Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay gives out yearly $2000 bonuses ...

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

... broken up quarterly If you play their game :)

Just amazing they still give out this much cash.

What coin or coins would you buy with a free 2 grand?

I was pacing myself this quarter and may end up short $3.01 for this quarter. So I only got 1996.99 for free this year :o

Looking to close that gap today.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 11:30AM

...too bad the quarterly bucks are not rolled over to purchase something big(ger).

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

More like they are giving back my tax on purchases?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:

Dealers pay no sales tax ;)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@DCW said:

The dumb ones still do... ;)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@DCW said:

Nor do GA residents. (on coins and paper money that is)

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@Pedzola said:
    The vast majority of purchases I make generating ebay bucks only make sense because of the bucks. I.e., without the bucks I wouldnt have bought it. So the "bonus" at the end of the quarter isnt a bonus at all... it needs to be put to good use or else those "deals" I got before end up being bad deals instead of good deals! I definitely don't look at the quarterly refund as free money.

I do look at it as free money because I am going to buy the exact same coins anyway.

ebucks promos entice me to make offers on saved BIN's so I can save even more if my offer is accepted.

ebay is just wonderful for business owners as we get so many perks.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

it was kind of strange that there was no e bucks promo on Monday

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's too bad it's capped at $100 per transaction.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Getting closer ;)

• Options

Working on New Year's Eve for an extra 10 cents ..... Dealers work 24/7 365 geez ....

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Working on New Year's Eve for an extra 10 cents ..... Dealers work 24/7 365 geez ....

I'm trying to find a tax write off before midnight. Lol

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 12:48PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

One of my buyers just pushed out their 1K plus payment to 2020 :)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say it amazes me they do allow the coin category. With top rated store owner FVF fees around 5.6% they are subsidizing some of my sales! It works both ways as I usually get to $500 also.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I have to say it amazes me they do allow the coin category. With top rated store owner FVF fees around 5.6% they are subsidizing some of my sales! It works both ways as I usually get to $500 also.

shhhhhh ;)

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how does one get these eBay bucks?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 4:31PM

are eBay bux taxable?

How about credit card reward points?

If either involved post-tax dollars then wouldn't that be double taxation?

My account tells me that dividends from a co-op are taxable

"Those are generally taxable since they effectively reduce the cash paid for feed, seed, fertilizer, rural electricity. You'll likely receive a 1099-PATR and the income is reported on Sch F for farm operations, or Sch E for farm land and pasture rent."

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is this just a function of purchasing preferably when they have their maximum ebucks? So getting $2K in ebucks would mean you bought enough with the maximum ebucks?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    So is this just a function of purchasing preferably when they have their maximum ebucks? So getting $2K in ebucks would mean you bought enough with the maximum ebucks?

Yes you would have to spend at a minimum 20K total during the various promotions throughout the year to earn 2K in ebay bucks

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    are eBay bux taxable?

"Those are generally taxable since they effectively reduce the cash paid for feed, seed, fertilizer, rural electricity. You'll likely receive a 1099-PATR and the income is reported on Sch F for farm operations, or Sch E for farm land and pasture rent."

I seem to remember looking this up during one of the many bucks discussions.
    IIRC the IRS treats bucks and points etc as a discount on original purchase so not taxable.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@logger7 said:

Yes you would have to spend at a minimum 20K total during the various promotions throughout the year to earn 2K in ebay bucks

Ok, I probably spent that much in 2018 but I guess I didn't push the right "buttons".

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    are eBay bux taxable?

They aren’t taxable. Think about this example. You want two $1000 coins. You buy one for $1000 and get $100 in Ebay bucks. The next one you buy for $1000 less those Ebay bucks, or $900 total. All the government cares about is that you paid $1900 for two coins. I’d you sell them at their value of $1000 each, you’ll sell for $2000 and show a $100 profit. That profit is taxed, effectively taxing the Ebay bucks when you sell. If you had bought outright at $2000, you’d have no profit and nothing taxed. Ebay bucks simply shift your coat basis, which only matters when you sell.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2019 6:52PM

@logger7 said:

@coinbuf said:

@logger7 said:

Ok, I probably spent that much in 2018 but I guess I didn't push the right "buttons".

You have to buy at the time of the promotions which are random throughout the quarter, usually each promotion lasts two days so once you are signed up for the program you have to be ready to buy once you receive the offer.

As a side note I find the mindset that many have with this program interesting. I very often read posts where the poster will say "with the ebucks I got this coin for X" when they are buying during the promo timeframe. The problem is that you never save on the purchase where you get the ebuck credit, those ebucks cannot be used until the end of the quarter on a totally separate item. So nobody saves a dime on the qualifying purchase, its the item that's bought later that is discounted.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

Anyone else here ever received a notice you were a Power Buyer? I was hoping that would lead to something but I guess that idea fizzled.

