Home U.S. Coin Forum

Encapsulating an old pcgs encapsulated rattler?

Is it possible to have an old 7 digit pcgs rattler encapsulated and regraded within a new pcgs capsule? Has anyone had this done before? 
I have an old 5c proof that I got from my great-grandpa,(cert# 2076624) it was one of his big investments in 5c pieces. The only graded slabbed coin he had left in his collection before he died. I still have his original receipt from the purchase, there are pictures of the coin and receipt in my showcase set. https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/collectors-showcase/3688 
I want to keep this in my collection to pass on to another generation of collector in 50+ years.

Comments

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019 9:05AM

Wow. Quite a beating from the $815 purchase price in 1989. Given the state of the market, I sort of expect to say the same thing in 20 years about items I've bought this year...

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Wow. Quite a beating from the $815 purchase price in 1989. Given the state of the market, I sort of expect to say the same thing in 20 years about items I've bought this year...

1989/1990 was the big bubble. Just about nything bought during those years is under water. Look at the PCGS 3000 index from then until now. If you want to really laugh, go look at the prices of Classic Commems from that period. They must be down about 80% overall.

@Flackthat said:
    Oh boy, there I go not reading the entire post correctly. I thought you wanted to have the coin regraded, not the "rattler" itself.

This could be the new frontier in grading: slabbing the slabs.

I'll pay $10,000 for a PCGS rattler with a CAC that has the slab certified by PCGS and then CAC'ed again. LOL.

I assume they will be grading the condition of the slab rather than the coin? ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbing a slab.... something that I would not thought of in a hundred years...I would just keep it as is....It has everything it needs plus the family sentiment. Cheers, RickO

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019 11:00AM

I don't know of any grading service that will grade and slab a coin while keeping it in the original slab. You could send it to CAC for grading. If it gets a gold sticker it would be the same as getting an upgrade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019 11:21AM

Why not just send it to CAC and see if it gets a gold thingie?

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

It's coming soon you can bet :* Soon as slab holders come in, they're on order

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbing COAs now, so maybe not a reach.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

They slab GSA holders, so why not?

thefinn
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

Because GSA holders aren’t PCGS holders, so slabbing the former isn’t redundant.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@thefinn said:

Because GSA holders aren’t PCGS holders, so slabbing the former isn’t redundant.

Agree.

It actually makes more sense for NGC to slab PCGS holders. ;)

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me a little of this coin I picked up at auction in 2005.

Dual certified. In a PCGS holder, but also certified by ICCS (a Canadian TPGS) on a separate tag. ICCS was normally a point tougher than PCGS whose packaging was sealed flips a lot like the old David Hall flips.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019 3:16PM

here's the coin.

it looks to me like it is Cam/DCam at least and it isn't unreasonable to believe that it could upgrade from PR64. my hunch is that if it went to CAC it would probably receive a Gold Sticker. a reasonable approach might be to go to a large show and allow some of the better dealers/graders to advise you, maybe even get an opinion at the PCGS table if they still do that. keeping it in the rattler might be nostalgic, but keeping the coin while getting your grandfathers investment back out of it might be a wiser choice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file