Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Doubled die obverse and reverse?

Hello,I was at my local bank the other day chatting with the teller when a lady came to the cashier window ,pulled out of her pockets about 2 hand fulls of shield pennies and a deposit slip,she counted them and said" I hate this weird cents with letter that make me cross my eyes" my friend left them aside and noded her head when the lady left,as I approached to continue our conversation I noticed about 50 cents were doubled,I don't really like shield pennies but I think most of them
are in both sides not just one,so is it doubled in both sides?

Answers

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than blurry pics they are common cents... :D

I’d say go buy a candy bar, but, I don’t think there is any for 50 cents.

Currently known DDO 2019-D, http://varietyvista.com/01e LC Doubled Dies Vol 5/DDOs 2019-D cent.htm

• Options

My bad I forgot I have a really good vision and to minimize the pictures,I say is better to stay away from candy bars,they can give you diabetes and diabetes can turn people blind ... I have been reading and learning, that's is why is easier for me to spot them,but Is always good to have other to confirm.
    They are doubled die both sides based on the few examples.if there is no known examples of both sides,I guess I just find some

Can you guys see it now or still too much glare?how many candy bars can I buy if they are what irhink they are?😆🤔

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears there may be some machine doubling or die erosion....Definitely not DD's....no numismatic value. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps she lost her readers and would prefer the pre-1858 cents with large type. All I see is that you're 50c closer to getting that candy bar.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

For starters, can you explain to us what Machine Doubling is, and how to tell the difference?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Perhaps she lost her readers and would prefer the pre-1858 cents with large type. All I see is that you're 50c closer to getting that candy bar.

he doesn't eat candy. It affects his (double) vision.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Artifacts that look like doubling are WAAAAAAY too common on plated cents. Besides the usual machine doubling and die erosion, you get shadowing effects from what appears to be some kind of shift in the plating layer. [I don't know what to call it, just seems more prevalent in these cents.]

I'm beginning to wish people would just collect U.S. classic type coins.

• Options

Even if they match the pictures from variety Vista they are not ? What should I look for to be sure it is?
    And what this supposed to be called mint error, variety? I'm sure this is not after damage.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the high points of the letters are thinner than normal, what does that tell you???

But you could always pony up the cash and send it in for authentication if you think the members here can't recognize an error.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Machine doubling scrapes the edges of the letter and makes them thinner,I do think the member here know way more than me,that is why I asked and I appreciate the time and knowledge shared.
    Let me take a step back before I post more different ones and say thank you everyone for the help and advice,i know you guys could use your time for anything else but yet use it to show me when I'm wrong and share tools for me to get better,I deeply appreciate it.
    I've been posting different pictures for different coins,I realize that is just making this more confusing. the last two picture of the dates are not the same as the first ones. I'll do one at the time but now the ones I haven't posted.i will discard the previous ones already confirmed not minted with a doubled die.

• Options
    InfamustrueerrorsInfamustrueerrors Posts: 99
    edited October 18, 2019 11:50PM

This is a different one,these 4 pictures are for only one coin,I see doubling as a "white shadow"next to the numbers,the die cracks or those metal bumps match the ones from example pictures,the numbers are wider ,did I get this rigbt?

• Options
    mynamespatmynamespat Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    Sorry, but I don't see anything.

Don't forget, since the mid 2000s, the Mint produces all of their dies using a single squeeze process. That means Doubled dies like the 1955, 1969-S, 1972, and 1995 can no longer be produced (there is a class of die doubling recognized for the single squeeze process, but it looks diff than the classic doubled dies). Also, do you understand how incredibly unlikely it would be to have a an obverse doubled die randomly paired with a reverse doubled die? I know of no coin that exhibits doubling on both dies (Maybe one of the error/variety experts can correct this if they know of one).
    Once again, I strongly recommend taking the time to study the minting and die making process.

100% There are varieties that are doubled on both the obverse and reverse. Like playing hold'em, eventually both cards will be aces given enough hands.

Mechanical/Strike doubling is also the #2 misattributed not-a-collectible coin behind road rash.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file