Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

California FRACTIONAL pioneer gold seems to be strong.

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't quite understand how they are being so sought. (I surmise)

People are paying as much or more for those than the lower end of the actual private coinage in the larger sizes.

Comments

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine they've got some unique appeal given that they don't really have an equivalent in federal coinage, with unique designs as well. Compare that to say, a Moffat $10 piece, where the devices are largely identical to the circulating Liberty coinage of the time, only the legends being distinct.

Plus, the discovery of some exceptionally well preserved pieces from the Central America might have created some new interest.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steep learning curve if you wish to collect those.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you're right about the series strength. I've always liked these, and I'm sure I have many. I haven't paid attention to the market on them for many years.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

People are paying as much or more for those than the lower end of the actual private coinage in the larger sizes.

Why does California fractional gold seem to be strong?

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    I imagine they've got some unique appeal given that they don't really have an equivalent in federal coinage, with unique designs as well. Compare that to say, a Moffat $10 piece, where the devices are largely identical to the circulating Liberty coinage of the time, only the legends being distinct.

Plus, the discovery of some exceptionally well preserved pieces from the Central America might have created some new interest.

Probably demand form a very low number of buyers. There are so many different combinations in fractional gold, it's a segment with limited financial liquidity and it doesn't take much to move prices.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Out of 568 coins needed for PCGS set registry, more than 80 coins have less than 3 existed. This limits the number of players to collect this series. Up to now, NO ONE ever complete this series of collection. Don't you think someone want to take this challenge?

Many R7 (7-9 known to exist) and HR7 (4-6 known to exist) only show up to market once for 10 years. When one shows in auction, you bet there are competition.

Very last, there is at least a coin dealer who bid on all rare varieties of calif fracs on recent auctions. I wish these explain your question.

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 7:05PM

@topstuf said:

Can you post some examples of ones being sold for strong prices?

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kool... Now I can start selling off a few. Make some extra $$$ too.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@topstuf said:

Can you post some examples of ones being sold for strong prices?

Just random observations from browsing lists.
    I like the larger pioneer gold but sold off fractionals as fast as I got them.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite series. I know that prices are in consistent but when a rare coin shows up for sale, that generally attracts a fair amount of attention. I really haven't seen many good rarities showing up in the last 5 years., so its been hard to collect this series. No supply?

Easton Collection
  • Options

The ones I got in the shop were mostly ..... stuff ..... that came in with various coins people had just "saved."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file