Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Paradise Lost November 8th 2018

jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 10, 2019 12:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The camp fire November 8 2018 became more than just another fire out west when it destroyed the town of Paradise CA
To all the lives lost and all the people displaced we remember you in our hearts.
I’ve been given a great honor of looking after one of the artifacts of that fire.
The Buffalo Nickel will always be kept in the almost destroyed holder and will always be cared for.
I wonder if it would fit inside a oversized PCGS holder? I’m trying to think of ways to properly preserve it.

Comments

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Love the old ANA holders but this has meaning WAY beyond the holder. It has quite the story to go with it.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The holders did a pretty good job of protecting the coins.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if that slab can be gently heated enough to then flatten it out somewhat.

peacockcoins

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I wonder if that slab can be gently heated enough to then flatten it out somewhat.

Probably, but I think the "value" is in the presentation. It captures the moment quite well.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly a significant treasure....I would keep it just as it is.... perhaps laminate a document to go with it. Cheers, RickO

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have let my friend, David, talk me out of some of my treasures. I admire his passion for buffalo nickels. He reminds me, of me. He is also a machinist as I was before I retired. That and he has a strong passion for the same US coins series as I have, the mighty buffalo nickel. This is a coin design that screams United States. No matter where or who you are in this world that when this nickel is observed there’s no question it’s from the good ole USA. I don’t believe there was ever any other US coin minted that can make that claim. That and the way the design fills the entire planchet up makes it a piece of art all by itself. The type 1 design is the greatest of them all.
    This 26 that my good friend, David, is showing was a main stay in my collection. As some has mentioned here-It truly is an artifact from that deadly fire that destroyed so many lives and practically wiped, Paradise, California off the map.
    I loved that coin and I still do. I have no doubt that, Dave, will be a great custodian to that coin😊
    Enjoy it my brother, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s got to be faith because we have been talking about this for a while and by the time the transaction was done and the coin shipped months had passed. I received it on the one year anniversary of the fire. I didn’t even realize it until I read the news that morning. I checked the shipping site and the coin was out for delivery. Like I was saying I’m very honored and I’ve got a great mentor and friend,
    Thanks brother Joe

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

The holder is done crack it out and be glad the coin looks ok

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    The holder is done crack it out andbe glad the coin looks ok

The coin, in that holder, has very special meaning, as is.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file