Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any wine drinkers here?

nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2020 1:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Check out this find at a wine store near me this past weekend. Mercury Head Cabernet. Really high star rating, but also really expensive. I couldn't help myself and had to buy it. (Then explain to my wife when I brought it home that this nice wine is NOT for drinking!)

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds yummy!

But, I’ll need to stay away while buying coins. :*

—————

“Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
    A familiar nose of pedigree, the wine opens with aromatics of ripe raspberry, blackcurrant, cigar box and a hint of fresh sandalwood shavings and Herbs de Provence—mysteriously intriguing at first but evolving into a thoroughbred with time and air. Dense and layered on the palate, an immediate note of mixed berry strudel topped with fresh cream, fresh black raspberry and soft tannins akin to baking chocolate transition to a finish of both nuance and concentration. Still young, the wine will continue to evolve gracefully while retaining its luscious quality and classic Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon nature.

100% Cabernet Sauvignon
    15.5% Alc. by volume

Aged for 15 months in French Oak, 51% new”

https://www.orinswift.com/2017MercuryHead

• nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

A familiar nose of pedigree, the wine opens with aromatics of ripe raspberry, blackcurrant, cigar box and a hint of fresh sandalwood shavings and Herbs de Provence—mysteriously intriguing at first but evolving into a thoroughbred with time and air. Dense and layered on the palate, an immediate note of mixed berry strudel topped with fresh cream, fresh black raspberry and soft tannins akin to baking chocolate transition to a finish of both nuance and concentration. Still young, the wine will continue to evolve gracefully while retaining its luscious quality and classic Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon nature.

How do they come up with this stuff? They could become a coin auction cataloger if their wine ventures don't work out...

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised at the 1919. Was expecting to see 194X.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nencoin said:

How do they come up with this stuff? They could become a coin auction cataloger if their wine ventures don't work out...

They start by writing for numismatic auction catalogs ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would have really been cool if the 1919 was the DDO.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 2:01PM

A familiar nose of pedigree, the wine opens with aromatics of ripe raspberry, blackcurrant, cigar box and a hint of fresh....."

Cigar box? Might as well be litter box. That's disgusting.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool bottle. Now, do you keep it in the liquor cabinet or the coin safe?

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 2:10PM

I saw those last summer at a liquor store next to Costco here in TX and posted it on Instagram. They had about 15 or so bottles, and I looked at every one of them. All of the dates were in the '40s, and I checked each 1942 hoping to find a 1 underneath. That's the coin nerd part, and I did not find any.

I didn't buy any of that wine, but have wondered how it was. At the bar minimum, you got a 12x or so face value rebate!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool.

You should’ve bought two of them....one to drink and the other to save. o:)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Dime will end up in a genuwine holder.

Already there.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 2:30PM

2016 was a good year for the grapes, I’ll have to look for that next time I’m at the couple places I hit for the vino.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will see if Total Wine in Tucson carries it. If so, I will report back in a week or so (with an empty bottle, hopefully).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    I will see if Total Wine in Tucson carries it. If so, I will report back in a week or so (with an empty bottle, hopefully).

That's exactly where I found it by me, Total Wine.

If you intend to keep the bottle for a while before opening it, be sure to store it properly--away from heat, and on its side (to keep the cork wet).

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shared a bottle of that one once at a coin show.

@derryb said:
    only the best for me and the missus.

MD 20/20 GOLD Limited Edition? Is this the version that does not make you want to throw up when you only smell it?

@astrorat said:

@nencoin said:

They start by writing for numismatic auction catalogs ...

Hmm. I think JK wrote this 'lot' description. :p

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some winery out there affixes Roman bronze coins to bottles of wine also.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:
    I'm surprised at the 1919. Was expecting to see 194X.

Too bad it wasn't the DDO!

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a rail fan so my choice is

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
    edited January 22, 2020 4:09PM

Someone needs to buy a bottle of that for Charmy.

She @ThePennyLady is our resident wine expert.

@derryb said:
    only the best for me and the missus.

