Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1934 Washington Quarter Grade + Motto?

What does this Washington Quarter grade? And what motto is it? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@noenhancedproof .... I do not understand the second part of your question....The grade would be low-mid MS...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @noenhancedproof .... I do not understand the second part of your question....The grade would be low-mid MS...Cheers, RickO

I agree?

Ken
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im seeing high AU based on the hair rub but difficult to tell from the images. Could be low MS as well. I believe it is the light motto version too which is the other question you asked.

• Options

I seen on the internet where IGWT is is light or heavy. I agree with @erwindoc

Ken
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:
    I seen on the internet where IGWT is is light or heavy. I agree with @erwindoc

There is also a medium to make it even more interesting/confusing. The weak is the rarest of the 3 the key being the "W" in we and specifically point in the middle.

• Options

@erwindoc said
    There is also a medium to make it even more interesting/confusing. The weak is the rarest of the 3 the key being the "W" in we and specifically point in the middle.

It just took a second to Google it and I came with "Motto". I hadn't read about the rarest one. Weak or Heavy is all that Google said.

Ken
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote Medium Motto, the most common.

Super tough to grade from the pics. Not that the pics are bad.
    AU58-MS65?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to be MS63 at best, and it is a Light Motto variety. The letters on a Medium Motto have better separation between each letter, where as the Light Motto the letters are mushy and almost bleed together.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS Coinfacts is an amazing resource that can be used for all types of research. The image below was taken from it simply by looking up the 1934 WQ and it shows a comparison between the motto types. The coin is a Light Motto, but from the images I can't tell if it is AU or MS.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file