Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good Luck With Your Sale!

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2019 8:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Nothing bothers me more than when I make an offer and I get a lengthy "Gettysburg Address" type response.

If my offer is really close to a sellers asking price and they go on and on needing a list of extras I loose interest.

This much for shipping, that much for PayPal, and so much just because the sky is blue... Then good luck with your sale!

If the negotiation portion of the deal becomes so complex you'd rather have a root canal it instantly kills any desire to purchase.

Anyone else feel the same?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

It cost you extra time and $ just reading the letter ...... I called it HE for high expectation :s
    Beware .... he might pick on little little things :#

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mostly agree with your sentiments, but cumulatively they are a good reason for the potential seller to add something to his initial asking price, just so he has room to come down.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cash is king, not collectibles. Act accordingly.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2019 9:42AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Yesterday a client offered me $497 for a coin that I had up for $500.

I told them that the coin is $500 with free shipping or $497 plus shipping. The client told to bill for $497.

Seriously, I almost billed $5 for shipping but decided just to bill $2.95 for shipping making the total $499.95. >:)

These "negotiations" took time out of my day. :s

Whew 0.66% seems kinda petty for both parties involved! :#

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Nothing bothers me more than when I make an offer and I get a lengthy "Gettysburg Address" type response.

You could send a complaint to eBay. They offer a recommendation to the seller to provide the buyer with an explanation that supports their counteroffer.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

Here’s something I’ve always wondered about coin negotiations: shouldn’t a buyer’s offer have some kind of reasoning, some justification for asking for a lower price?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Broadstruck said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I told them that the coin is $500 with free shipping or $497 plus shipping. The client told to bill for $497.

Seriously, I almost billed $5 for shipping but decided just to bill $2.95 for shipping making the total $499.95. >:)

The same client questioned me and made me change an invoice on another coin from $775 to what the price on my website was which was $774.97 which was a 3 cent difference :o

Hopefully, he has filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. What kind of fraud are you running? You billed a man $775 for a $774.97 coin...shame on you.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind reasonable offers, but there should be a law about offering to buy it from me for below (or sometimes at) the starting bid if it doesn't sell. Seriously, why don't I just hang a "Please Don't Bid. It'll be cheaper later" tag on all my listings.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2019 12:16PM

@planetsteve said:
    Here’s something I’ve always wondered about coin negotiations: shouldn’t a buyer’s offer have some kind of reasoning, some justification for asking for a lower price?

Since this has happened twice lately...

1.) I made an offer on one item that was going stale with no other interest.

2.) I made an offer to buy the whole collection which the seller was looking to sell separately.

Even if you live your life down to the last penny like EOC, both of my offer had been fair.

Honestly if someone made them to me I would have accepted both without a qualm.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2019 12:16PM

If all they wanted was to feel good over a few cents I would of sold it to them. That’s what I do because I realize along time ago different things make customers feel like they are getting a Deal. A sale is a sale.

Agree

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Broadstruck said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

The same client questioned me and made me change an invoice on another coin from $775 to what the price on my website was which was $774.97 which was a 3 cent difference :o

I would have upped the price on my website to $1,000 and asked him if he still wanted me to price match for him. >:)

People like that are high maintenance and are almost never satisfied. I would cancel the sale and block him for wasting my time.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Hopefully, he has filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. What kind of fraud are you running? You billed a man $775 for a $774.97 coin...shame on you.

There are people that stupid.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I make an offer, just tell me yes or no or a counter offer.... I do not want to hear stories or tales of woe....I do not care about the history or your arthritic knee.... Yes, no, or this is bottom line. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto, yep just accept or don't accept. Not a problem if declined, move on to the next. Exerpt from a recent best offer decline:

**_eBay
    New message from: xxx.xxxxxxxx (821Purple Star)
    I appreciate your interest in the coins I have listed for sale, but I cannot accept your offers to purchase a roll of coins for only $115 per roll. The current melt value of a roll of 90% silver quarters is about $125.00 per roll (I have rounded up.). Ebay and Paypal fees total 12.9%. I am offering free shipping for the coins that I sell. If I sell a roll of quarters for $139.00, I will net less than the melt value of the coins. I am selling a large number of coins that appear to be AU and BU.

If you are looking to buy Washington quarters with better dates, please let me know. I have several rolls from the 1930's through the 1950's that I have not listed for sale yet._**

I feel your pain but sorry, I will not be the one paying your 12.9% in fees......

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

I got in touch with both since posting this mentioning my original offer stands and to contact me even a few months from now should the items get really stale.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file