Mad Dog 20/20's King! :D

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many bottles were filled? And do they all display the same date Merc. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe there is a new business model in the making... Not sure how the Buffalo Nickel is going to play into this.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm having flashbacks from the MD, back when there was only one flavor. One of the few wines that has never actually met a grape. Ripple, MD, Thunderbird...

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

A familiar nose of pedigree, the wine opens with aromatics of ripe raspberry, blackcurrant, cigar box and a hint of fresh....."

It's actually a very common descriptor for the bouquet of a Bordeaux or Cabernet. Which doesn't necessarily mean you'd enjoy it, of course. Litter box, or "barnyard" as it's often called by wine drinkers, is a byproduct of the presence of Brettanomyces (AKA "Brett") yeast. Many people actually find it desirable, as well.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

There is a Cigar Box winery Cabernet, it is about $20 a bottle.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. I will have to check out the winery next time I am up there. St. Helena is known for good Cabernet Sauvignon and I find them to be pretty good, depending on year and wine maker of course.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wife wanted to move to St. Helena to be near the hot springs. Then the fires came and she changed her mind. Still like the area. She buys only organic wine. I still like my beer.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    I guess I have to chime in with some information, as they call me WineSteven.
    1. Orin Swift has been making this each vintage since at least 2004, if not earlier.
    2. The current “Release Price” from the winery is $130 per bottle (750 ml). They made 6,000 cases. Magnums are double in size, and are also made, but in a more limited quantity, and sell for about double than single bottle prices.
    3. Like with coins that have TPG’s provide their opinion of grades, which are subjective, and two of the TPG’s have a “better” reputation that others, the same situation exists in the wine world. There are many publications that “rate” wines (almost always on a 100 point scale - Sheldon was not involved, so they don’t use a 70 point scale, lol). Like with coins, wines with very high scores are in high demand, and often sell for a premium over the Release Price. So far, no CAC stickers on wine ratings. The two most recognized pubs for wine ratings are Wine Spectator Magazine, and Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate.
    4. For this particular wine for the 2016 vintage, Wine Spectator gave it 91 points, and The Wine Advocate gave it 95 points, both of which are excellent scores. This vintage should be in several wine stores. The 2017 vintage has recently been released. While no scores have yet been reported by these two publications for 2017, as a generalization, 2017 is not as good a vintage as 2016 due to weather - in California, Oregon, and Washington. So if you’re thinking of buying it to drink, I suggest getting the 2016 vintage.

For someone who likes wine but has no interest in spending over $15-$20 for a bottle (and full disclosure usually spends $4 on yellow tail :) ) - what is most wine peoples go to/what would you recommend?

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilLynott said:

For someone who likes wine but has no interest in spending over $15-$20 for a bottle (and full disclosure usually spends $4 on yellow tail :) ) - what is most wine peoples go to/what would you recommend?

As a generalization, Columbia Crest makes decent wine at low prices ($8 - $12 a bottle). However, just as it’s wrong to assume every raw 1881-S Morgan Dollar is the same grade, it’s also wrong to assume every vintage tastes the same. Some are better than others, and as I noted in my earlier post, try to avoid the 2017 vintage, if possible.

Happy Hunting!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    I guess I have to chime in with some information, as they call me WineSteven.
    1. Orin Swift has been making this each vintage since at least 2004, if not earlier.
    2. The current “Release Price” from the winery is $130 per bottle (750 ml). They made 6,000 cases. Magnums are double in size, and are also made, but in a more limited quantity, and sell for about double than single bottle prices.
    3. Like with coins that have TPG’s provide their opinion of grades, which are subjective, and two of the TPG’s have a “better” reputation that others, the same situation exists in the wine world. There are many publications that “rate” wines (almost always on a 100 point scale - Sheldon was not involved, so they don’t use a 70 point scale, lol). Like with coins, wines with very high scores are in high demand, and often sell for a premium over the Release Price. So far, no CAC stickers on wine ratings. The two most recognized pubs for wine ratings are Wine Spectator Magazine, and Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate.
    4. For this particular wine for the 2016 vintage, Wine Spectator gave it 91 points, and The Wine Advocate gave it 95 points, both of which are excellent scores. This vintage should be in several wine stores. The 2017 vintage has recently been released. While no scores have yet been reported by these two publications for 2017, as a generalization, 2017 is not as good a vintage as 2016 due to weather - in California, Oregon, and Washington. So if you’re thinking of buying it to drink, I suggest getting the 2016 vintage.

