Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Picked Up A Legend— Ted Signs For ‘59!

Like many of you, I’ve collected baseball cards since what seems like the dawn of time (actually started in 1978). Growing up, one of the fascinating cards was the 59 Fleer Ted Williams “Ted Signs for 59.” As a boy, it was much talked about and it became one of those “wouldn’t it be cool to own one” thoughts.

Fast forward decades later and a few years ago, I pick up some nice raw 59 Fleer Williams cards. I get them graded and hit a few 9s. Recently, I started thinking “well I already have a good start on this set, might as well start it.” My goal was an 8 set with thoughts of picking up a “Signs in 59” card sat down the road in a low level collector grade.

Fast forward after that and I see one for sale that seems to be a reasonable price on eBay. I bid and win! It’s now in hand:

Centering is gorgeous and I am stoked as I never thought I would own one. I wish my grandfather was still alive as he would have been the first one I shared this with.

I’m still smiling!

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 1:18PM

Awesome card! Really nice centering and corners. Congrats! I have always loved the story about Ted signs and the ‘54 Bowman SP. I have not added either yet to my collection but hope to someday. Agree on always taking notice when I saw one at a card show growing up.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

SWEET!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup! Now you can rock n roll all night and party every day! ;)

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, congrats man! That card was a whale for me too for a few years until I finally landed a PSA Authentic. Yours is truly gorgeous! Congrats of the highest order!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2019 2:08PM

What is the story with card #68, Ted Signs for 1959?

Pop report on PSA does not exemplify from the data that it would be rare at all, as there are double the examples graded as other cards in the set.

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

Pop report on PSA does not exemplify from the data that it would be rare at all, as there are double the examples graded as other cards in the set.

As I understand, it was pulled from the production run as there was a contract dispute related to Ted's 59 contract (suggesting, of course, that perhaps Ted really did not sign in '59). I understand that once it was pulled, it never made it back into the packs.

I too was surprised by the population report; thought it would be a bit more scarce given the above. However, I suspect the number graded may also be high as it is the key card of the set. Many of the commons may not even be graded. All in all, it is one of those cards that gained a legendary status throughout the years!

Matt

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

awesome card--congrats--and love Batman lurking

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    Saw Kiss perform Halloween night 2000 at Dodger Stadium when I lived in Santa Monica....1st time ever. Smashing Pumpkins opened for them and came out dressed like the Beatles ~ it was quite a show.... Paul Stanley flew all over the stadium on a cable above the crowd...... tremendous show ~ a show I've never forgotten .....

Great shot!!!! I was at that show as well. It was fantastic!

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

The link below is to a story by Rich Mueller in 2012, that talks about the card.

Evidently, it was pulled due to Bucky Harris being on the card, as he was under contract with Topps at the time.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/fleer-tried-to-appease-collectors-looking-for-1959-ted-williams-card-68/

Steve

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Great iconic card.

I love the set also

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great card, congrats!

The idea of building this set has been lingering in my mind for a while. It's totally outside of the scope of my entire collection, but I find it really neat. And being a native San Diegan, there is the added coolness factor of Ted having grown up here as well.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

Do it Todd! I have a complete set and it was a blast to complete. The cards are gorgeous.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@AFLfan said:
    Great card, congrats!

The idea of building this set has been lingering in my mind for a while. It's totally outside of the scope of my entire collection, but I find it really neat. And being a native San Diegan, there is the added coolness factor of Ted having grown up here as well.

Todd--

Well, if it helps sway you:
    1. I am not a Red Sox fan.
    2. I have no ties to Boston.
    3. I do not live in San Diego

Despite the above, I fell into this set. Ted of course is one of the legends of the sport and he knew the importance of OBP before anyone else.

With the "beast" of the set done, the balance should be relatively easy. I would, however, like to find Card #11 (Ted and the Beast, Jimmie Foxx) in a 9 for my set as Jimmie Foxx is one of my all time favorite players.

Do it, do it!

Matt

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:

@secretstash said:

The link below is to a story by Rich Mueller in 2012, that talks about the card.

Evidently, it was pulled due to Bucky Harris being on the card, as he was under contract with Topps at the time.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/fleer-tried-to-appease-collectors-looking-for-1959-ted-williams-card-68/

Steve

Thanks for sharing! I always thought it had to do with Ted having a contract issue. Regardless, the card has obtained mythical proportions over the years and I am glad to have one!

• Options

@Mefer said:

@AFLfan said:
    Great card, congrats!

Todd--

Despite the above, I fell into this set. Ted of course is one of the legends of the sport and he knew the importance of OBP before anyone else.

With the "beast" of the set done, the balance should be relatively easy. I would, however, like to find Card #11 (Ted and the Beast, Jimmie Foxx) in a 9 for my set as Jimmie Foxx is one of my all time favorite players.

Do it, do it!

Matt

Ok, I bought my first two cards today. #12 and #52, both PSA 7s. I guess I'm on my way?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:

@Mefer said:

@AFLfan said:
    Great card, congrats!

Todd--

Do it, do it!

Matt

Ok, I bought my first two cards today. #12 and #52, both PSA 7s. I guess I'm on my way?

Glad to hear it!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

Congrats on starting the set. It really is cool - kind of like getting a biography in pictures of one of the all time greats.

• Options

And I just picked up two more PSA 7s... Cards #8 and #32. They're gorgeous. Thank you for sparking my interest, although my wife probably isn't as fond of your suggestions as I am. ;-)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

To watch Ted Williams at the plate is just a thing of beauty. He was a hitting genius.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

He sure opened up his hips quickly!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    He sure opened up his hips quickly!

Agree - makes sense why the shift was used on him.

• Options

UPDATE-- So I have about 12 more singles coming my way. After I get and post those, I will have almost half the set. This escalated quickly.... (shakes fist at PSA).

• Options

Congrats on getting close to the halfway point. It is a cool set and hope you keep posting your progress.