Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who is this Ebay seller and why is it OK to sell unmarked copies?

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 20, 2019 11:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-FIVE-TALLAHASSEE-RAIL-ROAD-COMPANY-REPRODUCTION-SHEETS/382796520069?hash=item5920735a85:g:28sAAOSwnHZYelia:sc:USPSPriorityMailLegalFlatRateEnvelope!12582!US!-1

These copies are a big problem as they are unmarked and are currently being cut and sold individually. All of this guys coins and other currency appear genuine, so why be the source for other sellers of unmarked currency copies? Isn't this guy being our own domestic "Chinese counterfeit problem"?

He states his expertise by claiming more than 40 years experience selling coins, yet he "was told" that these are copies from the 1980s, implying that they could have been made before the Hobby Protection Act. They were not. They are modern. If you have 40+ years experience, you should know that your greed is causing other collectors to be ripped off. Why be legit on all of your other items but try to make a couple of extra bucks by ripping collectors off?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bay link is poofed.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn...now I missed it.... We need screen shots for when the listing is taken down... It helps all to learn... Cheers, RickO

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect ocean liner memorabilia, specifically the Lusitania. There is a seller on eBay right now who is selling copies of menus, tickets, and other ephemera, printed on period paper with nothing to indicate it's a copy. He says so in his listing, but why do this? Even if you specify what it is in the listing, it's going to mislead or be used to mislead someone down the line.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that's the point. These are destined to be sold and resold, cheating many collectors.

The guy's ID is coinguy99. And yes, I saved images. These are the modern copies. There are also older copies on aged paper.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
    edited February 20, 2019 6:06PM

And the genuine ones for comparison. Genuine notes are sharper, more detailed and the green is vibrant, not dull.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the copies printed using a modern laser printer (tiny dots), or were they printed intaglio (from engraved plates) ?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads-up !!! :)

Timbuk3
    edited February 21, 2019 7:14AM

They are not intaglio printed, like the originals, and therefore lack the finely engraved detail.

The older copies were lithographed and I suspect that the new ones were, too, although I have only seen scans of the newer ones. They lack the detail and are off color, just like the older copies.

Similar copies were made of other obsolete sheets, too. Beware of 1872 State of South Carolina notes without the red serial numbers. They are copies, too. Can you see the difference between the original and the copy below?

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you posted a copy of the EBay page you would note that he did say 'reproduction' in the article title. I saw it.

@AlexinPA said:
    If you posted a copy of the EBay page you would note that he did say 'reproduction' in the article title. I saw it.

Correct.

But when you are selling them in groups (he listed a lot of ten), you are selling to people who are reselling these and might "forget" to mention that they are copies. This is the point of the Hobby Protection Act requiring copies to be marked "COPY".

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed it all.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

rectangular coins?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:

@AlexinPA said:

Correct.

But when you are selling them in groups (he listed a lot of ten), you are selling to people who are reselling these and might "forget" to mention that they are copies. This is the point of the Hobby Protection Act requiring copies to be marked "COPY".

Copies of notes do not have to say copy on them as long as the back is blank they are okay....I'm too late to this thread to see what it was.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

The notes are still pictured. They are the Florida and South Carolina notes in the pictures just a few posts back.

It was an Ebay coin guy selling copies of obsolete notes as genuine for a little extra income and in clear violation of the HPA. It was close to a year ago and I forgot who it was but thought that this would be an appreciated heads up on this seller.

Hope that this clears up the confusion over a zombie thread.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file