Home U.S. Coin Forum

Show us your first ever PCGS coin!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2019 3:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Do you still have or remember your very first PCGS coin?

Here's mine and I still have it.

Tagged:

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long gone.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 8:16PM

An 1876 Seated Lib Dime in MS66. Bought it in 2001 & sold it in 2006. I just looked back in my records for the cert# to check it out on the cert page and it no longer exists.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't remember the exact coin. It was purchased before 1992. One of the things that first attracted me to PCGS was that the slab was sleeker and not as clunky as the slab offered ATS.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

1974-D Ike PCGS 65. Subtle toning. Keets had it at some point, but it may be long gone because it was a LONG time ago!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sister in 2006. I just sold it this month

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 10:11PM

My first U.S. gold and my first PCGS
    Sold it last year to buy a vary nice 1929 quarter eagle

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long gone as well, although I do remember what it was. It was a 1937 Mercury Dime, in PCGS MS65. It was a meager beginning as far as my graded coins go, for sure, but I wish I still owned it. Loved that little dime!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was a silver eagle I got for joining at the silver membership level. I think it says “collectors club sample” or something similar.

It has milk spots ALL over it, kind of ironic I guess.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 10:34PM

I still have this one........PR66RD CAC

Acquired from Legend quite a few years ago. I have thought about replacing it for a BN or RB example, but RD coins can also have excellent eye appeal, as this one clearly does.

OINK

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably this one - was working on a type set before getting seriously into exclusively FE/IHC's.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019 6:52AM

I don't recall what it was but it's "probably" long gone. Back in those days, a $50 coin seemed to be crazy money to spend on a coin but that's what I probably spent on my first slabbed coins. These days that's what I spend on hotdogs (w/mustard) and snacks at a coin show.

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Don't have a picture handy - but yes I still have it. 1808 CBH VF20 OGH.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I still have it... but cannot remember what it was.... so many slabs now, it is lost in the stacks/boxes/safe and likely will not be identified. Cheers, RickO

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

First one got a 70, I was hooked... B)

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't have a pic or the coin anymore, but it was a PCGS 1909 VDB, MS65BN. My first attempt at sending off for grading and a common coin. Actually I may still have it in a Whitman...I'll have to check.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JGRCJGRC Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

I bought 2 Morgans when PCGS first started grading, an MS64 1881-S for 350.00 and an MS63 1981-CC for 380.00. I thought the 1881-CC should have been graded prooflike so I cracked it out and regraded it. It came back MS64, without prooflike, and was now worth 860.00.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone more than 25 years ago. It was a 1908 No Motto $20 St. Gaudens graded MS63 in an old rattler. I bought it in 1989.

Wish I still had it, like all the other gold pieces I had back then.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long gone, but a group of gold type, sent in when PCGS started business. Hard for a collector to sell raw gold back in the day. Too many counterfeits (or so claimed by potential buyers). Slabbed them & sold them.

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was this one...although it's no longer living in its shell...nor is it living with me.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was probably a peace dollar but it’s long gone.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slightly OT - but what was the first coin PCGS ever graded (cert #1)?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019 3:09PM

It was a Morgan:
    1904 O, 63PL, old greenie

still have it, somewhere

I tried to verify it, but nothing happens.

I know I still have it.

does it matter if I post the cert # here? for someone else to check?

Never mind, I just found out that my computer log only shows 6 digits.
    I guess I'll have to find it to check it out.

Frank

BHNC #203

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

No pic....But I still have it!

1884O Morgan, MS-62, purchased from Teletrade auction in December 1997.

Was dabbling in raw Morgans, and really wanted "no fooling, Mint State" coin for comparison purposes. As now, an 1884O in MS-62 was NOT a huge investment. ;)

Served its purpose, though.....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭

Sent in 19 of these,thinking I'd get some 70"s . All were 69 and 2 were 68 :s ...My picture taking, was about as good as my judgement in what to send in. :)

• SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first coin period. Bought right here on the forum.

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still have it. This is the first coin I'd ever sent to PCGS (through local dealer) in 1991 - came back as VF-30, then re-submitted in 2003 by recommendation of several branch gold enthusiasts who thought it was an easy XF - final result:

Got Crust....y gold?
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlotteDude said:
    Still have it. This is the first coin I'd ever sent to PCGS (through local dealer) in 1991 - came back as VF-30, then re-submitted in 2003 by recommendation of several branch gold enthusiasts who thought it was an easy XF - final result:

Great story! I love the year and the mintmark! It's easy to imagine that's a 1849 California gold rush coin ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file