Home Precious Metals

Old School MeTaL pÖrN! Who got something new this week?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've picked up a few basic pieces in the last couple of weeks. Nothing interesting until Monday, when I was buying a group of silver items and the seller asked if I wanted these. He knew the blades were steel and the handles didn't weigh much, so he threw them in on the lot for free.

They are Victorian scissors, probably more properly called "grape shears". When fruit was served at a nice meal, it was considered gauche to just tear off a bunch of grapes from the larger bunch. You were expected to use shears to cut the section you wanted. That's probably what these were designed after, though I suspect in reality they were also just kind of nicer household scissors. The Æsop's Fable about the fox and the sour grapes seems to be the theme of the design and that would be appropriate for grape shears.

I didn't look too hard, but I couldn't find an exact match. If anyone wants to give it a shot ( @asheland ), feel free:
International Silver Co.
Germany
Marked "STERLING 254", which is likely the model or pattern number.

Still very sharp and usable. Thought they were pretty cool for free. What'd you get this week?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not familiar with that pattern, but it's really nice!

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that little cup with the scissors where they spat the seeds?

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up some circulated Morgans @ $17.50 ea. and a Peace dollar @ $16.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up a magnifying glass with some silver trim...will show it when I get back. Cheers, RickO

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like those scissors. Do you know how much silver is in them?

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2019 7:40PM

@thisistheshow said:
    I really like those scissors. Do you know how much silver is in them?

Really hard to say. Ordinarily "hollow ware" like this is filled with plaster or resin and the skin itself is quite thin. But I don't think that's the case with these. I think it's a thicker, though still hollow, form made of sterling silver. I don't think the depth of the design could work with the typical foil-thin sterling candlesticks and knife handles are made of. The handles benefit from the steel scissor tangs(?), which probably insert pretty deep into them. Even so, I doubt it would total an ounce. And wouldn't be surprised if it was considerably less.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    I've picked up a few basic pieces in the last couple of weeks. Nothing interesting until Monday, when I was buying a group of silver items and the seller asked if I wanted these. He knew the blades were steel and the handles didn't weigh much, so he threw them in on the lot for free.

They are Victorian scissors, probably more properly called "grape shears". When fruit was served at a nice meal, it was considered gauche to just tear off a bunch of grapes from the larger bunch. You were expected to use shears to cut the section you wanted. That's probably what these were designed after, though I suspect in reality they were also just kind of nicer household scissors. The Æsop's Fable about the fox and the sour grapes seems to be the theme of the design and that would be appropriate for grape shears.

I didn't look too hard, but I couldn't find an exact match. If anyone wants to give it a shot ( @asheland ), feel free:
    International Silver Co.
    Germany
    Marked "STERLING 254", which is likely the model or pattern number.

Still very sharp and usable. Thought they were pretty cool for free. What'd you get this week?

Grape acquisition!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

@cmanbb.....I like that gold bar....I have not seen many of those... a few here on the forum, and never when I used to go to coin shows. Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got some more 90% junk yesterday. Just when I thought it's running out, more pours in. And today a seller is coming with more. And why , when it falls, do so many sell ? I don't understand this. Back up that truck.

@TwoSides2aCoin....this is the perennial pattern....price plummets and people sell, price moves up, they buy....Cheers, RickO

@zubie that’s a nice collection!

@Zubie said:
    Haven't been on here in awhile since my new vice...vintage poured bars...

That's an awesome collection and picture!

@Zubie....Wow...not that is a great collection of silver bars....collector value and silver value....Cheers, RickO

Wow that s a nice collection

@Zubie said:
    The bad thing is....that was a picture from a couple months ago!!!

And this is from last month....aaaahhhh!!!!

:o

@Zubie any chance you could post a close up of the Colonial 10oz? I didn't know they made them. I have the matching 100oz

Only the front bar is mine, the others (all the same) are my friend’s:

@Zubie That's awesome!!!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2019 4:23PM

Added a few things to the travel pile of entertainment metals. Will keep 1, the other 2 go out on friends/family refrigerator missions.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zubie,

Simply awesome collection. It exceeds any accolades that I could bestow.
    I feel that a high resolution image of your updated bar collection would be, at least in my opinion, poster worthy for any pm aficionados man cave.

Well done!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

the first, done up better, would make a good background image on a computer.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@DrBuster....Could you explain more about those Cayman Island bars? Thank you, Cheers, RickO

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @DrBuster....Could you explain more about those Cayman Island bars? Thank you, Cheers, RickO

Oh, not bars, they're magnet bottle openers, ha. Sorry for the confusion. I get some every trip, the fridge is covered in them from our voyages.

Picked this up at a estate sale a while back for a dollar. Got any ides what it’s for??? Im stumped. It’s marked 800 and I did do an acid test to confirm that. The only thing it will be doing is siting on my desk with some silver coins in it until I can figure out what it is....

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a candy dish,, cool!

It's all about what the people want...

@LukeMarshall said:
    Looks like a candy dish,, cool!

It’s really small.........

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much does it weight?
    Maybe its for holy water?

It's all about what the people want...

@LukeMarshall said:
    How much does it weight?
    Maybe its for holy water?

24 grams
    here’s a size comparison

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the glass is correctly positioned inside the cup.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    I'm guessing the glass is correctly positioned inside the cup.

I would think outside because it feels like it fits better that way. And the cut design would show better......

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2019 3:22PM

Dang Zubie's been busy....
    A-mark has a few more varieties of that C. RHYNE type bar.
    On a side note,
    You could fit in an AARO bar in the upper right corner without too much trouble :)
    The better half thought it a good idea to just pick up the PM's off the ground to save money :D
    So she wrangled up a 20 acre claim of prime desert.

@rte592....Interesting map....what state? Should be fun panning or digging....Cheers, RickO

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @rte592....Interesting map....what state? Should be fun panning or digging....Cheers, RickO

It says Arizona.

@topstuf.....Duh.... sorry.... was not concentrating this morning....traveled all day yesterday and still groggy. Thanks for pointing that out...Cheers, RickO

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2019 7:34PM

@ricko said:

It's got a few spots that peaked our interest.
    Next time out were going to be sampling more of this old riverbed wall.

I'm wondering if I could get a time line on when this material was deposited and how close it was to the valcano eruption.