Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What does a complete circulated war nickel set go for?

Have doubles of 1930s, 1940s wheat pennies I can trade to a couple people that live where I do for at least a few or half of the set. But my goal is to barter with stuff I find and make attractive packages to sell for $ then I can buy a coin or 2 that I think is cool and valuable enough to be PCGS ($100-250)

Comments

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go on the BST board and see if someone over there can help

Ken
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those sets aren't very valuable with completely uncirculated coins, as worn coins are really only worth their bullion value, I'd guess about $10 to $12.

Look around on E-Bay for sold listings.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not too much.

• Options
    Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Those sets aren't very valuable with completely uncirculated coins, as worn coins are really only worth their bullion value, I'd guess about $10 to $12.

I’d be better off just collecting a uncirculated set for it seems wouldn’t i?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maserati27 said:

@DollarAfterDollar said:

I’d be better off just collecting a uncirculated set for it seems wouldn’t i?

Best bet. Get the Unc set. It'll look nice and be a good conversation piece.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The circ. ones are just melt value coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your thinking. though. Trade roll finds oe cheap pickups for silver and then sell the silver. As long as you are on the profitable side of these equations you can do well.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't sell my coins so I can't help... but others here can shed light on your question.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2019 5:18AM

Circulated set in a cheap holder for no more than $15. Uncirculated selling at $50-75. If they are in a good quality holder, such as the hard plastic Capital holders, that can add $20 or so. However, cleaning is a common issue on the uncirculated coins...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a set of circulated war nickels I acquired around nine or ten years ago....$10....in a Capitol holder....I picked it up because it was cheap and I did not have a set in a holder, just loose nickels. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the day, I remember unc sets being a little more valuable. I could generally find them at shows for a hundred bucks and flip them for 115 or 120. I would do a few of those and dinner was on me......

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many circulated war nickels hit the melting pot even before silver coinage ended in 1966, and many more have been melted since then. The 1943-D was preferentially saved due to being the lowest mintage, but it's possible that others like the 1944-S might have fewer total survivors now than the 1950-D.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file