Home U.S. Coin Forum

1989 LMC , what causes his hair to look like this?

Answers

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hair gel.

• Dove73Dove73 Posts: 81 ✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    It looks like a rather well struck coin.
    What are you seeing that looks unusual?

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its just a really hammered strike from a fresh obv die, the area in front of the ear is the beard but you just don't see that part of the design struck up that fully too often.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • @mannie gray said:
    It looks like a rather well struck SK4s

https://youtu.be/tFQCEFISK4s

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Its just a really hammered strike from a fresh obv die, the area in front of the ear is the beard but you just don't see that part of the design struck up that fully too often.

Yes.
    We are used to seeing coins that are minted in the billions that normally aren't as well struck --- so the details you (@Dove73) are seeing are details that are "supposed" to be there, but usually are not.
    You seem to have a keen eye for detail.....and perhaps have chosen the right hobby in which to display that skill.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the 'fully struck' evaluation.... likely new dies and early strike.....Cheers, RickO

@mannie gray said:

@coinbuf said:

Yes.
    We are used to seeing coins that are minted in the billions that normally aren't as well struck --- so the details you (@Dove73) are seeing are details that are "supposed" to be there, but usually are not.
    You seem to have a keen eye for detail.....and perhaps have chosen the right hobby in which to display that skill.

Thank you Mannie! Ive recently taken a position at our local coin shop. I absolutely love it! So much to learn. I enjoy looking for errors on LWC and LMC .

edited November 11, 2019 8:15AM

@coinbuf said:

Ahh yes! Thank you! I went to pull up pics of the 1987, and now I see on the higest grade ( I believe it was MS 68) you can see this same detail. So does this detail mean it would grade higher then most? I bought a bag of cents from the coin shop i work for, amazed at the coins I have found. These were all pennies they were going to use in their drawer. I even found 3 satin finish 2009 LMC that weigh 3.1. I have 4 vouchers to use and a ton of these unbelievable detailed coins. Is there a particular year you would recommend looking for in higher grades to send in?

I am a Lincoln collector but I don't collect or spend time on the moderns so I'm not the best resource to advise you on cents minted after 1958. As to the coin pictured the pic is somewhat pixilated on my screen, but it seems to have some slight bubbling of the copper layer and some spots which might be a fingerprint. The bubbles are a product of reactions between the zinc and copper layers and if not bad will not affect the grade much. But the darker spots will affect the grade so while a really great strike I think it would grade lower than MS67, and unless it grades MS68 or better it would not be finically worth it to send in as 67's and lower sell for less than the cost to slab.

My Lincoln Registry

• Ive heard the 1966 LMC is hard to find in decent grades. Do you think this one is worth sending in? It does appear a bit more red in hand.

No that is only good for spending.

My Lincoln Registry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file