• Options

@bigjpst said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    are eBay bux taxable?

I seem to remember looking this up during one of the many bucks discussions.
    IIRC the IRS treats bucks and points etc as a discount on original purchase so not taxable.

They are just giving you your money back. I assume if they were taxable that you'd get a 1099-something from eBay.

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@logger7 said:

@coinbuf said:

@logger7 said:

You have to buy at the time of the promotions which are random throughout the quarter, usually each promotion lasts two days so once you are signed up for the program you have to be ready to buy once you receive the offer.

As a side note I find the mindset that many have with this program interesting. I very often read posts where the poster will say "with the ebucks I got this coin for X" when they are buying during the promo timeframe. The problem is that you never save on the purchase where you get the ebuck credit, those ebucks cannot be used until the end of the quarter on a totally separate item. So nobody saves a dime on the qualifying purchase, its the item that's bought later that is discounted.

It really makes no difference whether you consider the discount to be on the 1st coin or the 2nd. You got a credit that is "same as cash" on the 1st purchase. The only thing that wouldn't make sense is to consider it a discount on BOTH coins.

What you suggest is that if I buy a washing machine and get $100 cash rebate that I paid full price on the washing machine but saved $100 on the gas I bought with the $100.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2020 11:11PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

They are just giving you your money back. I assume if they were taxable that you'd get a 1099-something from eBay.

I'd say it's taxable. Taxable income does not always require a W-2 or a 1099. Ebay bucks leave a digital paper trail. IRS loves trails.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

What you suggest is that if I buy a washing machine and get $100 cash rebate that I paid full price on the washing machine but saved $100 on the gas I bought with the $100.

That is correct for instance, lets say that you buy a coin during one of the promo times and you receive say $20 in ebucks on that purchase. You now think that you just bought that coin for $20 less, cool. The next qtr arrives and you forget that you have those ebucks and they lapse, in this scenario you have saved nothing because you didn't buy the first coin for $20 less and you didn't make a subsequent purchase to use the rebate. I certainly don't care how anyone goes about applying this in their mind or on their spreadsheet it makes no difference to me its just not how my mind works, for me I apply the savings when I use it not when I accrue it.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That is correct for instance, lets say that you buy a coin during one of the promo times and you receive say $20 in ebucks on that purchase. You now think that you just bought that coin for $20 less, cool. The next qtr arrives and you forget that you have those ebucks and they lapse, in this scenario you have saved nothing because you didn't buy the first coin for $20 less and you didn't make a subsequent purchase to use the rebate. I certainly don't care how anyone goes about applying this in their mind or on their spreadsheet it makes no difference to me its just not how my mind works, for me I apply the savings when I use it not when I accrue it.

As I said, you can look at it either way. Personally, I consider it as 5% on the 1st item and 5% on the second item because of the way I use it. I only buy bullion for an immediate flip. My goal is to lose 2% or less on each transaction which means I make 3% or more on each transaction.

I typically sell the bullion that I buy almost immediately and book the short term loss. Sometimes, thanks to cash back credit cards, it's net zero loss or even a small gain. [By the way, again, you would look at the cash back as a later discount even though I get it immediately?] Then, when the next quarter arrives, I try to do the same thing. Typically, I end up with $350-$400 out of the $500 in actual cash in my pocket.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2020 9:52AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

My goal is to lose 2% or less on each transaction

"My goal is to lose 2% or less on each transaction"

You have odd goals bro ....

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

"My goal is to lose 2% or less on each transaction"

You have odd goals bro ....

LOL. If you do the math, it's the best way to monetize the eBay bucks consistently. As I say, I usually end up with $350-$400 of the $500 eBay bucks in cash (counting my 2% CC cashback). Since I have two accounts, that ends up being $3000 per year in cold, hard cash.

• Options

Hmmm, my strategy is different from yours! The coins I buy when the ebay bucks hit are coins I would buy even without the bucks offer and sell them for a profit. So far I have been able to do the same when I spend the bucks. The only time I did a bullion deal with the ebay bucks I sold the bullion for what I paid for it, banked the ebay bucks and the credit card points!

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

As I said, you can look at it either way. Personally, I consider it as 5% on the 1st item and 5% on the second item because of the way I use it. I only buy bullion for an immediate flip. My goal is to lose 2% or less on each transaction which means I make 3% or more on each transaction.

I typically sell the bullion that I buy almost immediately and book the short term loss. Sometimes, thanks to cash back credit cards, it's net zero loss or even a small gain. [By the way, again, you would look at the cash back as a later discount even though I get it immediately?] Then, when the next quarter arrives, I try to do the same thing. Typically, I end up with $350-$400 out of the $500 in actual cash in my pocket.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Hmmm, my strategy is different from yours! The coins I buy when the ebay bucks hit are coins I would buy even without the bucks offer and sell them for a profit. So far I have been able to do the same when I spend the bucks. The only time I did a bullion deal with the ebay bucks I sold the bullion for what I paid for it, banked the ebay bucks and the credit card points!

