Home Sports Talk

If you could change/add a rule to NBA, NFL, MLB

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 26, 2020 5:39PM in Sports Talk

What would it be?

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

All performancing enhancing substances would be permitted.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Only you CS......only you!

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020 7:04PM

NBA- no intentional fouling players who aren't in possession of the ball. If you do, that teams gets 3 free throws by their best foul shooter on the floor.

I hate watching 'Hack a Shaq', 'Hack a Dwight.'

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020 7:10PM

NFL- no touching any receiver, while he is running a pass route. Not even in the first 5 yards. If he's blocking, or touches the ball he's fair game.

Takes away all the plays where a receiver is held, jammed, etc. and no flag.

I want to see the grace of a skilled receiver vs a good DB. Not a wrestling match off the line, and jersey grabs downfield.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

NBA: no slapping hands with every teammate after a free throw, made or missed.

(goes outside to yell at a passing cloud)

NFL: no celebrating a sack or tackle or catch or anything else other than a touchdown or turnover. A player is paid to do those basic things.

(goes outside to yell at children having fun)

MLB: the team with the worst record in baseball shall be contracted for six years.

MLB: abolish the DH.

(goes outside and enjoys the silence)

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

NBA: there should be a rule that a player can't take more than one step after picking up his dribble. They could call it "traveling".

NBA: Any personal foul in the final 5:00 of every game will be deemed an intentional foul.

NBA: Each team will be allowed one timeout per half.

I'm not sure if these three would be sufficient to make the NBA watchable again, but they'd be a good start.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL - get rid of automatic first downs on defensive penalties OR all offensive penalties are also loss of down (unless it's already 4th down)

MLB - hard & fast pitch clock of 10 seconds.

NHL - facewashing is a mandatory penalty on top of any other penalties during a play

NBA - jumpstops are called as traveling (since that's what they are)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2020 11:32PM

Well, I've always thought that the losing coach of a game should have to put on one of those George Washington wigs and wear it back to the locker room.

For a season anyway, I would like to drop the batting order in baseball and let the manager send any guy to the plate as often as he likes.

...and ban whispering from the losing football team's post game locker room.

Damn reporters are afraid to upset the damn coach.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

Only you CS......only you!

No you can add me to that list as well. Your an adult and you want to use PEDS? Go for it. On a less argumentative note I’d lessen the amount of time a Pitcher has to throw the pitch. In the NFL I absolutely would make Pass Interference a blanket 15 yard penalty

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020 6:29AM

Yes, and after each big game victory, I would like to see a bucket of gravy dumped on the coach instead of Gatorade. I think the fans would be more entertained.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same for all three:

Eliminate all instant replay.

After having at least 20 years of data now on two of three (and maybe all three, baseball was late but I don’t track time all that well), what is clear is that even with replay, sometimes you can’t tell. And they don’t always get it right. So I think it is time to chuck it. It’s really just more commercials and longer programming and it ruins the flow and momentum of the actual game being played in many cases.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@perkdog said:
    In the NFL I absolutely would make Pass Interference a blanket 15 yard penalty

I don't like the idea of being able to tackle a guy to prevent a bomb and only get 15 yards. But... that's worth it to get rid of "it's 3rd & 63, fling up an underthrown pass and hope the DB runs into our guy to get a first down" thing.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

I don't like the idea of being able to tackle a guy to prevent a bomb and only get 15 yards. But... that's worth it to get rid of "it's 3rd & 63, fling up an underthrown pass and hope the DB runs into our guy to get a first down" thing.

Ofcourse I agree with you, I guess intentional pass interferences could be spot fouls? It could possibly be ironed out to what a reasonable person would consider intentional or unintentional?

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

Ofcourse I agree with you, I guess intentional pass interferences could be spot fouls? It could possibly be ironed out to what a reasonable person would consider intentional or unintentional?

Challenge flag thrown, 17 minutes later they still can't agree, call on the field upheld.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

@TNP777 said:
    MLB: the team with the worst record in baseball shall be contracted for six years.

You know I was thinking about doing a topic regarding whether a promotion/relegation system (the most famous example I can think of is British soccer) could work in any of the major US sports. Using your idea as an example, the MLB team with the lowest record gets relegated to AAA while the winner of the AAA World Series gets promoted to MLB status in their place.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do away with automatic first downs. 3rd and 63, pass interference 20 yards downfield. 4th and 43. Or if you prefer 3rd and 43.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Do away with automatic first downs. 3rd and 63, pass interference 20 yards downfield. 4th and 43. Or if you prefer 3rd and 43.

Worse is 3rd & 57 and there's defensive holding. 5yds, 1st down. UGH.

