Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone seen the new gaskets in the slabs?

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just noticed this on my friend’s two latest submissions. They seem to have both types right now, I can imagine they’re using up the old ones and eventually they’ll all be the new type before long...

FWIW I really like the look of the new ones!

Old (with the channel in it)

And the new ones without the channel:

They look a lot cleaner in a way.

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cleaner.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks neater as well

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland Thank you for bringing the change to our attention! Much better than being surprised later.

I just got a coin back yesterday and didn't even bother to look at it. Now I have to dig it out, out of curiosity.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

And easier to manufacture by the looks of it.
    This might sound silly, but I wonder if someone misinterpreted the drawing(or the drawing wasn't specific) for the first ones and that's why the groove went around the entire cut out profile rather than just where it holds the coin. Injection mold tooling is very expensive so could have just gone with it since it was still functional.

Collector, occasional seller

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will make taking pictures a bit nicer.

Ws

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look - much cleaner. :+1:

This is a prototype that would have been interesting if used in production......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D:D:D

I suspect that's why you've not seen it in production.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it didn't have the circles cut out, it would not be that bad. The rounded edges don't bother me, but the circles cut out are a bit too much.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2019 7:23PM

@Lakesammman said:

This is a prototype that would have been interesting if used in production......

I don't like the circles one, but the gasket encroaches on the coin less than the current pronged gasket does. The circles act as springs holding the coin in place. Good idea functionally, but not aesthetically.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 10:30AM

No.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I just noticed this on my friend’s two latest submissions. They seem to have both types right now, I can imagine they’re using up the old ones and eventually they’ll all be the new type before long...

FWIW I really like the look of the new ones!

Old (with the channel in it)

And the new ones without the channel:

They look a lot cleaner in a way.

Agree.

Thanks for posting this slab change.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

New ones are better IMO.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like the look of the new ones.... I would not get coins re-holdered, but they do look (as mentioned above) 'cleaner' .....Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 12:32PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    I don't even like the PRONG and wish it was still just the plain round gasket.

Agree, no need to view the edge unless there is something on the edge. Hopefully many years from now it will not be discovered that these "pronged" gaskets shrink over time releasing the coin.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how many fingerprints those would have caused coins to get!

@messydesk said:

@Lakesammman said:

I don't like the circles one, but the gasket encroaches on the coin less than the current pronged gasket does. The circles act as springs holding the coin in place. Good idea functionally, but not aesthetically.

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

I like the rounded edges on the slab but those extra circles completely take over the look. Less is more. Take the coin out of those circle designs and it looks like a pattern for crop circles.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

That fidget-spinner slab is the WORST THING EVER!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 2:00PM

@Lakesammman said:

This let’s you see an amazing amount of the edge! It would take some getting used to but I would love to see that much of the edge!

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm old school, and I admit to not liking the prong holders initially. But after shooting thousands of them and dealing with edge visibility I've come full circle.

The old gaskets may have appeared more esthetic. But they obscured more of the rim on both sides as well as the entire 3rd side.

I love the new gaskets. Now, PCGS, please insert the coin so it's flat, not tilted.
    Lance.

Pre-prong:

Prong:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file