Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

finished

mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Removed because of the impolite and unsolicited feedback from a forum member on our hosts grading abilities regading Canadian coinage.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 9:13AM

I don't know what was said but I know this......

There is a difference when grading Canadian coins when comparing US TPGs and the Canadian company ICCS.

Let me make it clear, one isn't grading incorrectly than the other.

But rather, there is a marked difference based on a few factors which include grading philosophies and range of grading scale and other factors too.

Without getting into specifics regarding the above mentioned points, astute Canadians who are well experienced with both ICCS and let's say PCGS, know the advantages and disadvantages when encountering Canadian coins graded by each company.

Too bad it was said by another member as a criticism, rather what I'm trying to say is it's merely a fact of the way they have chosen to grade Canadian coins.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Agree completely. It staggers me though that after all these years that supposedly experienced collectors don't understand that THEIR grading standards and their accepted national grading standards are NOT PCGS grading standards.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am very tempted to copy the PM I sent you which caused YOU to remove your OP.
    You are twisting the facts to deflect your reason for removing the contents of your OP.

Well, it staggers me when a "experienced" collector is trying to fool the inexperienced younger collectors by pretending something that is far from facts by simply relying on a long time ago achieved grade. Experienced and knowledgeable collectors of Canadian coins are aware of the discrepancies that were apparent amongst TPG's in the USA, especially 15-20 years ago! Even our host is completely aware of this fact. **Please read my original PM to you and try to understand it.
    **Why did you remove your post? Give us one, only one good and factual reason.

mnetsas2 I suggest to you to have this coin re-graded by removing it first from the slab it is in now and sending it back to PCGS as raw for grading!!!!
    Simple, if it still comes back graded as high MS as it is now, or even just MS, you can easily afford the cost for grading and you will have a nice windfall and the grading costs were well spent! and your original post has then and only then some merit! I will then post an apology here and send you a nice graded Canadian coin as a good will gesture.
    BUT, If it comes back as a 58, will you still ask for $ 500 as you did, emphasizing and suggesting that it is a $ 2500 coin graded by our host and your price of 500 is a bargain... or however you worded it.
    just one other question: why did you originally not post the whole slab including all PCGS grading information?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
    edited December 2, 2019 2:49PM

Your ignorance is overwhelming. The coin was graded a month ago.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/38446726

edited December 2, 2019 7:35PM

These are not the images you had posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    post the original pictures and lets see!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Plus, please answer the previous questions!
    Had you posted these images you would have never gotten my response!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may have learned something here from the original post and ensuing discussion, but not now :'(

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

The linked in-slab images look like the same coin that was posted originally, only that the original images were different.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

TomB
    if you have the original images, can YOU please post these?
    they were totally different!! and NOT MS.
    original images had NO luster at all and were circulated.
    so, WHY is the OP not re-posting these to clear up the issue?

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    TomB
    so, WHY is the OP not re-posting these to clear up the issue?

Because there is no issue? I do see.a lack of tact on how this discussion went down, but I think everyone is in agreement about the coin being MS.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't save the original images.

In general, I don't save the original images from many threads, so that is not unusual. Perhaps the original images were produced from a scanner? If so, then the luster would be gone since the way a scanner acquires/produces an image is different to how a digital camera does. Regardless, I searched Google and found a cached version of this page where the original image is posted. I have not posted it to this thread since it is not my coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve bought the coin and excited to receive it soon! 🙂

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Regardless, I searched Google and found a cached version of this page where the original image is posted.

I found the cached version myself and I don't see anything there that makes me think that coin is not the same coin that's linked to later in this thread.

I'll re-post the original image when I am back in the office.

Here's the original image. I know our photos are not perfect but I didn't think they were so bad as to cause such a fuss.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:

No luster/circulated? You think so?

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Certainly looks like a nice BU to me!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a PCGS ms65.

It's also an ICCS ms64.

Doesn't mean PCGS graded it wrong.

There's plenty of examples that go the other way ie., PCGS ms64s that grade ms65 at ICCS.

It all depends on knowing what you're doing.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very subjective series to grade.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice coin Mark.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

@ajaan said:
    Really nice coin Mark.

Thanks Don.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a train wreck of a thread