Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Medallic Artist openings at the US Mint

NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

For anyone interested, or know of someone qualified. Two openings with applications closing 11-18-19, at different skill levels. Design and Engraving Division, US Mint Philadelphia:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/550721300

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were younger..... Oh, wait...one would have to have talent and skills in that field.... :D Never mind....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

They need help.......

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    If I were younger..... Oh, wait...one would have to have talent and skills in that field.... :D Never mind....Cheers, RickO

Judging by the new stuff, I'd say artistic talent would be a DISqualifier.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

This needs to be sent to places where some great candidates will see it. Where that is, I don't know.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr ?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70:

This needs to be sent to places where some great candidates will see it. Where that is, I don't know.

I have submitted the notice to the editor of E-Sylum, it will be published today to over 6,000 subscribers. Chief Engraver Joe Menna had asked for the notice of US Mint openings to be shared.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    @dcarr ?

Thanks for the endorsement (assuming that is what it was).

I already get to do pretty much what I want, and I don't really want to relocate to Philadelphia.
    I probably would apply if I could work remotely, or possibly at the Denver Mint facility.

I think the Mint should conduct more design competitions where a requirement of the entry is a completed 3D sculpture (physical or digital) of the design. They did that for the WW1 commemorative dollar, but that has been the only one in modern times. I think that it is of limited use to evaluate pencil drawings for use on coins and medals when they often have soft shading (shadows) that can not be replicated in relief sculpture.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file