Orin Swift’s The Prisoner and Papillon Haven been a staple at the house for years. Guest love these fruit bombs.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited January 22, 2020 7:44PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I had a rough day and Im just about to pour myself a glass of 2005 Quilceda Creek. I collect rare wine and cellar it off site. These I have at home in line for consumption. Drinking part of the collection

If you are a wine drinker get yourself a Coravin. Game changer.

mark

Mark - We have similar tastes. Your 2005 Quilceda Creek Cab (their flagship wine) got 100 points from The Wine Advocate. I’ve drank several bottles of their wine, along with others I see in your cellar - Harlan Estate, etc. When I went to Australia, I went to the Barossa Valley and visited Two Hands winery. I also picked up a few bottles and one magnum of the current 2016 Ramey Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay, which was Wine Spectators 2019 #7 Wine of the Year! I also enjoy Mollydooker’s other wine, “The Velvet Glove”.

Enjoy!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
    edited January 22, 2020 7:51PM

@winesteven said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I had a rough day and Im just about to pour myself a glass of 2005 Quilceda Creek. I collect rare wine and cellar it off site. These I have at home in line for consumption. Drinking part of the collection

If you are a wine drinker get yourself a Coravin. Game changer.

mark

Mark - We have similar tastes. Your 2005 Quilceda Creek Cab (their flagship wine) got 100 points from The Wine Advocate. I’ve drank several bottles of their wine, along with others I see in your cellar - Harlan Estate, etc. When I went to Australia, I went to the Barossa Valley and visited Two Hands winery. I also picked up a few bottles and one magnum of the current Ramey Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay, which was Wine Spectators 2019 #7 Wine of the Year! I also enjoy Mollydooker’s other wine, “The Velvet Glove”.

Enjoy!

You going to be in Long Beach!? I have a a few vertical libraries of Quiceda Creek flagship wines from 2005 to current. Them and Sine Qua Non are my only subscriptions as my locker is busting at the seems

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

You going to be in Long Beach!?

m

Mark - The only shows I go to are the two FUN shows in Orlando. If we ever meet up there, or you come to Palm Beach County in South Florida (east coast), I can make sure we share one of my bottles of Sine Qua Non. :)

@astrorat said:
    I don't know much about wine, but really enjoyed this Bordeaux. Since we live in Texas, we needed to find a good wine to pair with cheeseburgers and tater tots.

That's the second label of Chateau Latour, one of the five First Growths of Bordeaux. Not bad for a cheeseburger wine! ;)

edited January 22, 2020 8:28PM

@CoinJunkie said:

@astrorat said:
    I don't know much about wine, but really enjoyed this Bordeaux. Since we live in Texas, we needed to find a good wine to pair with cheeseburgers and tater tots.

That's the second label of Chateau Latour, one of the five First Growths of Bordeaux. Not bad for a cheeseburger wine! ;)

Indeed. That’s a $200 bottle a wine. Those must be some damn tasty burgers

m

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is Charmy? @ThePennyLady

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like wine. It's for girls.

edited January 22, 2020 9:29PM

Except for quart bottles of RED MOUNTAIN or THUNDERBIRD. That's a man's drink. Unfortunately, the men who drink that can reliably be found the next morning sleeping it off in the local orange grove irrigation ditch. Well, at least they don't have to get out of bed, get dressed, leave home and go to work. They're already there. Dressed and ready.

edited January 22, 2020 9:27PM

Does anyone remember White Mountain Citrus coolers?

They were like a fruity malt liquor.

I got soooo drunk on those, a few times, back in the day. :p:D

They came in bottles and cans.

@Walkerfan said:
    Does anyone remember White Mountain Citrus coolers?

This thread is deteriorating rapidly....... B)

Does anybody around here remember Boon's Farm Strawberry Hill? The four pack? All it took was for that "little something special" to drink three. Then it was off to the races! Oh, God. Youth is wasted on the young!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file