My favorite is 1st and 10, offense gets holding. 1st & 20. Defense gets holding. 5 yd penalty. Offense is 5 yards further back than when they started but still at 1st & 10. DOUBLE UGH.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 1:51PM

Eliminate the only rule in MLB that is elective to the leagues. The DH. Make the pitchers bat.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mapleman said:
    Eliminate the only rule in MLB that is elective to the leagues. The DH. Make the pitchers bat.

I agree, I never got the rationale for the DH in the AL, but not the NL. If you have a gorilla bat for the pitcher (DH), vs a wimp that can barely hold a bat, seems to me there is a huge advantage to the AL teams.
    Example...1 out, bases loaded, 9th inning...the AL gorilla hits the grand slam, vs wimp, who grounds into a double play, game ovah.

Agreed, the DH rule diminishes game,IMO. It also eliminates the peril of having to pull a leading pitcher to add some offense late in a game.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

All leagues:
    No player is allowed to make more than the POTUS ($400k/yr?).
    All stadiums are funded by the team owner(s), not the local taxpayers.
    After 3 hours, the game is over, period, until the championship semi-finals.

@mapleman said:

Read a thing yesterday that said multiple GMs are telling people that the NL will have the DH in 2021.

Doesn't surprise me.
    I live in an Atlantic league area. 40% larger bases and computer balls and strikes last season. Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio?
    I saw my first ML game at Ebbets field in the early 50s.
    It's the greatest game ever invented but imho was is now operative to our timeless national pastime.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

(NBA)

if you are whistled for a foul and subsequently bitch about it, it immediately goes to review. if a determination is made that you should've kept your mouth shut all along, you're summarily teed up.

edited February 27, 2020 5:20PM

@galaxy27 said:
    (NBA)

if you are whistled for a foul and subsequently bitch about it, it immediately goes to review. if a determination is made that you should've kept your mouth shut all along, you're summarily teed up.

I've longed for something similar in football. You cry for a pass interference call, you don't get the penalty AND you get 15 yards for your trouble. I HATE seeing guys pantomime throwing a flag.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

NBA --- players can no longer hang on the rim.
    NFL --- keep up with helmet technology but get rid of the face mask.
    MLB --- every Team has a salary cap of $100 million/year, no questions, that's all that are allowed to play.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

Interestingly the two major leagues of Japanese baseball do that whole one league with the DH and one league without the DH as well.

But seriously since 2000 the NL and AL have been leagues in name only (LINO, not to be confused with the Thundercats character) so there's no longer any good reason to do half with DH/half without DH silliness. Please MLB, make it all or nothing. Have everyone play by ONE set of rules just like the other major leagues have done from the start.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

I agree. It would be the "lesser of two evils". I would like to hear about other possible alternative solutions.

edited January 31, 2020 9:55AM

@Estil said:

@TNP777 said:

You know I was thinking about doing a topic regarding whether a promotion/relegation system (the most famous example I can think of is British soccer) could work in any of the major US sports. Using your idea as an example, the MLB team with the lowest record gets relegated to AAA while the winner of the AAA World Series gets promoted to MLB status in their place.

It is very interesting to think about how much more competitive and meaningful games would become if this system was installed. But I do not see how it would work, as it seems like an "apples to oranges" comparison.

Edit to add: I definitely think you should work on this topic and see what you can come up with. I'd be interested in the discussion.

edited January 31, 2020 10:04AM

@MCMLVTopps said:

@mapleman said:

I agree, I never got the rationale for the DH in the AL, but not the NL. If you have a gorilla bat for the pitcher (DH), vs a wimp that can barely hold a bat, seems to me there is a huge advantage to the AL teams.
    Example...1 out, bases loaded, 9th inning...the AL gorilla hits the grand slam, vs wimp, who grounds into a double play, game ovah.

@mapleman said:
    Agreed, the DH rule diminishes game,IMO. It also eliminates the peril of having to pull a leading pitcher to add some offense late in a game.

I agree. It is really like they are playing two different games.

Edit to add: Unfortunately, the only change that I foresee them making is to put the DH into the NL.

@galaxy27 said:
    (NBA)

I like that. I'd like to also include players who think they were fouled but didn't get the call.

@thisistheshow said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@mapleman said:

@mapleman said:

I agree. It is really like they are playing two different games.

Edit to add: Unfortunately, the only change that I foresee them making is to put the DH into the NL.

A good point but I'd much prefer to eliminate the DH altogether.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Batter has to get in and hit, pitcher has to throw the ball.

If the umpires can't make it work put in a clock.

Get rid of Joe Buck.

Should be a WTF guy watching the games and if something totally wrong happens, he can fix it, even if there are no challenges.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

In the NFL, bring back the old intentional grounding rules. And add in spiking the ball at receiver's feet on a screen. And air mailing passes in the end zone. If quarterbacks are going to be protected on a lot of types of hits, they shouldn't be able to throw the ball away.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Baseball

I hate the 3 batter minimum. Do not even consider electronic home plate umpire.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)