Pedroia is going to retire and refuse his extra money.

Pedroia would never get signed by another team, his knee has been junk for years now and he has done nothing. It’s a business and I want what’s best for the Red Sox not any player, yes that is correct I don’t give a crap about any of the players. They are hired guns nothing more nothing less

@daltex said:

By the way, can you name a single GM out there who wouldn't pay $17 million for a year of Betts over a year of Pederson?

Not the point. We're discussing yesterday's trade assets.

Joc had more HR's than Betts last year.

Been nice for Boston to get this young, cheap, home run hitter, who was obviously available.

@hammer1 said:

@daltex said:

By the way, can you name a single GM out there who wouldn't pay $17 million for a year of Betts over a year of Pederson?

Not the point. We're discussing yesterday's trade assets.

Joc had more HR's than Betts last year.

Been nice for Boston to get this young, cheap, home run hitter, who was obviously available.

I'm done. Obviously you are unwilling to read for comprehension, but I hope everyone else understands.

@perkdog said:

@daltex said:

@perkdog said:

@daltex said:

Pedroia would never get signed by another team, his knee has been junk for years now and he has done nothing. It’s a business and I want what’s best for the Red Sox not any player, yes that is correct I don’t give a crap about any of the players. They are hired guns nothing more nothing less

I get that, but how is it better for the team to cut Pedroia?

@daltex said:
    I'm done. Obviously you are unwilling to read for comprehension, but I hope everyone else understands.

You're done because your reading comprehension doesn't allow you to stick to the issue.

I spelled it out three different times, and you still don't get it.

Keep changing the issue when you've lost, maybe no one will notice.

@daltex said:

@perkdog said:

@daltex said:

@perkdog said:

@daltex said:

I get that, but how is it better for the team to cut Pedroia?

Because he offers zero leadership and there is no reason to have him taking up space.

According to Jim Rice, Mookie Betts said he did not want to leave the Red Sox. If that is the case he should have accepted the huge $300,000,000 contract he was offered. I think GREEDY is the word that describes him best.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    According to Jim Rice, Mookie Betts said he did not want to leave the Red Sox. If that is the case he should have accepted the huge $300,000,000 contract he was offered. I think GREEDY is the word that describes him best.

If this is the case then please let the door hit him on the way out 🤷‍♂️

Right in the A$$!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see how he performs in a "pitchers" park. His splits show much better OPS at home for much of his career.

2015, he had a 130 higher OPS at home. 2016 100 points higher at home. 2017 his worst hitting year, he actually hit better on the road. 2018 he had a great year on the road but was still 73 points higher at home. Last year he had a higher home OPS by 125 points.

Not a Larry Walker like difference, but if he's looking for that much money (are the owners ever going to just stop offering these insane contracts?) and he has trouble hitting in Dodger stadium, it might be interesting to see if he should have taken the Red Sox offer.

He's going from arguably the second easiest to the third toughest parks to hit in.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

two things:
    1. I'm not sure why everyone keeps going on about Moneyball - how many world championships has it lead to for the A's since it was implemented (answer-0).
    2. If the Red Sox get below the luxury tax this year and reset their rates, they can bring back Betts on a huge contract without a tax penalty. Maybe he takes a year vacation in LA, but comes back in 2021 with both sides happy

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2