Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1795 Liberty Cap Cohen1b half cent [thin planchet 86.2 grains , lettered edge]

coinloverjoncoinloverjon Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
edited September 26, 2019 2:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a 1795, Liberty Cap,, C1b, half cent, thin planchet, lettered edge, weighing in at 86.2 grains. It has the Reverse A and the Cohen 1 Obverse, although the date is weak, [7 and 9 visible at the right lighting but the 5 is smeared] Also, it it the only 1795 thin planchet, with a lettered edge. Anyone out there have info on it's rarity and value? Jon

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinloverjon....Welcome aboard... I can not offer any help, however, we have experts here who will be along shortly.. though I believe they will request a picture. Good luck...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2019 5:12AM

Standard references do not show "a" and "b" versions of the 1795 C-1, just C-2, 5 and 6. Have you measured the thickness of the planchet for reference?

• Options

I am posting a page from the old Coin Facts site where a 1795 C1b was listed as a designation and the weigh is within 1.5 grains of mine. Jon

• Options

This one was sold almost 20 years ago. I am looking to find a more recent sale for pricing and a list somewhere as to rarity R5,R6 R7???? Jon

• Options

OK, who is "truskeyfarm" and when did Cohen add the "1b? This is an opportunity to learn!

• Options

truskeyfarm is my email address and I downloaded this page from the old CoinFacts site back in 2014. This page led me on my search to find one of these half cents and I finally did this year. This is the only reference I have found on the internet to an actual C1b designation . This is why I am reaching out to others for more information they might have on this seemingly elusive coin. Thanks for any input you might have, Jon

• Options

Very cool Jon! My friend and half cent expert is very interested in it. He has a Face Book page dedicated to the study of US half cents- I have sent you a PM.

• Options

Sorry I don't know what a PM is? Jon

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinloverjon said:

Private Message

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2019 5:27AM

@2dueces said:

@coinloverjon said:

Private Message

You will see it under your "Inbox" here coinloverjon.

• Options
    coinloverjoncoinloverjon Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2019 3:49PM

The coin is .062 inches or 1.60 mm thick. The edge lettering hangs off the edges like in the description above.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were 3 consecutively sold in this Goldberg September 2011 auction, all described as C-1 "Thin Planchet with Lettered Edge". No mention of C-1b. They sold for prices ranging from $483 to $1,898.

Table of contents:

images.goldbergauctions.com/php/toc_auc.php?site=1&lang=1&sale=65

Half Cent page with the three:

images.goldbergauctions.com/php/chap_auc.php?site=1&lang=1&sale=65&chapter=2&page=1

The first lot listing of the three:

images.goldbergauctions.com/php/lot_auc.php?site=1&sale=65&lot=121&lang=1

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

Thank you so much for the above examples. The R7+ rarity is one thing I was trying to determine. Jon

• Options

This is a coin like mine. on a light weight planchet. It sold at the Sept. 2011 Goldberg Auction.
    Sold $1898.00.
    Thank you WinLoseWin for the links
    Three others were for sale also, all over 90 grains [96.6, 95.9 and 91.9] ,
    Mine is 86.2 [closer to the light weight 84 grain standard] . This one pictured is 77.2.

Lot 121
    ********1795 C-1 R7+ Lettered Edge G5. Thin Planchet with Lettered Edge******. **
    Glossy dark olive brown with medium brown highpoints creating an attractive two-tone appearance. The only notable defects are a few shallow pitmarks in the wreath at NI in UNITED. The date is strong and the legends are clear except for HALF CENT, which is only partially visible. EDS, Manley state 1.0. Struck slightly off center to K-9 on a thin planchet weighing only 77.2 grains (against the standard weight of 104 grains).
    **** Only three lightweight examples are known to this cataloger (although I suspect others may exist), and this piece is the lightest of that small group**** (all of which are in this sale).
    Similar to the thin planchet 1794 C-9 examples offered earlier in this sale. According to Manley, only three die varieties of lettered edge half cents are known struck on seriously underweight planchets weighing at or near the 84.0-grain standard authorized in January 1796. They are 1794 C-9, 1795 C-1, and 1795 C-2a. Lightweight examples of all three varieties are represented in this sale. Weight 77.8 grains. Davy #95.1b.3.
    Estimated Value $600-UP.
    Ex Joseph Brobston, Stack�s FPL 1/1963-Roger S. Cohen, Jr., Superior 2/2/1992:42.
    View details and enlarged photos

Rarity 7+ [4 to 6 known]

• Options

The Sept. 2, 2012 Goldberg auction lists a 1795 C1a and a C1c Half Cent.
    But I have never seen a 1795 thin planchet, lettered edge, like mine, listed as a C1b, except on the old Coin Facts page above.
    If there is an 'a' and a 'c' surely there is a 'b'. correct??? Jon

1795 C-1a R2 Lettered Edge G4
    Sale has ended!
    Winning Bid
    $240

1795 C-1c R8 Thin Planchet with Plain Edge AG3
    Sale has ended!
    Winning Bid
    $2,600

• Options

Another very rare but very worn half cent for your viewing pleasure.
    A 1795 Cohen 2b thin planchet 66.8 grains.
    Rarity 6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file