Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should I trade 5x wheat penny, & half pack of Newport 100s for this nickel?

Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
edited December 16, 2019 8:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Pennies are... 1951, 1946-D, 1937-S, 1929, 1932
And this is the nickel I’m being offered. I doubt it’s a perfect grade Bc he didn’t know and well it’s shiny so idc

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

I'll second that no.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

@Texast @hchcoin so this buffalo nickel worth $10-15 tops maybe, or less you guys think?

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

It's been cleaned, very badly at that.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options

Mother...smh and I thought the whole time it was untouched ☹️ Thanks for pointing that out I would never have thought

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cigarettes for a coin, well, I haven’t heard of that.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

It used to happen at coin club back in the early 1970s. There was a bar in the basement too. During the auction, coin club was blue with cigarette smoke.

I was too young, and never smoked anyways...

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will swim against the grain and say it's a good trade. Nickel doesn't look cleaned from your picture so I'd say trading your wheaties and cigs for a buffalo is worth it.

• Options

@Smudge said:

@Hydrant said:

@Smudge said:

Smudge......we're talking NEWPORT 100's here. Those aren't just any old cigarettes. They're...MENTHOL CIGARETTES! MELLOW!
    Obviously you've never done time.

So far I have managed to “get away with it”.

I like speed that’s why I stay focused and find good cons dog

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Buff is suspect... letters appear smushed, etc.

Not worth whatever the transport cost was from the far east.

IMO

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2019 12:00AM

Guess it depends on how high tobacco tax is in your state

Edited to add: applying my states tobacco tax I would only price that buffalo at 2.5 - 3 Newport 100's

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Buffalo Nickel looks cleaned. Don't waste your time or money trying to add problem coins to your collection.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you found the half pack of cigs on the ground, I'd say go for it. If you had to buy them to trade I'd say no.

But interesting barter idea.... Just know the values and maybe you can get some nice trades when he's in withdrawal mode. ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on what ever you do.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@Smudge said:

.we're talking NEWPORT 100's here. Those aren't just any old cigarettes. They're...MENTHOL CIGARETTES!

Very soon to be outlawed in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts became the first state to ban flavored tobacco and nicotine vaping products, including menthol cigarettes, after Republican Gov. Charlie Baker signed into law on Wednesday
    By BY PHILIP MARCELO
    ASSOCIATED PRESS |
    DEC 01, 2019 | 4:30 AM
    | BOSTON

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the Newport’s slabbed???

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Buff looks like the one I found in change a month ago....well, mine was not that shiny.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maserati27 said:

@Smudge said:

@Hydrant said:

@Smudge said:

Smudge......we're talking NEWPORT 100's here. Those aren't just any old cigarettes. They're...MENTHOL CIGARETTES! MELLOW!
    Obviously you've never done time.

So far I have managed to “get away with it”.

I like speed that’s why I stay focused and find good cons dog

Speed kills. But it will keep you busy up to that point.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@Hydrant said:

@Smudge said:

.we're talking NEWPORT 100's here. Those aren't just any old cigarettes. They're...MENTHOL CIGARETTES!

Very soon to be outlawed in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts became the first state to ban flavored tobacco and nicotine vaping products, including menthol cigarettes, after Republican Gov. Charlie Baker signed into law on Wednesday
    By BY PHILIP MARCELO
    ASSOCIATED PRESS |
    DEC 01, 2019 | 4:30 AM
    | BOSTON

Isn't freedom wonderful?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

It's funny how much attention these posts get. Post a PL peace dollar and Im a POS who gets banned.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cigs will kill you. A buffalo nickel won't. Make the trade, and quit buying cigarettes!

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Cigs will kill you. A buffalo nickel won't. Make the trade, and quit buying cigarettes!

Don't be too sure about that.... :D

https://wlos.com/news/health-alert/put-coins-in-bank-not-mouth

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Wait until seller's addiction kicks in. Light it up and take a puff. Make him beg to exchange his coin for your cigarette butt.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd give twenty cents, not a twenty cent piece, for the cleaned buffalo nickel.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

You obviously have not been down range when the smokers run out of cigs, and the C ration came with little 3 packs. One could trade those for all the good stuff, Fruit Cocktail, the John Wayne Bar, etc.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of mom's in my neighborhood smoked Newports when I was a kid. My friends would filch a couple and that's what we had.....I think they came with a coupon in the pack, like Raleigh's. You could trade the coupons for a comb or something.....

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it wasn't for cigarettes the 1955 DDO Lincoln cent may not have made it out of the mint.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably been dipped but I don't see any evidence of it being cleaned.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file