Home U.S. Coin Forum

Former Redbook Editor victim of burglary Edited: partial list of items taken

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 6, 2019 10:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Please keep an eye out for this material

Residential Burglary

Colorado Springs, CO police department is investigating the residential burglary of Professional Numismatist Ken Bressett. The offense occurred on 11/2/2019.

The following is a partial listing of stolen items:

Nice foreign from China, Japan,India and Spanish America
Approximately 20 Sycee silver pieces
Several very rare Chinese dollars
Beautiful Auto Dollar
Awards with the victims name inscribed
Items with the name R.S. Yoeman
Large amount of gold rings, chains and earrings

Anyone with information contact:

Doug Davis
817-723-7231
Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Numismatic Crime Information Center

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any details on the coins listed anywhere? Like denominations/slab numbers etc? I hate to think such nice coins are lost.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's to bad. he lost some good stuff. hang em high when they catch em

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you are able to add more specifics.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard from Ken, and yes, this did happen.

Thankfully, he was not at home when it happened

Frank

BHNC #203

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad everyone is safe.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

Good to know. I was hoping someone would hear from him first hand.

If he has any photos or other information on the coins it would be helpful. If not, the seller may still have photos for reference.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad. I hope we can keep this on topic.
    Lance.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Tom. Please keep us in the loop as details become available

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Treashunt said:

Good to know. I was hoping someone would hear from him first hand.

If he has any photos or other information on the coins it would be helpful. If not, the seller may still have photos for reference.

I asked him for any info available

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is terrible.... I hope his coins etc. are recovered....and the thieves are captured.....I have no idea what his security was, but I bet it gets better now....Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

In an email from Ken:

To All:

Please be suspicious of anyone inquiring about Chinese coins. Here is a list of some of the easily identifiable items. Thanks for your help. ---Ken

Several pieces of spade, knife, Key and other early types.

Approximately 20 sycee, various sizes and shapes.

1923 P’u Yi marriage dollar. Uncirculated.

1928 Kweichow Province automobile dollar EF.

1934 Communist dollar. AU.

1943 Yunnan-Burma Tael.

25 or more Blue Whitman coin boxes, each containing about 60 Chinese cash coins all in individual envelopes and identified with Schjöth numbers. Values range from about $3 to $500 + each.

30 pieces of multiple copper square-hole cash.

Several Whitman boxes of coins from Japan, India, Korea, Annam and other place.

Type set of Fractional Currency. Mostly CU condition.

U. S. Type set of various coins 1c to 50c. Many EF-AU. 1820 1c Unc, 1854 ½ c Unc., 1794 cent, etc. Some fractional gold; hobo 5c by Ron Landis; Admiral Vernon medals; Love tokens.

1976 Uncirculated Canadian Olympic coins, missing the $5.00 Javelin coin that was left behind.

Gold Bulova watch c.1945 vintage.

Gold chain with ancient Byzantine bronze cross.

Three large gold man’s rings set with ancient carnelian seal-stones.

Various items of ladies’ jewelry, earrings, bracelets, etc.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info @CaptHenway.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for posting the descriptions, Tom.

Had dinner with Ken and his son Phil last night. Ken said that the loss was severe, but he is OK and will survive. Most of his stuff was in the safety deposit box, and this was just stuff he was working on.

Sounds like the people were specifically looking for coins. The house was thoroughly ransacked, but the liquor cabinet was untouched. They came in for quite a while during the day when he was out for three hours, which makes me wonder if they were watching the house waiting for him to leave.

edited November 7, 2019 2:34PM

Attached are some images of pieces that were stolen.

Attached are some more images of pieces that were stolen.

Attached are some images of pieces that were stolen:

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

So sorry.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, if they were anything like the ones that hit my friend's house, the silver and gold was being melted before the van was a block away. They had pots in the van to melt down the metals, not traceable at that point.

Here is an image of Ken's handwriting on a 2x2 envelope that was not taken. Style may vary somewhat.

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for keeping this updated

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

I met Ken and him him sign a book a few years ago at the Central States Show. He is such a nice person and it saddens me to hear that he has become a victim of burglary. I am happy to hear he is safe and hope the perps are collared. Hopefully someone had a camera to capture the crime.

Bump for the weekend

ttt

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a pisser. I hope he gets everything back in good time

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:
    Sadly, if they were anything like the ones that hit my friend's house, the silver and gold was being melted before the van was a block away. They had pots in the van to melt down the metals, not traceable at that point.

:/

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awful (and an understatement). At least nobody was hurt.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

He is OK.

• DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

You don't want this to happen to anyone but Ken is an exceptional gentleman. He has taught me so much and looks and acts way younger than his years. I am glad that he was not hurt.

Bump

Bump for the new year

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file