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That works also. I just can't consistently find anything to buy that I can flip for a profit other than the bullion. I mean, I occasionally buy something but my time is limited given my day job

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

That is a most unique business strategy lol, I hope it works out for you. As I have an accounting background I see things in a proper accounting method, which is that you don't book a gain until you have one. But as I said everyone is free to do as they wish as long as your tax guy can figure it out correctly its all good.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attention grabbing thread title is all.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why can’t I find the page to sign up :|

The link posted here doesn’t work for me.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

https://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RewardsExtEnroll

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

The eBay bucks I earn each quarter are ALWAYS used to purchase coins the following quarter.

For accounting purposes it really makes no difference if I realize the 10% discount at time of purchase (during the bonus bucks period) or if you if I realize the savings in the following quarter (when redeeming the bonus coupon). The only thing that does matter is that I don't count both. I track mine on the front end but just personal preference. Seems easier for me to track that way.

As for the $2000 bonus, they actually give out $4000, $6000, $8000 etc. if you have multiple accounts earning bucks.

In conclusion, I think we can all agree that it's one hell of a benefit. Shame they exclude bullion and I worry that the day will come soon where they exclude the entire coin category. I certainly hope I am wrong.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@Pnies20 said:

Yeah when I click sign up it’s like that link is dead. It’s my money and I need it now!!!

• Options

I've had a few bucks +free listing offers where the coin category was not included.

@blitzdude said:
    The eBay bucks I earn each quarter are ALWAYS used to purchase coins the following quarter.

For accounting purposes it really makes no difference if I realize the 10% discount at time of purchase (during the bonus bucks period) or if you if I realize the savings in the following quarter (when redeeming the bonus coupon). The only thing that does matter is that I don't count both. I track mine on the front end but just personal preference. Seems easier for me to track that way.

As for the $2000 bonus, they actually give out $4000, $6000, $8000 etc. if you have multiple accounts earning bucks.

In conclusion, I think we can all agree that it's one hell of a benefit. Shame they exclude bullion and I worry that the day will come soon where they exclude the entire coin category. I certainly hope I am wrong.

• Options

Just go to my ebay and you should see a link on the side that says ebay bucks. Follow that and the registration should be at the top. To get the ebay bucks offers I believe you need to go to account settings...preferences and allow email offers,etc.

@Pnies20 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Pnies20 said:

Yeah when I click sign up it’s like that link is dead. It’s my money and I need it now!!!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Just go to my ebay and you should see a link on the side that says ebay bucks. Follow that and the registration should be at the top. To get the ebay bucks offers I believe you need to go to account settings...preferences and allow email offers,etc.

Fixed. Thanks for the help.

• Options

Pnies, welcome to the best coin forum in the world.

You are already making money because of it.

Stay and learn, have fun, and listen closely as some information can lead to profits.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2020 12:51PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I tried not to have my bills and big purchases fall so close to the end of the year as to look suspicious, but in reality, it's just that I couldn't afford mass inventory and bills this size until the end of the 4th quarter.

I've just come to accept that I'll be audited at some point due to the nature of my work, so whatever really, I file accordingly and show all my math with receipts and I subtotal it all etc.

It's probably my lack of understanding on how taxes work, but I always wondered: If a coin dealer has to pay taxes on $5300, what is stopping them from buying a $5300 coin and paying "no taxes"? I gotta be misunderstanding this because it seems way too easy to buy a bag of gold worth your tax burden and just zero out year after year.

• Options

@Pnies20 said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Pnies20 said:

https://pages.ebay.com/rewards/faq.html

• Options

@Azurescens said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I tried not to have my bills and big purchases fall so close to the end of the year as to look suspicious, but in reality, it's just that I couldn't afford mass inventory and bills this size until the end of the 4th quarter.

I've just come to accept that I'll be audited at some point due to the nature of my work, so whatever really, I file accordingly and show all my math with receipts and I subtotal it all etc.

It's probably my lack of understanding on how taxes work, but I always wondered: If a coin dealer has to pay taxes on $5300, what is stopping them from buying a $5300 coin and paying "no taxes"? I gotta be misunderstanding this because it seems way too easy to buy a bag of gold worth your tax burden and just zero out year after year.

Having a $5300 coin in inventory is not a deduction. You would still owe tax on 5300.

• Options

Has anyone bought postage stamps off of eBay and had them taxed?

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Has anyone bought postage stamps off of eBay and had them taxed?

Yes. Last week. In the stamps category. Still less expensive than from USPS.

Always wondered who took the loss. Never seen USPS sell stamps for less than FV.

Must be from estates sales and such.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file