Home U.S. Coin Forum

Press release on the 1975-No/S Roosevelt Dime on Monstercoinmart.com

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 14, 2019 9:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently bought a nice 1954-S PCGS MS66+FB Roosevelt dime on eBay and went to Monstercoinmart.com to see if he had any further dimes I might be interested in and found a just released Press Release on the 1975-No/S Roosevelt Dime.

I was wondering where the coin ended up and happy to say I'm thriled with the result.

This write up is unreal: http://www.monstercoinmart.com/

Later, Paul.

Comments

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checked the link . . . . .got a 404-Not Found. Maybe it is me . . . . .

Drunner

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2019 8:35PM
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's Mitch and his son....right?

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Monstercoinmart.com is Justin Spivack whom is Mitch's son yes.

Later, Paul.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

The link worked for me.

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Monstercoinmart.com is Justin Spivack whom is Mitch's son yes.

Yes, he was a partner in the auction purchase

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... a lot of cash for a modern....and interesting backstory. I used to see boxes of mint sets in envelopes at coin shows in the PNW....never checked for the '75 proof no S....Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always check the 1975 sets!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 1:28PM

Congrats to @wondercoin and Justin!

Of note, it’s not in a registry set yet.

@Zoins said:

It will be very soon, trust me. B);)

Later, Paul.

@Zoins said:

The coin will be entered in the Halcyon Registry set but will not be published until one more coin can be found. It's not that tough of a date it's that Halcyon doesn't want to just fill the hole. He is looking for the right coin. When that coin comes along the set will go live.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Stooge (Paul) for your continued business and your “thumbs up” on the write up at Justin’s site. I think he did a great job on it as well.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 6:56AM

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more examples of this coin hiding in safe deposit boxes or even in an old shoe box in the back of someone's closet.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

“I wouldn't be surprised if there are more examples of this coin hiding in safe deposit boxes or even in an old shoe box in the back of someone's closet.”

Just my 2 cents... I think it is already figured into the price to some extent. If the coin was actually a “Mintage 2”, I believe it would have cost me closer to the $750,000 - $1,000,000 mark. Maybe even more?

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are more examples of this coin hiding in safe deposit boxes or even in an old shoe box in the back of someone's closet.

I would tend to doubt it. This coin has been known for 44 years and there were many press releases at the time of discovery. The fact that the 2 were found together leads me to believe that the coins were removed from the sets already packaged an these two were missed.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@PerryHall said:

I would tend to doubt it. This coin has been known for 44 years and there were many press releases at the time of discovery. The fact that the 2 were found together leads me to believe that the coins were removed from the sets already packaged an these two were missed.

The first 1794 Starred Reverse Large Cent wasn't discovered til the 1890's. Just because a coin has been known for "x" amount of years, doesn't mean there aren't more out there. Agreed with Mr. Wondercoin. I'm sure it's figured into the price somehow. Who knows, maybe there's a roll of 1964-D Peace Dollars out there.

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

I think it’s figured into the price too.
    A very astute collector who understands the circumstances feels the price is right.
    For a few dollars more, the buyer may have passed, and for a few dollars less, he may not have received the chance to buy it.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I recently bought a nice 1954-S PCGS MS66+FB Roosevelt dime on eBay and went to Monstercoinmart.com to see if he had any further dimes I might be interested in and found a just released Press Release on the 1975-No/S Roosevelt Dime.

I was wondering where the coin ended up and happy to say I'm thriled with the result.

This write up is unreal: http://www.monstercoinmart.com/

Thanks for the link. It's a great article and a couple things I didn't know.

Those '54-S's are pretty tough. Just finding a good strike is plenty tough enough.

Tempus fugit.

Don't forget that over a century and a half passed before another 1854-S $5 gold coin was discovered.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the things that keeps us collectors going-the "what if's".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Don't forget that over a century and a half passed before another 1854-S $5 gold coin was discovered.

If another century and half pass before the next 1975 noS specimen found, I don’t think it will matter to most of us.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004

@Currin said:

@PerryHall said:

If another century and half pass before the next 1975 noS specimen found, I don’t think it will matter to most of us.

Or a new specimen could be found tomorrow or next week or next month or next year or...…..

never again.

Wondercoin

Lots of modern bashing going on, I love it.

Later, Paul.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

It's hard for most people to admit that a 1975 dime might be a little scarcer than a 1916-D dime.

Or even a lot scarcer than an 1894-S dime. ;)

Tempus fugit.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

@Stooge said:

It's hard for most people to admit that a 1975 dime might be a little scarcer than a 1916-D dime.

Or even a lot scarcer than an 1894-S dime. ;)

Well, scarce is only half the equation.

Cloud 9 is a priceless destination.

It’s been a long time since I was on Cloud 9. The two kids’ birth almost 3 decades ago? Maybe the last time I was there. How about you Nick?

Wondercoin

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

“The day after the sale was finalized and it finally sunk in that he now owns his "Dream Coin" he told me he was on cloud 9.“

:)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t collect moderns but that price makes sense. Sweet article. I can see why that would be considered a dream coin if that’s your genre.

FWIW this February a 2000 Tom Brady RC sold for $400k. There were 100 made. This card was a pop 2/0 grade wise

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file